Lewis keen to lock in long-term future as Dogs halfback

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not once did he take the line on v the Rooters just passed it to people in a worse position than himself. Great defender but that's just not enough to play 1st grade it's like he is scared to have a big hit put on himself.
Yes he did.. and why should a HB take himself out of the next play?

Banned
Reaction score
Problem is, if he goes elsewhere, will that coach get far more out of him than our current coach is?
Will we regret allowing him to move on?
Will we realise that the coaching staff appear out of their league?
Will Shifty coming aboard every Monday be enough to see Prince grow?

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lichaa floats it to smith who slips it to a flying tolman on the inside ## thats enough to break any defense

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol I'm shocked that he was dropped for defence and told to work on it , I think he has good D , if he was told to work on running game or kicks yes I could believe that but defence ? Really ?
What is pay on ?

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm afraid the problem is not our under performing halves but it is that our forwards are being dominated every week. Even the best halves struggle if the the forwards are getting pushed back. I don't know how anybody can make clear judgement on the level of skills our young halves have with what our forwards are doing. I have watched a few of our reserve grade games and because our forwards dominate the ruck I saw the likes of Liccha, Lewis, Brown and Wakeham look like champions.
A great forward pack makes the difference even to a Thurstan

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Trbojevic, Murray, Radley, Finucane.
4 multifaceted Locks with ball playing ability in 4 of the top 5 teams.

Ball playing locks are pretty resurgent
Wade Graham.

I think that Pay is trying that with Elliot, he just doesn't have the skill set.

Last edited:

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want him to stay long term but not at 7

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still like to see him and Foran string a few games together. I'm one of the few here that actually rate the bloke and has something to offer moving forward.

A few forced drop outs, some decent short kicks. Shithouse drop off the kick I agree which seems to be one of the only things everyone remembers.
I think he could make a lock or hooker. Probably best at lock.
I agree he has skills and deserves his chances.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he should play centre instead of montoya. With both Hoppa nnd Lewis in the centres, that will improve our defence. I think Cogger is coming a long great. If foran is healthy (highly doubt it) and we snag Korisau...we might see some good shit.

With a better coach.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis has declared he wants to be Canterbury-Bankstown's long-term halfback beyond this season after playing his first NRL match since round eight in Sunday's 20-12 loss against the Roosters.

The 22-year-old was a casualty of the Bulldogs' torrid start to the season, dropped to the Canterbury Cup before a six-week syndesmosis injury compounded his woes.

Lewis is contracted to Canterbury until the end of 2020 but his manager told NewsCorp Australia last month he would consider the playmaker's options elsewhere to ensure he gets regular NRL action.

However, Lewis is keen to remain at Canterbury and chalked up his manager's comments to irritation about the situation.

"I'd love to," Lewis told NRL.com when asked if he hopes to wear the Bulldogs No.7 jersey for years to come.

"My manager's always out there trying to find what's best for me in terms of where I'm playing. I read the article and I think he was just getting frustrated with how many fans were messaging him for explanations as to why [I was dropped].

"He'll manage that side of the business, I'll manage the football side."

While Dogs supporters were crying out for Lewis to be reinstated to first grade, he took the opportunity to improve areas that coach Dean Pay highlighted as shortcomings.

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Roosters

Strengthening his defence was high on the list and he stood tall against the Roosters, making 18 tackles and missing just one.

"He wanted me to work on a few aspects of my defence and he had to give a new combination a try because of our performances at the start [of the year]," Lewis said.

"As a half, you always take the team performances pretty heavily on yourself. So when I was playing, [he told me] what he wanted me to improve and trying to go and do that and not getting down and trying to stay positive."

Lewis thinks he gained a mental toughness from the setbacks of being axed from the NRL and suffering an injury a month later.

"It was a massive character builder," he said.

"[It was hard] coming back to the Canterbury Cup, managing that and trying to find positives and where you can work on your game and earn some playing time back in firsts.

"And then dealing with the frustration of getting an injury and it being six weeks [out]. It definitely tested me and tested the people around me because I get a bit grumpy.

"But I think I've come out the other end and definitely have a stronger character from that."

Despite a solid display against the Roosters at ANZ Stadium - save for a crucial dropped ball from the kick-off in the second half - Lewis is no certainty to keep his place next week as veteran Kieran Foran nears a return from a hamstring strain.

Foran and Jack Cogger have been Pay's preferred scrum-base combination for much of the season.

"[Foran] is running. We thought he would be right this week but I'm just guided by the medical team," Pay said.

Pay said Lewis was able to brush off the error which quelled Canterbury's momentum and led to a Roosters try but conceded the halfback's attention to detail was lacking.

"He moves on pretty quickly … Those are the type of errors we can cut out straight away," Pay said.

"That's an area we need to make sure we're a lot better in. I think it's a concentration thing. With Lachy, he's still only young and he's still learning."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/28/lewis-keen-to-lock-in-long-term-future-as-dogs-halfback/
He’s fucken shit he can fuck off, he’s a fraud