Opinion Suli

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not even kidding when I watch manly it reminds me of the old days and the way we used to play. Especially after tonight’s game when they slotted the field goal, we used to always win those tight games especially the golden point ones !!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not even kidding when I watch manly it reminds me of the old days and the way we used to play. Especially after tonight’s game when they slotted the field goal, we used to always win those tight games especially the golden point ones !!
They're a replica of our 2014 side. I hope they make the final and get hammered too (not really, I might actually "support" them in the finals, everyone loves an underDOG story right?).

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They're a replica of our 2014 side. I hope they make the final and get hammered too (not really, I might actually "support" them in the finals, everyone loves an underDOG story right?).
Don’t mind manly atm. Them or Canberra.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From memory Suli also posted pics of himself smoking pot online didn't he?

It took him a couple of years to get his career back on track after leaving the club anyway. I'm not going to shed any tears over him being moved on. Signing him was a gamble that didn't work out. The amount of potential he had upon hitting the NRL still hasn't come to fruition. Far too inconsistent to count him as a real loss.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s see;-
For starters,
He’s got a gun fullback Trbojevic
A more than decent Halfback DCE
One of the best young hookers Fainu
3 powerful middle forwards Tapau, AFB & J Trbojevic.
Big ball playing edge forwards in Sironen,/Thompson
We have none of the above
Let’s see
He had them playing the same way with Elliott as fullback, Elliott just isn’t as dynamic as Tom Turbo.
He was at the club for long enough to bring along a decent half. His obsession with Foran meant IMO we missed out on other decent halfbacks. Lots of time was also wasted pretending Mbye was a half.
He had the best young hooker in the game and let him go.
Our 2014 pack was better than what Manny has now. He didn’t do a good enough job of turning that over with new players and keeping it a strength.
Sironen and Thompson are nothing special

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How predictable this thread descended into a Pay bashing.

Let’s rip into the facts;

1. This fat slob turned up to pre season weighing about 300kgs
2. He consistently turned up late/didn’t turn up at all to training sessions. Made new excuses each time
3. He was almost sacked a week earlier, but begged for another chance. He was granted it.
4. Within 3 days of being given another chance, he yet again turned up late to training. There would be no more chances, and he was formally sacked. Any other club/coach would’ve taken the same action.
5. We aren’t paying him to play at another club and never have
Yep and we even put him up in a place in Belmore so he could walk down to training in 5 mins and he still didn't turn up or turned up late.
I think at Manly they've got guys like Taupau, Taufua, Fonua Blake, etc who will take him under their wings

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I can't blame anyone for sacking him. The clown had a million chances and pulled the same shit at the Tigers. He genuinely had no interest in doing what it takes to be a professional footballer.

Good on him for turning it around at Manly but I don't blame the club for axing someone who took the piss and didn't give a shit.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
As much as I don’t like Des, his people skills with his players is what a coach needs. This is why Suli has reached the next level.
Who at the Dogs has reached a new gear under Pay? Elliot? That gear went back tenfold

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another thing is Des’s coaching style is great when it’s with a fresh group but after 5 years I think he starts to wear thin.
Excatly

2hen he first came we finished first and made the grand final

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

2. He consistently turned up late/didn’t turn up at all to training sessions. Made new excuses each time
3. He was almost sacked a week earlier, but begged for another chance. He was granted it.
4. Within 3 days of being given another chance, he yet again turned up late to training. There would be no more chances, and he was formally sacked. Any other club/coach would’ve taken the same action.
Spot on! He’s still doing it at Manly too he was dropped a few weeks ago for putting on 10kgs. It’s only a matter of time before he’s punted from there as well.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching the storm versus manly game this guy is a beast what a shame we couldn’t make it work also still burns me to watch tapau on the their team
Thems the breaks
Funny how it was Des that sacked him
Now at manly Des has all the time in the world for him

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What did the kid do again, turned up late to training or something and Pay wanted to make an example of him. It's a shame he's not equally as tough on his pets.
I thought he was sacked by Des

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Because we didn't have DCE, tommy turbo and manase fainu
I also think there was no incentive for him. Rain hail or shine the money was the same for him. So it was a job more then a passion for him.

And I guess driving for 2.5-3hrs every day in traffic every day wouldn’t have been fun for him :p

Dude is a manly man. And even in saying that he does decimate teams salary caps. His teams always are left in a mess with salary caps wise.

Good coach. But we gave him too much power to run the footballing operations, and player movement and we didn’t have a strong enough ceo to stand up to him of to negotiate better with player managers. And end result is every single decent player was released mid contract or let go at the end of the contract because we were so far over the cap.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Suli is prime example of Des VS Pay..

FMD i get the Des hate but he knows how to get players punching above their weight and bring a team together..

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des is good coach, just not a great judge of a footballer unfortunately.
Not a handy accountant either...
God I hope manly let him have control of the salary cap lol

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Number 1 and 2 relate to his time at Wests tigers. 3 onwards are accurate.

We also offered him a contract which was way too generous based on his past history, it's probably lucky he ended up moving on