Holbrook cannot come soon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the kennel.

Now get off you talk too much sense and before you lose your sanity.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bet the andersons werent even talking to holbrook fmd

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we close this thread no one is coming our pay day will be here next year

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys

First time poster, long time reader. I actually joined the Kennel the day before Des was fired (good luck charm) but I’m too much of a lazy prick to post anything. I almost did with the Latrell rumor (which I’m a huge fan of) but this Pay thing is forcing me into action so hopefully you guys don’t mind me ranting like a fucking lunatic for a bit – as a long suffering Bulldogs fan, I think I’m entitled to

I was having a very good day yesterday and then in the space of 12 hours, Ferrari fucks up in qualifying and now this ridiculous rumour of Holbrook signing with the Titans has ruined my day.

I’m still hopeful that it’s BS and that he has indeed signed with us

When you think about it, why the hell would he sign with the Titans? If you do a comparison between our clubs, we have them beat on every single factor:

· We have a 12-month turnaround compared to their 3-year turnaround

· We WILL be here in 10 years’ time – they MAY not be

· We can afford to pay him the highest salary if he’s successful – they can’t match us

· He’s from Sydney, and presumably his wife is too and he has 4 kids – so moving to Sydney would allow him and his wife to be closer to their families – Gold Coast is a 1-hour flight from Sydney

Last but not least, he’s a fuckign Bulldogs fan. When we were chasing Teddy, one of the reasons he chose the Roosters over us was because he grew up as a Rooster’s fan – that emotional attachment he had to the Roosters is what got him over the line with them. Finally, we have that powerful advantage working in our favour so how about we fuckign use it.

The ONLY advantage GC has over us is the lifestyle factor but being a family man, I can’t see that being a big factor

Staying in St Helens doesn't make much sense either since he only went over there to gain experience and build up his resume. Now that he’s been noticed by every NRL club, there is no point in staying over there as the best he can do is maintain his record

Based on all that, I was VERY confident Holbrook would sign with us….especially based on Assassin and Teddybear both posting last week that their sources had said it was a done deal at the Dogs for 3 years starting from 2020.

Personally, I trust their sources more than this someone posting he had signed with GC but who the fuck knows. Assassin mentioned his source was an ex-board member who had a 90% success rate so I don’t see why we he would make shit up. Also, SweetFA, who started the Holbrook rumour did mentioned that Hill was in the UK to speak to Holbrook which would at least suggest an offer has at least been made on our end

Not to mention there was a rumour last week that a Bulldogs official or powerbroker was bragging to all and sundry that it was a done deal at the Dogs so again I’m hoping that is the case.

This fucking roller-coaster of emotions is driving me nuts…just get it over with it already

Also, a couple of days ago somebody mentioned that Pay was going to be sacked before the Sharks game, during the Bye week, but then the fucking Sharks came out and played like shit (us) and we won. That stupid win probably fucked everything up as you can’t sack a coach after a great win.

Since then what has changed, we beat the Knights, due to Gavet getting binned and then we lost to the Broncos. If the rumour was true, then what has changed the boards mind to convince them to stick with Pay …nothing. Having 2 wins, when the opposition played shit, doesn’t change anything – Pay is still a shit coach.

My issue with Pay is very simple – yes we have a shit roster, but that’s no excuse for having no attacking structures. Why the fuck are our forwards still hogging the ball inside the opposition 20? Because Lichaa keeps giving them the ball. When you have the greatest halfbacks in the game – Johns, Thurston, Alexander, Kimmorely all stating that they can’t see our attacking structure, there's a reason for that…because it doesn’t exist. THAT IS 1000000% PAYS’ FAULT…NOT THE PLAYERS

Not to mention Pay’s obsession with fucking Elliot? I think Mr I was right, maybe he feels guilty for the Mad Monday incident so he keeps picking him to make it up to him

Don’t forget the fact (and it’s a fact because it comes from the players families) that he doesn't talk to certain players. But don’t worry folks, Kerrod Holland can use his power of telepathy to read pay’s mind to know how what he has to improve as a player and get back into the NRL side

To win a premiership, you need good players and a good coach. Yes, you can probably fluke a premiership with an average coach, but to have long term consistent, sustained success, you need both

Look at F1, Bottas and Raikkonen have the same cars as their teammates, but are no match for Vettel and Hamilton. Why, because Raikkonen and Bottas are AVERAGE drivers in good cars. Vettel and Hamilton are world champions because they are great divers in great cars.

Fuck me it’s amateur hour with Pay….and with the Anderson’s refusal to sack him because they lack the balls to do so. Can you imagine Bullfrog or Nick Politis tolerating that shit?

Maybe after today’s loss, he’ll get the boot and Holbrook will be announced – either way, we’ll know this week…FINALLY.

