Opinion Josh Cleeland...

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Did anyone ever watch this bloke play? I thought he had heaps of potential but it seems that he was given a raw deal by the Bulldogs in 2017/2018 that almost ruined him physically and mentally.

Some of the current stock are being treated in a very similar fashion and it has real life consequences.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/11/josh-cleeland-loving-footy-again-after-dog-day-afternoons/

- - - - - -

Queensland Residents five-eighth Josh Cleeland is well versed at bouncing back from setbacks so it is no surprise he is "loving footy" again after emerging from the disappointment of not making an NRL debut in two seasons at Canterbury.

The 27-year-old, who will line up against NSW Residents at Dolphin Stadium on Sunday, was 18 and an Ipswich Jets Colt when a serious knee injury kept him out of the game for three years when he was on the verge of a Broncos deal.

Depressed, his weight blew out to 115kg and thought his career was over, but he shed the kilos and fought back to win an Intrust Super Cup and NSW State Championship title with the Jets in 2015.

After a season at Cronulla, a Canterbury deal followed and he was twice the NSW Cup five-eighth of the year for the Bulldogs before leading the side to an NRL State Championship title last year where he was player of the match.

But an NRL call-up never eventuated and Cleeland, now back at the Jets, still doesn’t know why.

"I was a bit down. I thought I deserved the opportunity to play first grade but it didn’t come through," he said.

"The first year I was at Canterbury they just said I was playing good and to keep going and to bide my time. The second year I don’t know what happened with the communication between me and my manager and the coaching staff but somehow I dropped out of the top 30.

“I’m still not sure what went wrong but I am just looking at the positives now. I am back at the Jets and it is just so much fun and stress-free.

"At the Jets there is no fear. It is whatever you see, have a go at it. That’s definitely brought the love of footy back for me."

Jets co-coach Shane Walker said Cleeland was good enough for the next level and likened his style to one of Canterbury's best-ever playmakers.

"If you had an NRL job you’d pack him up and take him away with you," Walker told NRL.com.

“He is not dissimilar to a Terry Lamb. He’s that nuggety build, he has deceptive speed, he’s a strong defender and he’s always thinking. He does back up well too.

"Joshy has rediscovered his love of the game this year, and rediscovered his old form but it took him a couple of weeks.

"Our halves are on the same side of the field linking up with one another and attacking and playing what they see, but the first couple of weeks Joshy was planted on the right side of the field and wouldn’t leave. We had to reintroduce him to our other half and release the shackles because he was had a heavily structured mindset when he first came back."

Cleeland, now 92kg, said he hadn't given up hope of getting an NRL opportunity. He is proud of the way he has handled adversity.

"I was close to the NRL when I was 18 and my manager was talking to the Broncos but then I did my ACL and it all fell through," he said.

"Then I became a big bopper. I got to 115 kilos and got depressed. I thought footy was over but then I got back into it with the Jets. It is a pretty good little story."

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever watch this bloke play? I thought he had heaps of potential but it seems that he was given a raw deal by the Bulldogs in 2017/2018 that almost ruined him physically and mentally.
Ruined him physically and mentally is a huge stretch he just wasn’t consistent enough to play NRL. He would have way too many games where you didn’t even know he was on the field. Good luck to him in Queensland Cup it’s probably his level to be honest.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Ruined him physically and mentally is a huge stretch he just wasn’t consistent enough to play NRL. He would have way too many games where you didn’t even know he was on the field. Good luck to him in Queensland Cup it’s probably his level to be honest.
As far as not figuring in the top 30, it might seem that you are right. But Canterbury officials should have given him more of an indication as to whether he'd ever play first grade. He was also pretty decorated and successful in reggies.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hate this stupid game plan where you have the halves separated on either side of the field wayyy too predictable.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The brutally honest truth: Cleeland is the Michael Lichaa of halves (without NRL experience). He's okay, but just can't lift his game to the level required of an NRL player.

Oh and he's hardly setting the world on fire for the Jets either.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
The brutally honest truth: Cleeland is the Michael Lichaa of halves (without NRL experience). He's okay, but just can't lift his game to the level required of an NRL player.

Oh and he's hardly setting the world on fire for the Jets either.
I'm not sure how you can say that when he hasn't been tested in the NRL.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can say that when he hasn't been tested in the NRL.
Because he wasn't good enough / reliable / consistent enough to be an NRL half.

Jets are sitting 9th on the ladder at the moment, their attack average, their defence poor. I realise that's not squarely on him, but regardless it's worth noting.

He's 28 now. The NRL dream is gone. Park Footballer at best.

Several clubs have had him on their books and he's failed to crack first grade at every single one.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Because he wasn't good enough / reliable / consistent enough to be an NRL half.

Jets are sitting 9th on the ladder at the moment, their attack average, their defence poor. I realise that's not squarely on him, but regardless it's worth noting.

He's 28 now. The NRL dream is gone. Park Footballer at best.

Several clubs have had him on their books and he's failed to crack first grade at every single one.

"...just can't lift his game to the level required of an NRL player."

As mentioned in a previous thread,

"
2015 - QLD Cup Premiership winning Halfback with Ipswich Jets.
2016 - Named in NSW Cup Team of the Year while playing for Newtown Jets.
2017 - Named in NSW Cup Team of the Year while playing for the Bulldogs
2018 - NSW Cup Premiership winning Halfback with the Bulldogs."

He might be 28 now but he's had some significant potential since 2013. 2016-2018 is clearly what shot the guy to pieces.

Not disagreeing with your evaluation of him at this point in time but he was never given the shot he deserved.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He didnt show any more than the many halves we have tried in the last few years. You dont give players a shot just to be fair. Its not little league where everyone gets a run, no matter how bad they are.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He didnt show any more than the many halves we have tried in the last few years. You dont give players a shot just to be fair. Its not little league where everyone gets a run, no matter how bad they are.
I can understand his frustration to be fair his best shot of NRL was in the backend of 2017 when he was on fire in NSW Cup and Des went with Chase Stanley in the halves instead of him. In saying that I agree with you that he wouldn’t have done anything more then any other halves we have used.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunately he never got a real shot to show what he had in FG. I don't think he was that shit when you consider:
But Ben Roberts got 93 FG games for 10 tries and Trent Hodkinson got 92 FG games for 12 tries. Not the try ratio I expect from a FG half.
Lets hope Wakeham gets more of a shot than Cleeland got.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Matt Frawley was better.

Let that sink in for a moment.
Yep Cleeland looked good for 20 mins a game and then either went missing or overplayed.
Slightly off topic but much like Burr's first hit up for Warriors today.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Shane Walkers just shown why he shouldn’t be coaching in the NRL, laughable making any sort of comparison between Terry Lamb and Josh Cleeland

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m convinced that he had more to offer than the likes of Frawley.

Unfortunately his more instinctive and flairish approach didn’t suit Desball. Des wanted robotic halves. Cleeland subsequently fell behind in the queue.