Credit to Deano

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
If we add Ramien and maybe Api and get a healthy Foz next year who knows what could be.. The team as a whole played well, good game plan also.. Maybe CA is pulling a few strings in the game plan?
I really believe JMK has the goods at hooker. In order of need I would search for:

1. Lock (in lieu of Elliot)
2. Prop (to start in in lieu of Napa)
3. Centre (to permantely banish Holland to reggies)

I think we should be waiting another 6-8 months to monitor the progress of Okunbor and JMK as our 2 and 9 options

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing to do with pay, boys played with passion and heart cause of 3 things chn DWZ and Tolman.
Finally !!! And I will keep saying this as previously keep saying lol.

#payout

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really believe JMK has the goods at hooker. In order of need I would search for:

1. Lock (in lieu of Elliot)
2. Prop (to start in in lieu of Napa)
3. Centre (to permantely banish Holland to reggies)

I think we should be waiting another 6-8 months to monitor the progress of Okunbor and JMK as our 2 and 9 options
We don't need a Lock. Jackson will be playing Lock next year with Stimson coming over. I think we'll sign a marquee prop, Jake Trbojevic or Arrow (for e.g.) come 2021. A good Centre for value is Ramien currently, as we'd have to pay current Centres at better clubs somewhere between Centre to Fullback $. I wouldn't mind Koroisau for 400k (he's on 600k). Dallin played well tonight (and most games this year tbh), but I'd still like to make a play for Tom Trbojevic or Latrell and push Dallin to the Wing (that's his position for New Zealand). Add another bench Prop like Flegler from the Broncos (reminds me of Ben Hannant) ready to take Tolman's spot when he retires and we got a squad!

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
We don't need a Lock. Jackson will be playing Lock next year with Stimson coming over. I think we'll sign a marquee prop, Jake Trbojevic or Arrow (for e.g.) come 2021. A good Centre for value is Ramien currently, as we'd have to pay current Centres at better clubs somewhere between Centre to Fullback $. I wouldn't mind Koroisau for 400k (he's on 600k). Dallin played well tonight (and most games this year tbh), but I'd still like to make a play for Tom Trbojevic or Latrell and push Dallin to the Wing (that's his position for New Zealand). Add another bench Prop like Flegler from the Broncos ready to take Tolman's spot when he retires and we got a squad!
Agree with Jackson needing to move to lock, he looked gassed tonight and won't be an 80 minute player next year. We are paying him too much to be our long term lock past 2020 though. Offers too little in attack. If he takes a paycut from 650k great.

Yep either Trbo or Arrow would be massive for us, Trbo is versatile and can play lock as good as any in the game too.

Tom or Latrell are a wet dream, if we land either our attack takes a giant step forward.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree, when we manage to string together 3 or 4 performances like this, then I would argue he has actually gotten somewhere with this team. At the moment, though two seasons he has failed to convince me, one unexpected win doesn't change anything.

Our expectiations of this team have skewed so low.
As people have said, same thing happened last year and we still came out and had a shocker at the start of this year so ....

All for giving the coach time ... but he needs to show A LOT more for me to give him my full support. The win was a start but only that. Needs a lot more.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit to dwz more so than deano the kiwi captain has turned us round with his leadership

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. Got shot down for mentioning it last year and now the exact same thing looks to be happening once again and the usual lot are jumping around screaming and shouting like we're onto something big lol.
To be fair, it's not the same thing at all. This was a gritty win based and fantastic goal line defense. Last year they threw the ball around on every single play and racked up big scores. So yes, the timing of the win may be similar, but that's where it ends.
The Panthers needed this win after last weeks effort against the Raiders, but we stuck in there for a great win.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the worst squad in the NRL and he is getting huge improvement from the team. Lewis and CHN in particular.