Like a few people have mentioned, this is a very critical decision for me. I used to watch every single game, watch every NRL show, listen to every radio show, etc. My engagement in league was at 100% when we were successful. But since 2017, I seriously couldn’t give a fuck about the NRL anymore. I watch the Dogs game and that’s it. And even so, the emotion I have after a loss is almost non-existent. I get pissed for 5 minutes and that’s it. It used to take me days sometimes to get over a loss. Hell, I used to get so nervous, I couldn’t even watch games live

If we sign Holbrook, I can see the light. I can see us being a top 4 side in 2021 and challenging for the comp every year for the next 10 years. The next few years will be awesome.

If Holbrook signs with GC, I can’t see the light so I’ll be done with the NRL. As someone mentioned in a different post, they were looking for any reason to justify to themselves to abandon the NRL – I am in the same boat. This will be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. Of course, one day we will get back on top, but I’m not going to wait around for that – I may be a fuckign idiot but I'm not a masochist – I don’t have the patience to tolerate another 4-5 years of mediocrity. Life is too short, and too stressful, to continue supporting a team that is deliberately punishing itself. Some people will criticize me, and probably rightly so, for not being a real fan and they are absolutely right – but at the end of the day I just can’t do it. I am doing it protect myself; not as a way to punish the game or the club. I love the club, and I always will, but it’s just too painful and stressful to watch them go through this.

I always laugh at these idiots who spend every 5 minutes on their phone checking their social media (I don’t because I don’t have social media) yet I find myself doing the same thing. I’m on the fucking forum every 5 minutes, or on the league news sites looking for anything positive about the club that I can look forward to because I don’t get any enjoyment form the game anymore.

Missing out on Hollbrook would be a bigger kick in the balls than missing out on Tedesco, Jerome Hughes, Reece Robson and Sam Walker COMBINED (plus letting Cook go). I’ll probably hang around the forum for a couple of weeks to find out why but then I’m done. I’ll probably come back in 5 years but this disgusting nightmare is over

Fuck me, I just realized how long this post is...sorry about that guys. Just couldn't help myself

One final thing I’m curious about…. the silence is deafening from all the posters on here who usually have the inside gossip. All those guys who knew about the Latrell Mitchell deal before the regular members did are eerily quiet…either because they don’t know anything because there is nothing to know (FUCK I HOPE NOT) or they do know what's going on but they’ve been burned following the Latrell deal and have opted to keep quiet so as not to betray their sources or alert the media (FINGERS CROSSED)

If you do know something…good or bad…please let us know.

Cheers
Are you serious,lifestyle of the Gold Coast it's a shithole,high unemployment,the whole area is like living in housing commission,and their roster,infinitely better than ours,and lastly who the fuck is Justin Holbrook,he's never coached in the nrl,the English super league is about 2 levels below our game,he hasn't got the runs on the board,and I'd rather Kev Walters any day.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
the same line every **** said about Des was the problem and Dean was the answer now it s Pay is the problem Holbrook is the answer till the end of next year ... People wont wake up and understand the cattle is more of the problem
Nah Des had to go, most of us didn't give a fuck who took over at that point as it was just a band aid that needed to be ripped off. Did we all think Pay would be this incompetent? Hell no! I can handle losing aslong as we pick the right players and play exciting footy 'bring the madness' as it were lol... I'm here and still waiting for 1 player to improve under Deans coaching and can only see things getting worse

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No Hollbrook........and the downward spiral of this club continues. I really fear how bad things could get under another year of pay dirt

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
And we'd all love Des the coach here now wouldn't we. Even if it was until when he was sacked and 2021. It baffles me how anyone thought Pay, a rookie coach, could do a better job then Des not only with the same roster, but a roster that has lost almost all of its best players without replacements..
Yeah nah des had to go regardless, I'm not blinded by what he's doing with Manly because he sure as hell wouldn't be doing that with us had we allowed him to stay. It would just be the same uninspiring scenario now but with less money. Dean needs to wake the fuck up and realise how fucked his methods are.

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We might actually get the wooden spoon next year.. Hard times ahead.
Fuck sake.!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No... just no.

2021 isn't a magical year where suddenly everyone springs to life and starts winning games and we go on undefeated. 2021 will be more of the same shit unless we use 2020 as a year our new coach tweaks, tinkers, and gets the best out of our roster.

Pay is not getting the best out of this roster, because he is incapable of getting the best out of his players, and incapable of structuring play to our players best attributes. Heck the idiot can't even pick a team list correctly. He's clueless and he needs to go. Not in 2021, not in 2020, BEFORE seasons end.

If we put up with Pay for another year, not only will 2021 also be a write off, but we'll have wasted more money on stupid recruitment requests by a coach who doesn't have a clue.

