Opal Tower Crumbling

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
affordable housing or public housing of some type
Public housing for junky peadophile sex offenders I bet.

Thats how stupid Aussie politicians are, they think criminals are good blokes?
I suppose it makes sense for politicians to worship criminals?
Since a majority of politicians themselves are criminals!

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Public housing for junky peadophile sex offenders I bet.

Thats how stupid Aussie politicians are, they think criminals are good blokes?
I suppose it makes sense for politicians to worship criminals?
Since a majority of politicians themselves are criminals!
Hard to argue with that

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
All new estates / apartments have NRAS / AHS housing allocated to the government pool. Nothing new there.

Banned
Reaction score
I strongly suspect that a LOT of structures in the last decade would struggle to meet a genuine certification certificate inspection.
Soo much dodgy shit, soo little genuine repercussions for these dodgy pricks.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I strongly suspect that a LOT of structures in the last decade would struggle to meet a genuine certification certificate inspection.
Soo much dodgy shit, soo little genuine repercussions for these dodgy pricks.
In the last decade yes - perhaps even before that. I wouldn't live in any complex that was made after the year 2000 personally. A lot of structures that went up around the suburb I used to live in back in the 90s are still around today looking as strong as ever... but all these new ones that are mainly rendered and have cladding all around... LOL. Thanks but no thanks!

Banned
Reaction score
In the last decade yes - perhaps even before that. I wouldn't live in any complex that was made after the year 2000 personally. A lot of structures that went up around the suburb I used to live in back in the 90s are still around today looking as strong as ever... but all these new ones that are mainly rendered and have cladding all around... LOL. Thanks but no thanks!
Fire traps?

Wahesh

Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...p6KAISHgVB9p8LCxDul_Vql8kg#Echobox=1581033474

The nightmare for residents of Sydney's Mascot Towers isn’t over yet, with fresh concerns over the cracking of a brick facade in one of the apartment towers, which has forced businesses in the complex to close for possibly up to six weeks.

Fire and Rescue were called to the apartment block just after 10pm on Thursday after reports of the cracking. Crews taped off the area and temporary fencing is expected to be erected on Friday.
Engineers working on tower one of the apartment complex reported concerns over cracking brickwork on the Bourke Street facade, which was taking unintended loads caused by the original damage.

About 7.45pm on Thursday, building management sent an email to three commercial and retail shops informing them they would be vacated as a precautionary measure. The affected businesses have been told they could be shut for four to six weeks.

Residents of the 132 apartments were evacuated in June over cracking in the primary support structure and facade masonry, causing fears the building had become unstable.

"No bricks have fallen, there have been no incidents and the risk of falling bricks is deemed small by our professional engineers, but we have a duty of care to the public and we have acted to ensure public safety," Mascot Towers owners' corporation spokesman Patrick McGuire said.

"The structural integrity of the building is not affected – the concern is purely about possible dislodgement of bricks."

A remediation plan is being developed to address the issue, which is expected to be finalised within a week.

"Aside from public safety, which is our main priority, we will try and do everything possible to reopen the commercial and retail premises and we feel for the owners and their staff, but we have no choice in establishing the public safety exclusion zone," Mr McGuire said.

"This work will not detract from or delay the work being undertaken on site to restore the structural integrity of Mascot Towers and to get people back into their homes."

A spokesperson for the Office of the NSW Building Commissioner said it had been aware of the possible risks associated with the cracks in the brick facade of the apartment complex.

"Early advice is that there is a low probability of an incident occurring. However for public safety temporary exclusion zones have been established. The commissioner’s inquires are ongoing."

The Small Business Commission will reach out to affected businesses on Friday.

Last year, residents were told it was unlikely they would return to

Last year, Better Regulation Minister Kevin Anderson told the NSW Parliament rental assistance for owners had been extended until next month.

Since then the minister has committed to continuing the emergency assistance accommodation package for the foreseeable future.

Mascot Towers residents have committed to paying the money back when they are able to.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Shit's getting real at Mascot.

Last edited:

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NSW Government to the rescue.

$3,000,000 pledged to cover the repair bill of the building and also to cover living expenses and rent for the families affected. They will be living in alternate accommodation for a month at least.
only cause they own 50 units in that building

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if the tenants in and around Mascot Towers are in favour of government-led regulation of the building industry...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Didn't apply when my 6 month old laptop stopped working. Got full value replacement.
Sometimes they do that when they CBF fixing something and just want the ticket closed. Same thing happened to my laptop. They replaced the keyboard, monitor and a few other components to it. HP have a policy where if they have to repair the same thing 5 times, they'll replace it with a newer model altogether. They did that with me on the 2nd repair - probably because they replaced the monitor, then as soon as the technician left, it carked it again.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that this wouldn't apply when enough people are involved to create a very public class action suit.
Will depend on the success of the suit. I've seen these types of class actions fail.