If Titans sign Holbrook I blame Dogs board for effing it up

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Holbrook delayed his decision on taking the Titans job even when under pressure from his UK club (who gave him a deadline) because he was hoping on a genuine offer from the Dogs as head coach. He's worked at the Dogs before so surely his preference would be to return to somewhere familiar in a role where he will be able to pick the roster very soon with bucket loads of cash to spend. If the Dogs board stuffed this up because they feel they owe Pay something or (even worse) if because they believe it will make them look stupid paying out Pay after they extended him earlier this year then they should hang their heads in shame. If they would rather f..k us than look silly they should all get the f..k out of the club.
Yes I feel sorry for Pay but he's been given plenty of opportunity to show what he's got and unfortunately he's got nothing. In the first game against Melbourne this year first half we attacked the correct side of the field and showed a weakness in the Storm defence scoring 2 tries and I started thinking gee Pay might be smart after all but then in the second half we attacked the other side of the field. If something is working why would you stop using it ? Second game against the Storm, Cogger kicks down the throat of Josh Addo Carr all f..king day. What a brilliant game plan / coach NOT.
Does Pay come across to you as being intelligent in any press conference he's ever held ?. No !. I very much doubt he would be capable of any master game plan. Happy to keep him as assistant coach. He sure isn't gonna get any head coach offers anywhere else in Australia anyway. If he wants to try the UK he's welcome.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Holbrook was the only candidate for the Titans job.

Titans were after him way before the 'Dogs' were after him.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theres a plan in place agitators...dont fret. As one wag famously said...the last time a coach or a board listened to the fans...before long he was sitting with them. Lets see what happens if we support Pay #Talkthecoachup

Banned
Reaction score
What is the plan then?
As from the outside, it looks like a shipwreck waiting to happen, with no captain steering the ship, no wheel to steer it and no lookouts to warn of land ahead!
TL DR we look fucked with nil promise for the future beyond a warchest, which is going to do fuck all if wasted on plodders, good ole boys etc.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Dogs are busy still scratching their arses.. while everyone gets on with business..

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dogs are busy still scratching their arses.. while everyone gets on with business..
Yup , we suck at getting anything done..!!! No wonder we are so far behind being competitive!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As frustrated I am.... I really wonder if the board would be just sitting around doing nothing with all the pressure they're under. .. doubt it. There must be some sort of plan in place.... maybe the plan is to let Pay see out the last year of the cap restrictions and bring on someone like Griffin who has a better eye for talent. I'm not sold on Holbrook ... Last thing we need is signing up another rookie coach and he ends up being a flop.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As frustrated I am.... I really wonder if the board would be just sitting around doing nothing with all the pressure they're under. .. doubt it. There must be some sort of plan in place.... maybe the plan is to let Pay see out the last year of the cap restrictions and bring on someone like Griffin who has a better eye for talent. I'm not sold on Holbrook ... Last thing we need is signing up another rookie coach and he ends up being a flop.
Holbrooks not a rookie though

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I don't know what everyone expected from the board, no cap space for 3 years. Even after releasing players on massive overs we still have no cap. Add to the previous board/coach neglect of juniors and we have here today. Ok Napa was a bad buy but klemmer wanted out. Pay isnt the right man but who else. I'm guessing flanno is who they want. Prob a better choice for instant results. We have 1 chance with a full cap and plenty of recruiting to do. We stuff this up and there will be another 15yrs before win a gf. The balance between development and recruiting is important especially now as the club lacks genuine 1st graders in the pipeline. Atm the only players worthy on 2021 start in 1st DWZ, Jacko, CHN and Smith. Hoppa isn't worth 600ish but a decent player better at 1. Big calls to come, I prefer some experienced people making the calls than businessmen .

