News Rd 18 Post-Game Press Conference

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
About time he said something though about the penalties. Not only am I expecting us to lose every week but I also expect us to get belted in the penalty count, and that’s just fucked.

It’s not so much the penalties we concede, it’s the penalties we don’t get that we should. It puts us on that back foot and we are shit enough as it is without oppositions getting a leg up.

For example the broncos hooker was at least 3 metres offside on the last forcing Cogger to rush a kick that they take in goal. Instead of us getting a penalty they get a 7 tackle set and are attacking our line... and then get a penalty themselves. That’s a huge momentum swing. And it’s not like it was a 50/50 call, it’s was one of the most obvious offsides you will ever see. The fox commentators couldn’t believe it wasn’t pulled up.
People can carry on and say penalties make no difference but they absolutely do.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Young side.??...I would reckon the Broncos side is younger...where's our TK statistician twin turbo over to you...
I was thinking that last night but I think old flogs like Boyd, Glenn and McCollough would give them the edge in age and experience. It would still be close though!

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it’s the offsides that get me and the opposition seem to always get a skinny 10

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay seemed a lot more relaxed then normal considering his team had just been dominated....

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah it’s the offsides that get me and the opposition seem to always get a skinny 10
agree was evident last night they talk about player welfare on the kicker but mcullogh was.cleary offside when he put a shot on cogger resulting in a 7 tackle set for the donkeys

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The refs had fuck all to do with that loss
I disagree, yes broncos played better but a penalty try and 3 penalty goals that’s 10 points gifted, plus the bullshit calls that had us on the back foot.
With all the ball and momentum the broncos should have put on more than 10-6 first half.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"7-3 penalty count, how is that fair, we've only won three penalty counts, it's ridiculous and a big factor"

"We're a young side, they just need to learn how to absorb pressure and apply it on the opposition"

"did you think it was a penalty try and he was definitely gonna score? there are a lot of factors in there, the game was gone and they just give a try, it's ridiculous"

"it's all going one way against us, the refs make it hard on themselves"

Same old shite with a lot of umms and ahhs in between
We just gotta be bedda at what we're doin.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is broncs are a young talented side and we are a young talentless side. Meany, Fualolo, cogger, montoya, napa, elliott, lichaa, jmk .... all reserve graders who would only come into an nrl side if it were ravaged by injury. Its just a shit show at the moment and it will remain that way until 2021.....and then (FINGERS CROSSED) the fuckers actually have to buy decent players and not more duds like napa.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The refs were good tonight (the best refereed game this year IMO) and the Oates try was 100% a penalty try. I would of preferred Pay kept those 2 things out of the press conference. I know he's protecting the players, but they aren't good enough so just say nothing on the subject if you have to lie.
I disagree with that ruling.

Tell me what happens when a team kicks the ball on the last tackle from their own 40 metre line. A defender comes through and holds on to the kicker and some times drops him to the ground, 2-3 seconds after he's kicked.

Last night DWZ touched Oates, probably within a few tenths of a second of him kicking the ball. IMO, they should have ruled that Oates was a kicker and therefore DWZ was entitled to make an attempt to tackle him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
About time he said something though about the penalties. Not only am I expecting us to lose every week but I also expect us to get belted in the penalty count, and that’s just fucked.

It’s not so much the penalties we concede, it’s the penalties we don’t get that we should. It puts us on that back foot and we are shit enough as it is without oppositions getting a leg up.

For example the broncos hooker was at least 3 metres offside on the last forcing Cogger to rush a kick that they take in goal. Instead of us getting a penalty they get a 7 tackle set and are attacking our line... and then get a penalty themselves. That’s a huge momentum swing. And it’s not like it was a 50/50 call, it’s was one of the most obvious offsides you will ever see. The fox commentators couldn’t believe it wasn’t pulled up.
People can carry on and say penalties make no difference but they absolutely do.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's the penalties not given, where they're given, 10 metres. We are a dumb side no doubt but some of the reffing is so nit picking its like they actively want to deliberately break us.

