News Footy Star's 'Heroic' Action In Fighting House Fire Praised By Neighbours

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs NRL player Dylan Napa is used to feeling the heat, both on and off the field -- but Sunday saw him ran straight into a fire, helping to extinguish a blaze that threatened his neighbours’ homes.

The Canterbury forward, cheekily referred to as ‘Big Papi’, saw the flames from his Rose Bay apartment on William Street, and instantly ran down to help. He was among those who doused the fire with buckets of water until firefighters arrived.

The homeowners, whose property and cars were spared, told 10 News First they were grateful for the NRL star’s “heroic” actions because the professionals were caught up fighting a second blaze around the corner.

But Napa shrugged off the praise, telling 10 News First he simply did what any good neighbour would do.

An arsonist had set fire to a pile of hard rubbish in the street minutes after torching a brush fence off Stewart Street, which ignited a tree and then a home.

The offender was captured on security vision walking away seconds after setting the debris alight, then stopping to watch it burn.

Meanwhile, the family of five were heard screaming for help, seemingly trapped inside the burning home.

“My husband and I woke to the sounds of people screaming and calling for help,” neighbour Samantha Skinner said.

“(We) could see smoke and flames at the end of the street so we called triple-zero.”

Firefighters helped them escape through their back garden, unharmed. Detective Acting Inspector Michael Egan-Hirst said they were not hurt.

“We believe it’s an opportunistic incident, we don’t believe this family was targeted at all,” he told reporters.

Detectives have urged those responsible to hand themselves in, otherwise, they warn, they will “come for you”.

https://10daily.com.au/news/crime/a...ing-house-fire-praised-by-neighbours-20190729

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Of course he lives in Rose Bay. lol

What a pain in the arse that would be driving to and Belmore daily.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he only showed the same guts and tenacity on the field Klemmer would be an after thought.
But credit where credit is due.....Good on ya Papi :grinning:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So he helped put out a pile of rubbish?

Going by the headline I thought he ran in to a burning building and saved a family of 12 and their 44 pets

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure his pay packet helps him with the drive....I drive 250klms every day just to and from work plus driving for work...ain't no massive pay packet for me though

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neighbours propbably had some tape on him...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let down. Such a waste !!

#paysackpaysackhim !!!!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit of bravery, good stuff.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
He has always been good at creating a hole for people to pass through

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

About 40 mins give/take. I used to know a bloke who would commute to work from Newcastle to Sydney. Everyday.

What a Karmichael.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
About 40 mins give/take. I used to know a bloke who would commute to work from Newcastle to Sydney. Everyday.

What a Karmichael.
Honestly what a waste of your life doing that. 4+ hours a day easy on the road and then with normal work hours on top of that.

That's fucked.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Honestly what a waste of your life doing that. 4+ hours a day easy on the road and then with normal work hours on top of that.

That's fucked.
I know mate. I think he used to catch the train but that's still 2 hours at least. And I know another guy who lived in Gosford and would also commute to and from Sydney daily. One day there were bush-fires happening, and the F3 was closed and so were the trains. He was stuck in the city overnight lol.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If he starts playing well he might douse a few fires on the Kennel

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good on him.
Now we just need our opposition to run onto the field in flames so he'll actually tackle 'em. :D

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Not really.. 25- 30 min against traffic drive... Coming from the Shire during peak hour would be worse I reckon.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought Napa would of moved around the area.

I got that impression a few weeks after he signed with us, as one late evening i had to go up to the late night chemist in Campsie across the road from Canterbury Hospital, and Taukeiaho was inside waiting for some pills. Thought, he came to the area to see his mate big papi

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought Napa would of moved around the area.

I got that impression a few weeks after he signed with us, as one late evening i had to go up to the late night chemist in Campsie across the road from Canterbury Hospital, and Taukeiaho was inside waiting for some pills. Thought, he came to the area to see his mate big papi

watch some knucklehead pull your comment out of context and nek minute......

Taukeiaho to dogs