When was the last time the Dogs missed the finals 3 years in a row?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We missed the finals four years straight from 89-92.
Then we won the minor premiership in 93 & 94 and were premiers in 95.

Funny enough it was Chris Anderson as coach and Pay as player in that era. Now it's Anderson Director and Pay as coach, how ironic..lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then we won the minor premiership in 93 & 94 and were premiers in 95.

Funny enough it was Chris Anderson as coach and Pay as player in that era. Now it's Anderson Director and Pay as coach, how ironic..lol
So you're saying we have a couple of minor premierships and a premiership coming our way after this season is over? haha

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We missed the finals four years straight from 89-92.
Incorrect

We finished 5th and lost the playoff final to west's in 91, McGrady won the Rothams Medal that year.

Last time we missed the finals 3 years in a row was 1965!
54 years ago....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Incorrect

We finished 5th and lost the playoff final to west's in 91, McGrady won the Rothams Medal that year.

Last time we missed the finals 3 years in a row was 1965!
54 years ago....
That play off was a separate game and wasn’t part of the finals. It was a mid week play off because we finished level with the Magpies.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think it's both, massive damage and a group that appears to be in over it's head trying to fix it. TBH I'm not sure anyone else could have done better off the field because I don't have any inside info on what's happening behind the scenes, but I do know we could have done a lot better on the field with energy and enthusiasm - those two things should be easy for a coach to get out of a young group of players, but I've only seen us outdo our opponents on those 2 fronts a handful of times over the past couple of seasons.

A better coach might be able to build some confidence into these guys, instead he tells them and anyone else who'll listen that they aren't good enough to even compete with half the teams in the comp and that he can't help them to do so.
The board are in over their heads.
They are rewarding this shit by resigning Pay and standing by him.
All they have ever done is blame, that's not leadership.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That play off was a separate game and wasn’t part of the finals. It was a mid week play off because we finished level with the Magpies.
You right, however in the history books that game is listed as a playoff final and oddly has our ladder finish as 5th.

Either way, right now is the worst we have been for over 50 years and what makes it even more depressing is we all know our current administration are not capable of getting us out of this mess.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest issue this time is from the top to the bottom our club has decided that it's ok to have a mediocre culture that it's ok because it's a rebuilding year. We've also lacked the developmental ability of yesteryear.

In 2008, probably one of our worst seasons in the 2000s we were walkout on by first Mason then SBW, we won the spoon but there was always a glimmer. We had an extremely raw Barba and Idris coming up the latter who would become a star when he was on point and we went and bought Hannant, Ennis, Eastwood and Morris all of whom were instrumental in our 2009 season.

We literally bounced back after a year, which was followed by a poor 2010 and 2011 and then we nearly won it in 2012.

Our club's biggest issue now is it doesn't look to the future, we've faced different problems in the past and yet always came back from it because we believed we were a powerhouse and did whatever it took to get back to that point when we weren't. Nowadays listening to Pay say that we won't be a force in 2021 is like a slap in the face. Seems like making the 8 is good enough now

Even if we are rebuilding we should be telling everyone that we ARE a force and instill belief

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
First time in my lifetime. Been supporting the dogs since the early 90s and have never experienced such a shit era.
It took 5 years, but Des finally got us back for the 95 gf. He got us good.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve supported the dogs for 35 plus years and we have had some ordinary sides in that time but we have never had a side this piss weak especially in the forwards