Pays Favourites

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With another year of Pay as coach essentially confirmed, will he risk losing or stifling the development of young prospects like Wakeham, Ogden, To'omaga, Harper, Kalache etc in favour of his pets like he's done with others?

I can't see how this is healthy. It's frightening that the Andersons don't see a problem with any of this. Pay talks about players needing 50-60 games in FG but the problem is only a handful of his favourites are picked week in week out regardless of how bad they play whereas other players are dropped on a whim every second week...

I worry that going into next season more players will not realise their potential or be given a chance because they'll be alienated by Pays favouritism and blind loyalty to his recruits. It's this kind of nepotism and stubbornness which has and still is debilitating the club and needs to change urgently.

Last edited:

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elliott and C. Smith contracts to be extended and upgraded.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
With another year of Pay as coach essentially confirmed, will he risk losing or stifling the development of young prospects like Wakeham, Ogden, To'omaga, Harper, Kalache etc in favour of his pets like he's done with others?

I can't see how this is healthy. It's frightening that the Andersons don't see a problem with any of this. Pay talks about players needing 50-60 games in FG but the problem is players like Meaney have proven that they're not first graders and the kids that might be first graders can't play more than 2 games, let alone 50 or 60.

I worry that going into next season more players will not realise their potential or be given a chance because they'll be alienated by Pays favouritism and blind loyalty to his recruits. It's his kind if nepotism and stubbornness which has and still is debilitating the club.
I am afraid us(the fans) are the only ones care about our team, this Board, the previous one and the next one, only care about they chairs like politicians. No much we can do unless we are united

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Elliott and C. Smith contracts to be extended and upgraded.
Both should have been dropped weeks ago. Any other coach would have benched or dropped Napa by now to send him a message or called him out to lift his game.

It's scary that no player has improved under Pay in two seasons and now we have another season to look forward to where the same issues will continue to plague the team.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Both should have been dropped weeks ago. Any other coach would have benched or dropped Napa by now to send him a message or called him out to lift his game.

It's scary that no player has improved under Pay in two seasons and now we have another season to look forward to where the same issues will continue to plague the team.
No player has improved because they have gone backwards :p lol

Besides Smith. That guy is a gun.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No player has improved because they have gone backwards :p lol

Besides Smith. That guy is a gun.
I think Smith hasn't developed at all since last season. He could be great and is an amazing finisher and talent but he's been lazy in general play and never supports or runs from dummy half. If he were coached properly and made to work on his game, he could easily be one of the top wingers in the comp.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A question to the pay lovers....

Name me one player who has improved under Pay?
He's not going to get fired. But for the life of me I can't see how no one at the club has raised any issues with his tactics and constant selection of certain players while not giving youngsters consistent opportunities.

Do we even have a committee or mid/end of season review? It honestly seems like no one at the club gives a fuck. Are the Andersons even alive? When was the last time anyone heard from them? Or Hill for that matter? He flies over to England and comes back with no coach and no signings. What a waste of money and time that was.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Smith hasn't developed at all since last season. He could be great and is an amazing finisher and talent but he's been lazy in general play and never supports or runs from dummy half. If he were coached properly and made to work on his game, he could easily be one of the top wingers in the comp.
100 %, and I think that applies to a few other younger guys who are not being developed or nurtured they should be with a gun coach.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh I agree with that. All his ability is natural talent instead of being developed.

Thing is pay is an assistant coach. Not a head coach. He needs someone to tell him what to do and identify the issue for him.

He was always a defensive style player so not surprised we are last in attack.

He does have the worst squad in the nrl by a country mile so it’s not easy. But 3 of our ex players made origin which he had in the squad last year and we still sucked balls.

When we will have our salary cap back in order I don’t think he is the coach that will rebuild us into a premiership contender. And making the 8 isn’t going to keep fans happy anymore.

Only guys he seems to get are ex nsw u20s players. Because he “coached” them in origin..... :sweat:

We need to be buying a fullback, a centre, a winger, new halves, a lock, a hooker. All of who are not only at the top of the game but rep standards. Not bringing in Meaney and cogger and Crighton as our saviours. Would have been better off not signing anyone if that was the case. We are in the conversation for the wooden spoon anyways.

And to think Napa will be here for a few more years and that was the replacement for klemmer :sweat:

It’s like trading a Ferrari for a horse drawn carriage. You give a dollar and get back 25 cents.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm far from a Pay lover, but Cogger has improved.

It took me a loooong time to think of anyone though..... :-)
Cogger has improved. But he's still average and a backup at best... He's been handed the reins of the whole team and the only spine player to play almost every game in the one position. He's been given more of a chance than anyone.

Now is the time to turn to Wakeham, who deserves a chance with Foran. But Pay will stick with Cogger no matter what. And probably all of next year too. Because that Foran/Cogger combo has really been lighting up scoreboards!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm far from a Pay lover, but Cogger has improved.

It took me a loooong time to think of anyone though..... :-)
Really? His kicking is still the same shit from game 1. Nothing kicks that 99% of the time go down the opposition's throat that they don't even have to take a step or two to catch comfortably.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Break out the champagne.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ideally I would like to see Pay and his coaching team and his favourites and his supporters fk right off and never return when his contract is up in November 2020

Sooner would be great but our Board are more worried about how the club is perceived than getting the right people in to fix it