News Rugby league legend Mark Coyne stood down as ARL Commissioner

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
ARL Commissioner and rugby league legend Mark Coyne has been stood down by the commission chair Peter Beattie following an incident in Singapore.

Coyne was last night finally set to return to Australia from Singapore after having his passport withheld for nearly seven weeks following allegations he used “vile and disgusting” language towards public officials.

The Herald understands Coyne was involved in an argument outside a hotel on June 2.

Coyne informed his fellow commissioners earlier this week of the incident, possibly following an inquiry from the Herald. Coyne did not respond to that inquiry.

ARLC and NRL code-of-conduct rules make it obligatory for players, coaches and officers to self-report charges, even the prospect of being charged by police, whether overseas or in Australia.

The incident happened while the former St George Illawarra captain, Queensland hero and Australian representative was in Singapore with friends three days before the first State of Origin match. The Heraldunderstands he was briefly held in a cell overnight and forced to surrender his passport.

The matter could become a major embarrassment for the ARLC, particularly if it is later revealed Coyne, or any of his fellow ARL Commissioners, withheld the news of the incident.

Coyne was allegedly involved in an argument outside Singapore’s Grand Hyatt hotel on the night of June 2. It is understood a hotel doorman contacted police.

Local lawyers say the hard line taken by authorities arose from Coyne’s alleged disrespectful language to police and his initial refusal to withdraw his comments when invited to do so.

Coyne intended playing golf with friends in Indonesia before flying to Brisbane for Origin I but briefly stayed at the home of former Australian racing steward Terry Bailey, whom he knew via their Queensland connection. Bailey is now chief steward at the Singapore Racing Club and, when it was clear Coyne would remain in Singapore, his judicial position risked being compromised and Coyne moved to a hotel.

The NRL became aware of the situation via its integrity unit, which was told by law enforcement officers.

The Herald understands that throughout the ordeal, Coyne has been extremely concerned about the embarrassment to the code following a summer of shame, during which NRL players were charged with sexual and domestic assault.

Coyne is the most recent addition to the ARLC board, joining in February, and while he initially expressed opposition to the ARLC’s automatic stand-down of any player charged with an offence carrying a penalty of 11 years or more, he later agreed, making the resolution unanimous.

Coyne’s wife, Annie, flew to meet him four days following the incident and was with him again on Tuesday, along with the chairman of the company that employs him.

Coyne missed all three Origin matches while in Singapore. NSW’s final try in the deciding Origin match drew comparisons with his own thrilling last-second, match-winning try in 1994.

Coyne was contacted at the time for comment but reports merely mentioned he was overseas, where he described TV coverage of the game as scratchy. Coyne has been worried about the story leaking, with many of his former teammates believing he could not fly back to Australia, owing to a middle-ear infection.

Coyne booked a flight home to Australia last week, expecting to be leaving Singapore with the matter finalised on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...nd-mark-coyne-stood-down-20190717-p5286m.html

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Could easily have compressed this into one sentence. What a mess of an article.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greenturd and Beattie will be working overtime putting this fire out! Wonder if the clubs can fine the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bit different when it’s a actual commission who didn’t tell the NRL for 7 weeks that he was detained in a foreign country.
Did not read that part lol. Was he legit detained for 7 weeks for it?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should have apologised when they asked.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When reading the title I immediately thought he would have shagged some foreign bird and been caught out lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think it says more about the ARLC. Who doesn't notice someone who hasn't come into work for 7 weeks :D

Beattie: Has anyone seem Mark Carroll I'm sure he worked here for us..

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When reading the title I immediately thought he would have shagged some foreign bird and been caught out lol
At least that would have been worth it!
7 weeks for swearing at a cop.... fark. 75% of Australia would be locked up if that was the case.

I think it says more about the ARLC. Who doesn't notice someone who hasn't come into work for 7 weeks :D

Beattie: Has anyone seem Mark Carroll I'm sure he worked here for us..
ROFL, I was thinking the same thing.
How can I get his job?

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nearly everything is a big crime in Singapore hence the low crime rate can't mess with the police system in that county or your gonna pay the price

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenturd comes out on ten sporttoday saying "we should not rush into this maybe some time to think about this would be good " ummm pity he didnt have the same view when he crucified the dogs for mad monday. What a prick

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Apparently told the cop he was going to sue his arse off. Good luck sunshine.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Taxis are dirt cheap in Singapore, was that the start of it an argument over the fare.
Then Coyne got stuck into the police were called.
He got fined $4,100 and had to pay for an extra 6 weeks accommodation about argument over the taxi fare??

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Breaking News announced by Vonny on NRL Super Saturday.

Mark "has resigned" from his position... after a meeting today with Peter Beattie.