Deano will lead us to another premiership
I don’t know if your pulling my cock or tooting my
Horn but credit where credits due he
Did do a good job with this team the last few weeks

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To be fair, it's not the same thing at all. This was a gritty win based and fantastic goal line defense. Last year they threw the ball around on every single play and racked up big scores. So yes, the timing of the win may be similar, but that's where it ends.
The Panthers needed this win after last weeks effort against the Raiders, but we stuck in there for a great win.
Fair point though it still doesn't change the fact that we still can't perform when it matters. And don't say it matters now when the season is done and dusted for us...the quality of NRL sides are crap and a few better performances early on could've made a big difference to how our season turned out.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's just say he will be a good transition to a better coach.
No question though the players are united under him and they're playing for each other.
And that is all that is required for a team to work as a cohesive unit and gain more success. But can the Dogs be that team? We've been told time will tell, and maybe we're seeing that time finally come? I'm sceptical at this stage, and will watch our next games with a bit more interest.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a win by a Team effort. Their defence was what won them the game. The amount of ball Penrith had was crazy at certain parts of the game. The ref gave them 3 penalties in a row before they finally scored. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game and celebrated like all of us with the win. DWZ is a major signing for the dogs not sure how they did it but so happy they did.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We do have the worst squad in the NRL, you’re right.
Maybe that's a point in our favour? There are other sides with better rosters and experience performing as poorly as we are on occasion. Dragons, Warriors, Cowboys, Bunnies have much better rosters, and recognised coaches, yet they play like we do at times.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe that's a point in our favour? There are other sides with better rosters and experience performing as poorly as we are on occasion. Dragons, Warriors, Cowboys, Bunnies have much better rosters, and recognised coaches, yet they play like we do at times.
Yeah, it’s a credit to Pay that this squad is still turning up for each other and is usually competitive.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the worst squad in the NRL and he is getting huge improvement from the team. Lewis and CHN in particular.

Were 2nd last, maybe and only maybe we might have been higher up if we had a better coach, Pay still has to be given the flick, and no other coach in the comp would keep selecting Lichshit for fg he's fucking hopeless.
I'll be glad to never see Lichshit in Bulldogs colour's ever again, he can go to the sharks and take Pay with him.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Credit where credits due, I’ll take the wins and effort displayed over last month or so, well done Dean.
How much do we make of the ‘help’ we were told he would get?

Still a long way to the top which is what we aspire, not just being competitive. Have we really taken the upward turn?

Cogger looks promising but needs a halves partner, Foran and Lewis are not our futures. Wakeham, for me still a possible definitely not a ‘lock-in’ yet.

Our forwards still get dominated, our ruck dominance is non existent and defensive line speed very very poor.

I did like the work from dummy half last night, I’m assuming it’s something identified by Pay, we have forwards hitting the ball flat from Lichaa and supporting at the line, we never saw that until now.

DWZ has far exceeded my expectations and made a massive massive difference.

Let’s see where we go from here

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't need a Lock. Jackson will be playing Lock next year with Stimson coming over. I think we'll sign a marquee prop, Jake Trbojevic or Arrow (for e.g.) come 2021. A good Centre for value is Ramien currently, as we'd have to pay current Centres at better clubs somewhere between Centre to Fullback $. I wouldn't mind Koroisau for 400k (he's on 600k). Dallin played well tonight (and most games this year tbh), but I'd still like to make a play for Tom Trbojevic or Latrell and push Dallin to the Wing (that's his position for New Zealand). Add another bench Prop like Flegler from the Broncos (reminds me of Ben Hannant) ready to take Tolman's spot when he retires and we got a squad!
We wont be signing any off the turbo boys. This is strategy by our club showing our hand to Manly letting them know we will lay off the turbo boys and have the money but instead we want another player. Not so expensive but quality.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that is all that is required for a team to work as a cohesive unit and gain more success. But can the Dogs be that team? We've been told time will tell, and maybe we're seeing that time finally come? I'm sceptical at this stage, and will watch our next games with a bit more interest.
Wouldn't read too much into the success at the backend of the season. Last 3 years we've finished the season well. It's how we start the season- that's really an indicator (bar injuries)

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Sorry Deano, you still suck, the best game this year by the boys especially DWZ, doesn't make you a good coach

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair point though it still doesn't change the fact that we still can't perform when it matters. And don't say it matters now when the season is done and dusted for us...the quality of NRL sides are crap and a few better performances early on could've made a big difference to how our season turned out.
And we would be having a totally different conversation now if we had have had those few close games become wins. Like the melbourne game.
In the context of our season, this game means little, but in the context of where we are at as a team and a club, with all the negativity, bad press, salary can position, and quality of our current squad, it was a moral boosting win for all concerned.
As others have mentioned though, I'm sure the fact it was Tolmans 200th for the club had a lot to do with our effort, but regardless of the motivation, the outcome of the match will provide the same benefits to the team.