Official Refs from Warriors vs Parra game demoted for one game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/29/referees-from-warriors-loss-to-eels-dropped-over-errors/
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter - Mon 29 Jul 2019, 06:55 PM

NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton will relegate his brother Chris and three on-field match officials over numerous errors as head of football Graham Annesley defended the Match Review Committee's handling of dangerous lifting tackles.

All four on-field officials from Saturday's contentious Eels v Warriors clash will be demoted in round 20, with lead referee Sutton, assistant Chris Buttler and touch judges Clayton Sharpe and Adam Cassidy all in the firing line as the NRL conceded multiple mistakes were made.

Warriors CEO Cameron George sought a 'please explain' from Annesley, who conceded the club had "serious cause for complaint about these incidents" in what could prove a season-defining two-point loss.

Two stripping calls that went against the Warriors, one of which was followed by a Parramatta try, a missed knock-on in the lead-up to another Eels four-pointer and another missed knock-on by the Warriors all happened at crucial points in the game.

"Each of these incidents changes the course of the game. What would have happened if these decisions were ruled correctly, we'll never know the true outcome," Annesley said. "A lot of those incidents were on the ball incidents that the referees should have picked up. Some of the others, the touch judges were there to assist and all four officials have been involved in those errors."

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney called for the contentious stripping rule – which was altered over the 2018 pre-season to allow one-one-one strips if fellow defenders dropped off the tackle – to be "pissed off" due to inconsistent interpretations.

Annesley said the NRL has no plans to amend the rule before season's end, but said any law was "open to review at the end of the year if it's causing a problem".

But he refused to criticise the on-the-spot call to deny Roger Tuivasa-Sheck what would have been a match-winning try-assist, with his late flick pass for Gerard Beale to score deemed forward.

"I can't tell you if this is a forward pass or not," Annesley said.

"Fans of the Warriors will believe it's OK. I genuinely can't tell.

"Therein lies the problem in trying to use the video referee if we were going to, to rule on forward passes… Because I think that decision will divide opinion right down the middle."

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay ... so the interesting thing here is.... how does that impact the betting markets.

And the demotion for one week is like a slap in the face with a lettuce leaf.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's time for action, people need to stop attending games until this mess is sorted out. Either that or superleague 2.0 should be on the cards, that seems like the only viable option

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its a rort... plain and simple... I can imagine how warrior fans are feeling...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole nrl is a fucking joke !!

The rich get richer. The already good clubs get better, the bad clubs stay the same or worse (maybe titans an exception) hahaa, it’s corrupt as fuck and more suffering ahead..!!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a rort... plain and simple... I can imagine how warrior fans are feeling...
I can imagine it too.
Because we are always on the shit end of the decisions too..

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The referees shouldn't be accountable, the NRL should. Not they're fault the rules have become impossible to properly officiate.

My biggest gripe is with the Bunker.