Pay needs to go this year, so that the off season and pre season in 2020 is spent with the new coach getting to know the players and working with them.
We might actually get the wooden spoon next year.. Hard times ahead.
Fuck sake.!
”might” love your optimism lol

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holbrook will be coaching Titans from 2020 according to NRL.COM

We are that fucked as a club right now we'd struggle to attract a hooker on Mad Monday
Holbrook beats Walters to be new Titans coach
By Adrian Proszenko
July 29, 2019 — 7.40pm
The Gold Coast Titans have appointed Justin Holbrook as their new coach, believing he is the man to oversee the resurrection of the battling club.

While some pundits installed Kevin Walters as the favourite to replace Garth Brennan - despite the Maroons coach publicly denying any interest in the role - Holbrook will take over ahead of the 2020 season.

Holbrook quickly earned a reputation as an NRL head coach in waiting after overseeing a St Helens side that is on top of the Super League ladder, 10 points clear of its nearest rivals. The former Knights, Roosters and Panthers half has narrowly missed out on a number of NRL head coaching roles, including Newcastle and Cronulla, but will return to Australia to take charge of the struggling Titans.

It’s understood Canterbury had given some thought to approaching Holbrook if results didn’t improve under Dean Pay. However, Pay has a year to run on his contract and Hobrook didn’t want to hold out for a job that may not become available.

Brennan was sacked after a review of the club’s football operations, despite the fact he recently signed a one-year extension. However, powerbrokers felt a reset was needed given the club was languishing in last place.

Results haven’t improved while interim coaches Luke Burt and Craig Hodges have been at the helm, with the Gold Coast suffering another defeat on the weekend to Brisbane.

Holbrook’s job interview was conducted via a conference call given he wasn’t able to front the Titan’s panel face-to-face due to his St Helens commitments. He impressed club hierarchy with his track record, football knowledge and vision for the Gold Coast going forward.

St Helens have been resigned to losing Holbrook, off contract at the end of the year, after he stalled on accepting a new deal. It’s understood Saints officials are on their way to Australia to sound out potential replacements.

Anthony Griffin, Ben and Shane Walker, Jason Demetriou and Roosters assistants were some of the names on the Titans short list. Even though he distanced himself from the role from the outset, Walters was constantly being thrown up as leading candidate. However, Walters opted to focus on his role as Queensland coach and his commentary duties with Fox Sports, despite his long-time ambition of becoming a head coach at club level.

The Titans are expected to make an official announcement as soon as Tuesday to trumpet the signing. Holbrook will finish off his Super League commitments before officially starting the new job, although he will be consulted about retention and recruitment matters until then.

Hobrook’s appointment continues a trend of NRL coaches being promoted after finishing off their apprenticeships in England. Roosters coach Trent Robinson, Tigers counterpart Michael Maguire and Newcastle’s Nathan Brown have all spent time coaching at Super League level.

Titans chairman Dennis Watt had stated his preference was to find a coach with previous NRL head coaching experience, but few candidates fitted the bill. There was also a feeling that it was only a matter of time before an NRL club picked up Holbrook and the Titans decided to go for an up-and-comer in a bid to turn around their fortunes.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And we'd all love Des the coach here now wouldn't we. Even if it was until when he was sacked and 2021. It baffles me how anyone thought Pay, a rookie coach, could do a better job then Des not only with the same roster, but a roster that has lost almost all of its best players without replacements..
No not at all. Can you really compare the Manly side to what we had with Des or have now? No way. Therefore half of our problems lie with the players themselves in what talent they have and if they have the ability to improve. Des, as much as he created the problem with the roster he chose decided to play a boring grinding game knowing we didn't have the talent of players that he has at Manly to encourage attacking football knowing the natural ability of his Manly team is no comparison to the roster he left us. If he was our current coach tbh I doubt we'd be any better off.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Everybody keeps going on about how the players aren't up to first grade standard but that's just an excuse. I'm not saying we are top 8 material but we definitely shouldn't be on the bottom of the ladder. Yes there is alot of upside to all those players you mentioned and I'm sure a better coach would have improved those players to the point that we aren't on the bottom of the ladder. Elliot for example is all heart and determination but lacks the skill set to be overly effective but if he was in the Melbourne system coached by Bellamy he would be properly coached and be a much improved player and would be playing his part in the team, no doubt, like all those no name forwards do that Bellamy gets hold of. Our main problem is the coach and lack of coaching and developing these players. Of course we need an injection of better quality players to become a force again but these players could of and should have improved and developed alot more than they have over the past 2 years and we should be just outside the top 8, not on the bottom
I'm not deflecting the problem from Pay but when is it a players responsibility for where we are sitting? They can't just expect the coach to improve them, it's a joint responsibility. They are professional athletes having more time than any past players to improve their game and with some of our players I have not seen them improve in three years, but go backwards. That is their fault as much as Pay's.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ask anyone in the world who's a better coach, Hasler or Pay. I don't think we'd be much better, but we'd be better, I'm pretty certain of that. If you let Des create this experiment at least make him go through it with us. You don't fix a bad decision or mistakes by making another. It doesn't matter now, it's just about the present and future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.