Lewis keen to lock in long-term future as Dogs halfback

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There has not been a half in the NRL for twenty years with as little natural talent as this kid.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There are. Lewis just needs the right halves partner and he'll have great games (somebody with a good running game and a good manager).
If that is the case then maybe he should think about going.
His football is not improving under Pay and he might fulfil his potential somewhere else.

I think there will be a more than one player contacted for 2020 (like Lewis) that will seek a release to play at another NRL club.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our halves are getting ridiculously slow play the balls on attacking plays giving the opposition ample time to set a line and be pushing up on them.
They’re also then passing slow passes to players like Tolman, Elliott, Napa, Montoya, Holland etc. who offer very little attacking play anyway.
Hard to know what the biggest problem is with the team. For me it’s still coach at number one, followed by plenty of other things

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Prefer Wakeham... sorry prince !!!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But the days of the ball playing locks are long gone.
Trbojevic, Murray, Radley, Finucane.
4 multifaceted Locks with ball playing ability in 4 of the top 5 teams.

Ball playing locks are pretty resurgent

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's something about his attitude...the way he laired up taking that penalty bouncing the ball taking his time. We had something like 10min to go, down by 8 and he's wasting time showing off.

Sure it probably wouldn't have made any difference, but FFS he's playing a professional sport he could at least act like it.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If that is the case then maybe he should think about going.
His football is not improving under Pay and he might fulfil his potential somewhere else.

I think there will be a more than one player contacted for 2020 (like Lewis) that will seek a release to play at another NRL club.
No one's football is improving under Dean Pay. Seriously though, I cannot think of anyone that has lifted their game in 2019 from 2018 (maybe DWZ??)

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No one's football is improving under Dean Pay. Seriously though, I cannot think of anyone that has lifted their game in 2019 from 2018 (maybe DWZ??)
Yes agree AND the forwards are the bigest problem not the backs.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
kicking game lacks any variety, not a running threat, we had enough ball in attacking 20 to show something/anything and came up with very little. It should be written in stone that under no circumstance should tolman be anywhere near the ball when on the attack and further more anyone who passes the ball to him will be dropped.end of story.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not doing what the "Coach" instructs will get you dropped fairly quick

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropping a kick off happens from time to time it was some of his options in attack that I was disappointed in. He was obsessed with inside balls to Tolman yesterday.

He just lacks any sort of vision in his play.
Maybe. But that can change with the roster, kinda cuts both ways. Like if we had a great hole runner, ie fucking rfm, I wouldn’t mind. But yeh, he should have the iq to realise tolman is just a workhorse and can’t hole run.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes agree AND the forwards are the bigest problem not the backs.
Very few of these forwards are real first grade players. They will not improve.
With an imminent clean out and a good recruitment season, things will get better.

#PAYIN

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I enjoyed watching him when he came into first grade last year. I really thought he was the answer to our prayers, young well spoken, level headed and very marketable, full of energy on the field.

But this year has been very disappointing, I admire his courage in defence especially against Souths when he dusted up Sam a few times.
I can’t believe got dropped for his defence to be honest I thought that was his best attribute. However his performance this year has been below standard and I noticed him giving the ref a cheeky grin or winking after a call on occasion, He never runs and takes on the line, bad passing options. I think twice he threw inside balls to our rampaging Tolmanalollo which killed any chance of momentum during attack.

Anyway I hope he pulls his finger out and improves his game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How about our club work on getting a new coach. A new coach will nuture the natural talents of players and get the best of out them. Dean Pay is nothing more than an Under 12s coach. "Okay kids go out there and have fun... everyone gets an orange at the end of the game and a Happy Meal".

Modern day NRL coaches need to be able to nurture, spot, and encourage the natural ability of players. Pay can't.

Elliott and CHN miss more tackles a season than Lewis has his entire NRL career.

Lewis
Career: 429 made 58 tackles missed
2019: 219 made 21 missed

Holland
2019: 118 made 24 missed

Meaney
2019: 72 made 18 missed

Elliott
2019: 419 made 49 missed

CHN
2019: 454 made 74 missed

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone should probably reserve their opinions of the kid a couple of games in after a bit of a lay off. Should also wait to see how the combo of Wakeham and Lewis goes before judgement.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Everyone should probably reserve their opinions of the kid a couple of games in after a bit of a lay off. Should also wait to see how the combo of Wakeham and Lewis goes before judgement.
I agree however no doubt he will be dropped again this week. But wait we will judge him against the rest of the pets.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not once did he take the line on v the Rooters just passed it to people in a worse position than himself. Great defender but that's just not enough to play 1st grade it's like he is scared to have a big hit put on himself.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Catch the ball off the kickoffs would be a good start champ

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trbojevic, Murray, Radley, Finucane.
4 multifaceted Locks with ball playing ability in 4 of the top 5 teams.

Ball playing locks are pretty resurgent
I have been saying this since end of last year.
I met Lewis in person and was shocked with his size. Looks bigger in person. Has the upper body strength to cut it as a lock but needs lower body strength. Also ball playing locks is the future as the game is faster and they can be the player who does those one or two things that can make a half break for DWZ to finish off just like Eastwood and Barba did

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem with Lewis at lock is that he doesn't ever run the ball as a half when he's running at edge second rowers and outside backs.

What makes you think he'll want to mix it up with the big boys in the middle of the field and get destroyed by props or locks like Trbojevic and Finucane?