When was the last time the Dogs missed the finals 3 years in a row?

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the lowest period we been by far we usually rebuild and come back it’s taking longer this time and understandably patience is wearing a bit thin

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imo we have had some rough times in the past 30+ years but this is the worst in terms of results and the length time for recovery.

What i dont know about this is whether the damage this time is bigger than in the past, like player exodus of late 80s, salary cap scandal which led us to gradually releasing players etc, or the people in charge of fixing this arent as good as past management.
The difference with today's Bulldogs is they don't have strong leadership at the coaching level or playing ranks. No offence to Jacko,Tolman and Pay but they aren't in the same league as Baa and C Anderson or Price and Folkes.

Plus we relied on good juniors coming through the system to plug the gaps. Least this problem is starting to sort itself out as the club from Flegg down is really looking healthy again.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well guys through Pay's own admission next year will make it 4 years running. We are on one hell of a shit streak led by our super coach.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imo we have had some rough times in the past 30+ years but this is the worst in terms of results and the length time for recovery.

What i dont know about this is whether the damage this time is bigger than in the past, like player exodus of late 80s, salary cap scandal which led us to gradually releasing players etc, or the people in charge of fixing this arent as good as past management.
I think it's both, massive damage and a group that appears to be in over it's head trying to fix it. TBH I'm not sure anyone else could have done better off the field because I don't have any inside info on what's happening behind the scenes, but I do know we could have done a lot better on the field with energy and enthusiasm - those two things should be easy for a coach to get out of a young group of players, but I've only seen us outdo our opponents on those 2 fronts a handful of times over the past couple of seasons.

A better coach might be able to build some confidence into these guys, instead he tells them and anyone else who'll listen that they aren't good enough to even compete with half the teams in the comp and that he can't help them to do so.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Although it wasn't our best period, it wasn't as bad as it seemed:

1988: We came 2nd in 1988 and won the Premiership.
1989: We won 10 and lost 10. In today's comp we'd have made the top 8.
1990: We won 12 games and lost 9. In today's comp we'd have made the top 8.
1991: Finished 5th and made finals.
1992: We won 10 and lost 10. In today's comp we'd have made the top 8.
I don’t see us contending for a spoon in any of those years. Go Pay your on fire

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard dean Ritchie , and Laurie Daley and Ricky Stuart a few weeks ago talking about us on the radio and said if there is one club who will never stay down then it’s the bulldogs . Laurie said we were a team he hated playing cause if it wasn’t the team beating us it was the fans he said the kick off was always scary with his back to the crowd and his face to the big mobile bulldogs forwards .

I know we will be back but it shits me offwhen the younger generation thinks we are shit

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Being a supporter for the entire 80's I would have to say this is the worse Bulldogs team I have ever seen, and even though Pay is a reserve grade coach at best the players are the ones on the field, not all the players but the majority should be ashamed of themselves.
The players need to be told it's not always about money it's about pride and ATM our team has no pride in the jersey their wearing.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They mispelt it.. was meant to be 2 premiershits by 2019..

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd have to go back to the 50' & early 60's to find a Bulldogs team going so bad for a period of years like this mob & there ain't any excuses now with a salery cap plus a mega rich leagues club backing us.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The des era should have ended in 2015, mediocrity become a pass under des n dib. This is a 5 to 10year fix now.
Yes we haven't factored that into the equation as much as we should have. Hasler should have gone end of 2015. It didn't help keeping him. Nothing changed. We showed loyalty to a failing coach and in doing so, further downgraded the Club.

Same mistake being commited on the club now.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Yes we haven't factored that into the equation as much as we should have. Hasler should have gone end of 2015. It didn't help keeping him. Nothing changed. We showed loyalty to a failing coach and in doing so, further downgraded the Club.

If he was sacked in 2015 all hell would have broken loose, sacking him after one bad year. Hindsight is great

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score

Just think if during the des era we kept the developing talent like the crop from 2010 /2011 , we would still be a powerhouse and prob won a gf along the way .

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When was the last time we won 3 games in a row

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If he was sacked in 2015 all hell would have broken loose, sacking him after one bad year. Hindsight is great
A lot were complaining about Hasler then and the style of football. It is widely acknowledged, even by Dib, that the dream run we had getting to the 2014 fg, masked serious flaws in Haslers theories and gameplan. The club blindly supported his every whim and paid the penalty.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot were complaining about Hasler then and the style of football. It is widely acknowledged, even by Dib, that the dream run we had getting to the 2014 fg, masked serious flaws in Haslers theories and gameplan. The club blindly supported his every whim and paid the penalty.
"It is widely acknowledged, even by Dib, that the dream run we had getting to the 2014 fg, masked serious flaws in Haslers theories and gameplan" where was this widely acknowledged? where is your source?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score