Stats with Lewis vs without

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the input champ. Probably still think we can make the 8...
Na just picking best team available and get as many wins as we can, instead of throwing random combos in “to see what they offer” as you say, even tho those 2 players you mentioned haven’t been the best in there positions.....
Great thinking lololol

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na just picking best team available and get as many wins as we can, instead of throwing random combos in “to see what they offer” as you say, even tho those 2 players you mentioned haven’t been the best in there positions.....
Great thinking lololol
I'll wait to reserve my opinion of the combination of Lewis/Wakeham till after they play. Unlike you who has completely dismissed it based on what, performance? Did u already forget Wakeham outshone Coggar in his 2nd game in the NRL.

And only reason Wakeham got dropped was because he couldn't afford to play the kid next to weak defenders in CHN and Holland who couldn't help him. Jacko was to busy next to Coggar.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
More stats for the interested
  • With only Foran team scores 14 pts avg
  • With only Lewis team scores 18 pts avg
  • Together team scores 15 pts avg
Surprisingly the team scores more with Lewis than Foran
  • With only Foran team concedes 22 pts avg
  • With only Lewis team concedes 20 pts avg
  • Together team concedes 28 pts avg
Not surprisingly the team concedes less with Lewis than Foran

Overall when only Lewis plays we score more and concede less

Additionally over 2018/2019 with Foran we've won 7 of 22 games he played = 32% and without him we've won 8 of 21 games he didn't play = 38%. We win slightly more without Foz.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll never get good at attacking.
Agree with AlphaPapa. He needs to stack on some muscle and use his body differently - probably in the backrow. I like that he's getting his kicks away a lot quicker.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll wait to reserve my opinion of the combination of Lewis/Wakeham till after they play. Unlike you who has completely dismissed it based on what, performance? Did u already forget Wakeham outshone Coggar in his 2nd game in the NRL.

And only reason Wakeham got dropped was because he couldn't afford to play the kid next to weak defenders in CHN and Holland who couldn't help him. Jacko was to busy next to Coggar.
Haven’t dismissed anything
But you simply don’t sack players that are our best choices in that position simply to see what other combos offer
Horrible thinking

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last two seasons:

With Lewis 8-11
Without Lewis 6-18

The defensive steel he gives that left edge is immense. Is easily one of the top halves defensively and is forming a nice combo with Cogger. Think we should persist with these two.
His attack is substandard...he isn't a half back.....don't know why so many people blow his trumpet....

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven’t dismissed anything
But you simply don’t sack players that are our best choices in that position simply to see what other combos offer
Horrible thinking
I know what your trying to say and I agree with you but if we have anything good atm its the chance to chop and change to see how certain combinations work at not much loss. Yes pride, winning and losing games matter but it will matter more when we have to win games to make the finals.

What if Lewis and Wakeham are a better combination and we don't know it until the back end of next year when making the 8 is terribly difficult because other combinations failed throughout the year?

Im just stating it may be more viable to trial these combinations now rather than later.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry but when has defense become the primary role for a half?

If not for coggers attacking input we still lose last night..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sorry but when has defense become the primary role for a half?

If not for coggers attacking input we still lose last night..
And where has Cogger's attack been all season? It's easier to attack when your defense is much better. You don't have to chase points and take stupid risks.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It makes sense that we tried/trying to shop Foran around. We need to play Cogger and Lewis together every week. Yes, we'd have to pay 700k towards Foran's 1.2m contract for someone to take him, but we're really relying on Cogger and Lewis to improve and be our long term halves when I look at what's available in the market 2020 and 21. If we don't play them then there is potential they'll sign with another club, or just not be ready in 2021 when we NEED to be competing and challenging every team.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It makes sense that we tried/trying to shop Foran around. We need to play Cogger and Lewis together every week. Yes, we'd have to pay 700k towards Foran's 1.2m contract for someone to take him, but we're really relying on Cogger and Lewis to improve and be our long term halves when I look at what's available in the market 2020 and 21. If we don't play them then there is potential they'll sign with another club, or just not be ready in 2021 when we NEED to be competing and challenging every team.
Lewis isn't even dead average, bloke is in no way a potential long-term halves option. No running game, not a ball player, shit kicking game, shit game management, has nothing with the ball in hand other than a forced cutout ball to the winger. Couldn't care less if he left, Wakeham has infinitely more upside as a half than him.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don’t care what the stats say, Lewis offers nothing but solid defense. He’s as slow as a tortoise, takes forever to catch and pass, has little vision, nearly always kicks straight to the winger or fullback and has a big head, physically and metaphorically. And I can’t believe people think he’ll make a centre, hooker or back rower. He’s a reserve grader, that’s it.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And where has Cogger's attack been all season? It's easier to attack when your defense is much better. You don't have to chase points and take stupid risks.
This is a great point because I think Foran is an ALPHA with the ball and probably Cogger sits back a bit but with Lewis he seems to grow a leg and take control more. They both need more games together.

Its easy to find fault if you want to, but the stats do add up, and yes it was a team effort especially with defense attitude last night (which is what I had always hoped Pay would bring) but we DID win and Lewis DID contribute. Personally I hope Foz stays injured for another 2 or 3 weeks and lets them develop a combo.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's not an entirely accurate statement.. it's easier to attack as a half when you are provided forward momentum

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's not an entirely accurate statement.. it's easier to attack as a half when you are provided forward momentum
It is an accurate statement. If the other team scores 8 points it's easier to get your team a try to win than if the opposition scores 30 and you're taking risks.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a running game he cant be a long term nrl option. He has great ticker and I hope he rectifies the deficiency

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been saying for years! Get Matthew Johns or another halves coach in to mentor these 2! I’m sorry but I hardly remember Steve Georgalis being in the top 5 of halves when he played? Get Noddy Kimmorley if can’t get Johns. Terry Lamb and Turvey were my favourite players but I’m not sure they can pass on there talent? Maybe even Sterling who is one of the best brains in the games history

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Defence is great. Not convinced he is a halves player. Lacks a decent kicking game and ball playing ability. Cogger as a half imo shits all over him. Would like to see him in the team maybe as a lock if he beefed up, or off the bench. Would go with cogger and wakeham atm for the future

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
These two play well off each other at the moment.
If we were relying on Coggers kicks to get us out of trouble or attack we are up shits creek.
If we are relying on Lewis to run same.
They can both add these traits to their arsenal but without being selected together this will never happen. The constant chopping and changing is doing neither any favours.
In saying this I still think Foran / Lewis combo is the best option, but if we are looking to the future we need to bite the bullet and stick with these 2 young halves.

Enjoy the win

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Defence is great. Not convinced he is a halves player. Lacks a decent kicking game and ball playing ability. Cogger as a half imo shits all over him. Would like to see him in the team maybe as a lock if he beefed up, or off the bench. Would go with cogger and wakeham atm for the future
Cogger actually has an idea, Lewis doesn't. I like how Cogger looks to carry the ball to different areas and uses a change of pace and direction to challenge the defence. Honestly think he would play even better with more freedom, looks like the type of player that wants to get his hands on the ball as much as possible, we should get him to the left of the ruck more often. Wakeham is silky as, skillset is miles ahead of Lewis.