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what everyone expected from the board, no cap space for 3 years. Even after releasing players on massive overs we still have no cap. Add to the previous board/coach neglect of juniors and we have here today. Ok Napa was a bad buy but klemmer wanted out. Pay isnt the right man but who else. I'm guessing flanno is who they want. Prob a better choice for instant results. We have 1 chance with a full cap and plenty of recruiting to do. We stuff this up and there will be another 15yrs before win a gf. The balance between development and recruiting is important especially now as the club lacks genuine 1st graders in the pipeline. Atm the only players worthy on 2021 start in 1st DWZ, Jacko, CHN and Smith. Hoppa isn't worth 600ish but a decent player better at 1. Big calls to come, I prefer some experienced people making the calls than businessmen .
I agree. The board needs time to get this all sorted out. Jumping the gun will just put us further back, and sacking the board for a different one in February will push is way way back.
I'm sure the board has a goal and a plan moving forward, and just because we dont understand it, it doesnt mean they dont.
I'm disappointed Holbrook will coach the tits next year, and yes we have missed out on a few players of late, but we need to own the mess we are in, and it's obvious that we are not a desirable place for players or coaches to want to come. However, I'm sure this will change, and unfortunately, as supporters we need to just ride this one out and be patient.
The one thing I can see the board genuinely fixing is our junior development and pathways programs. This is vitally important to a successful club, it is its foundation. We need to get this right and then build on it. Success will come, just not as quickly as we all want.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree. The board needs time to get this all sorted out. Jumping the gun will just put us further back, and sacking the board for a different one in February will push is way way back.
I'm sure the board has a goal and a plan moving forward, and just because we dont understand it, it doesnt mean they dont.
I'm disappointed Holbrook will coach the tits next year, and yes we have missed out on a few players of late, but we need to own the mess we are in, and it's obvious that we are not a desirable place for players or coaches to want to come. However, I'm sure this will change, and unfortunately, as supporters we need to just ride this one out and be patient.
The one thing I can see the board genuinely fixing is our junior development and pathways programs. This is vitally important to a successful club, it is its foundation. We need to get this right and then build on it. Success will come, just not as quickly as we all want.
Much of what you say makes sense, however, a lot doesn't.

Us Agitators/Soldiers want improvement and change from his steady as she goes mentality. That is the crux of it.

We understand all the excuses. They are valid.

No one is improving the show tho.

You admit Pay not good enough. You are disappointed Holbrook now coaching Titans. You recognise players don't want to come here nor coaches.

First things first. Get the coach players will come here for. Half the problem fixed.

Pay, Andersons, the Board may have a plan, but, the plan can't work without a new coach. Any plan stops right there.

They have been miserably disappointing attracking players of the quality the Club needs. Their capabilities must be questioned at this time. We have been ineffectual attracking mid to average hookers etc etc what the hell change have we got attracking game breakers...even with our war chest.

By anybodies true measure, not star gazing, not wishful, not trusting that it will all somehow work out, not in the Andersons we trust, ...facts based, we are just not up to scratch.

That's why the hope of a new coach in Hollbrook was so eagerly seized on by fans and why its so disappointing to realise things are staying the same.

Proof positive? Pay picks same team with Holland, Kite Meaney etc. No thought into the best positions or acknowledging weaknesses. Just blind adherence to getting 50-60 games into his favourites or his signings.

It's just not good enough.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All we can hold out for now is quality signings for 2021 after Nov 1. Yes we will be paying overs for some to come here, but sign 1-2 decent players (Marquee/Superstar $$$) you'd expect more to follow.

Cannot expect the club to sign superstars with no $$ and no one approachable.

That's what i'm hoping out for now, its all I have. Bit Optimistic but id say 2020 should be a slight improvement, as tough as that will be. Hopefully one more signing for 2020 (Api would be nice)

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay has said himself the team won’t win until they get rid of him as coach in 2021.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who says the board even wanted him ?
What, because the kennel circle jerks, 3 rows deep, over him, the board must hire him ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying but the issue is if they let Pay see out his contract then he probably also has a say on recruiting. If not then it's Hill and Anderson which is equally disastrous.

Problem is you get a new coach in 2021 and he doesn't agree with the recruits like the tigers are facing now. Then you're at rebuild 2.0.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holbrook wanted to coach the dogs, it's the board who stuck with Pay. Titans got him because of dogs wanted to stick with pay. Not everyone is happy with the decision and some people who are associated with the club working behind the scenes aren't happy with that decision as well. But it is what is let's hope that pay can make a miracle and prove us wrong which we all know that ain't going to happen lol