Official Round 20 - Bulldogs vs Panthers Discussion Thread

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Told youse quietly confident that was pretty gutsy from the boys though Cogger was fantastic today
He was very good in attack and I don’t want to be negative but his defence.... well the less said the better..

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought maybe the panthers had an off night but a mate of mine who watched it on fox and said we were rock solid in defence and frustrated the panthers forcing them into errors.

He's a tigers supporter and reckons we'll b hard to beat next week...….

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cogger was outstanding in attack tonight but kudos to Jackson for making covering tackles to save Cogger a few times
It was a good effort by most of the boys a lot of mistakes but defence was spot on. DWZ is the best buy we have had for a long time

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fantastic to get a win. Credit to all.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was a good effort by most of the boys a lot of mistakes but defence was spot on. DWZ is the best buy we have had for a long time
DWZ will add a whole new element to his game after a full off season with the boys too. He’s only had a handful of games so he’s learning about who to trail and back up once he knows that look out!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ will add a whole new element to his game after a full off season with the boys too. He’s only had a handful of games so he’s learning about who to trail and back up once he knows that look out!
His just exciting to watch. Yeah i agree still getting use to the team didnt relise how good he was such a hard runner and fearless

Last edited:

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit where its due, at least our defence is solid. We might be missing a few a few key players compared to other teams but at least we are playing for each other

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His just exciting to watch. Yeah i agree still getting use to the team didnt relise how good he was such a hard runner and fearless
I can’t remember us ever having a back that ran this hard with the amount of pace DWZ has. Utai ran hard but doesn’t possess the pace that DWZ does. Can’t wait for him to split the defence on a kick return and go the distance.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can’t remember us ever having a back that ran this hard with the amount of pace DWZ. Utai ran hard but doesn’t possess the pace that DWZ does. Can’t wait for him to split the defence on a kick return and go the distance.
He has no fear. He smashes into the tacklers, if he ever busts them i doubt they will catch him agree with you. Just watching him catch the ball at fullback and bringing the ball up i hope meaney is learning from this guy. I thought hoppa did well tonight especially with the high balls

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We didn't look like wooden spoonwra tonigh. Look forward to the next 'upset'.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty simple...don't waste your time trailing Lichaa

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
After the game on fox they had DWZ and he was saying how proud he was off the boys listening to his direction when setting the defensive line - so communication could have been a key part
Anyone that’s played the game knows how valuable a fullback that talks and sees where the line needs tightening is worth more than just what he does with the ball
I think Meaney being younger lacked greatly in this area
Not to mention dwz Carry’s

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bankwest is an awesome stadium.
Huge defensive effort by the boys.
Dallan is a beast, our best player by far.

Our reserve grade fullback looks to be a serious prospect for the future, won us the game.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only 600 replies on match thread after a great win
What on earth is going on in the kennel

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a fantastic effort by the boys. We really dug deep this week and we stifled wonder boy and his offsider Baloney. In fact Maloney was an error machine last night and Cleary was nowhere to be seen.

There were a lot of Panthers fans down in the corner who delighted in booing DWZ every time he got the ball and it was indeed glorious when he joined in the celebrations to silence them when Meaney scored down in that very corner of the field. Penrith fans would boo their Grandma if they could and they are one of my least favourite fan bases. Once we had the game though they were conspicuous by their quietness. Satisfying to say the least and the ones that managed to get tickets amongst the Dogs fan base left quickly and quietly at the end.

This game had it all and we defended like there was no tomorrow when Penrith had a mountain of possession in the last twenty. They had a whopping 57% possession overall and won just about every single stat in the game, bar line breaks and kicking metres.

Lewis was terrific in defence, practically cutting a few blokes in half and a couple of the tackles were very important and even though his kicking was off at times that was pretty effective too. I was watching Edwards the fullback from Penrith as he continually took kicks on the full but then I had the thought that maybe, just maybe ,the tactic was deliberate because seriously the guy had no idea how to run straight continually crabbing across field and our defence picked him off time after time. DWZ by comparison ran hard and straight every time and was way better than his counterpart. Considering Penrith had so much ball they should have finished strongly but to the contrary they looked knackered and unfit.

Tolman , even though binned, was a behemoth once again and made the most tackles at 43 in a fifty seven minute stint. Yep, he did get in the way a few times but gee you could not fault his efforts. Game 200 for the Dogs was a good one.

The officials were completely underwhelming with their efforts. No ten metres for the chocolate soldiers and they were allowed to lay all over us in defence. Add to that the penalty awarded against us for an incorrect play the ball which was caused by the fact that the marker pushed the man playing the ball, the put on report and that is all thirty out from the Panthers line when one of our players was oops sort of tripped just a little by Maloney....the fact that Belinda Sharpe had a real shocker so much so that when she was in control Cummins had to come in and take over to award a penalty she wouldn't....

We are still ways off being a truly competitive side in the competition but there were a whole lot of positives to take away from last night particularly our turning up in defence when it mattered and not dropping our heads when we were really up against it. I was chuffed for the boys because it would have been a travesty if they had lost last night such was their effort. Say what you will ,but for one of the only times this year we stuck it out to the bitter end.....