You only have to watch old games. I find myself gob smacked that we aren't penalised like in todays version of the game. You sit there watching, unconsciously with the mind set of the past few years, and the Voldemorts aren't penalising us anywhere near as lopsided. Nowdays we get pinged for every indiscretion and don't receive square ups (when deserved).

It's stark in it's difference between yesteryear and now.

Gotta be something in that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was thinking that last night but I think old flogs like Boyd, Glenn and McCollough would give them the edge in age and experience. It would still be close though!
Haas, Fifita are both 19.

At the Dogs they'd be waiting another 5 years to play fg.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. It's the penalties not given, where they're given, 10 metres. We are a dumb side no doubt but some of the reffing is so nit picking its like they actively want to deliberately break us.

You only have to watch old games. I find myself gob smacked that we aren't penalised like in todays version of the game. You sit there watching, unconsciously with the mind set of the past few years, and the Voldemorts aren't penalising us anywhere near as lopsided. Nowdays we get pinged for every indiscretion and don't receive square ups (when deserved).

It's stark in it's difference between yesteryear and now.

Gotta be something in that.
They were playing Brisbane, in Brisbane. Passion and hatred for NSW was running high after SOO. Did we expect the refereeing to favour us?

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I will say only this. Todays game the refs decide who wins who loses. Dont kid yourself when a ref can decide who has the ball its game over. You have to be a bloody good team to beat the refs. Possession is it. Nrl rules mean nothing because there only used when the ref decides to use them

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They were playing Brisbane, in Brisbane. Passion and hatred for NSW was running high after SOO. Did we expect the refereeing to favour us?
No we didn't. Favour us? Are you kidding..not in this lifetime :grinning: Your statement proves how the refs have agendas and are "influenced"...(didn't mention corrupt).

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
have to like a coach that sticks up for his players and looks to blame refs or anyone else for a shit performance.

pay should open up and tell the media conference his players are dumb and stupid, for laying all over them and leg pulls when they trying to play the ball, stop sugar coating stupidity and start calling it out

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I will say only this. Todays game the refs decide who wins who loses. Dont kid yourself when a ref can decide who has the ball its game over. You have to be a bloody good team to beat the refs. Possession is it. Nrl rules mean nothing because there only used when the ref decides to use them
Exactly this ^^. No question we were beaten by a bigger, faster, more optioned, better organised team.

But the possession was 60/40 most of the game. A lot of it our own fault but we got no penalties where they could have been given.

It gives us no momentum, chasing the ball all game, and we end up tiring and looking like chumps. When we get it back we have no game breakers or aggression to do anything with it and we couldn't keep with them. The Broncs probably played as well as they can.

Last night highlighted though the way teams need to build their roster. The small forward has been replaced by agile, skilful, man giants able to pass and bend the line.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly this ^^. No question we were beaten by a bigger, faster, more optioned, better organised team.

But the possession was 60/40 most of the game. A lot of it our own fault but we got no penalties where they could have been given.

It gives us no momentum, chasing the ball all game, and we end up tiring and looking like chumps. When we get it back we have no game breakers or aggression to do anything with it and we couldn't keep with them. The Broncs probably played as well as they can.

Last night highlighted though the way teams need to build their roster. The small forward has been replaced by agile, skilful, man giants able to pass and bend the line.
As said elsewhere- it's the penalties we don't get that make the difference. How many times are we penalised defending our line, while our opponents are given leeway to stand offside. Every game we have to withstand three or four sets of six on our line each time the opposition is down our end of the field; while we are lucky to get one repeat set all game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As said elsewhere- it's the penalties we don't get that make the difference. How many times are we penalised defending our line, while our opponents are given leeway to stand offside. Every game we have to withstand three or four sets of six on our line each time the opposition is down our end of the field; while we are lucky to get one repeat set all game.
Exactly right. I don't think people realise how influential refs decisions are. Just see us falling off tackles but don't take account the amt of possession the refs give to opposition. We are already smaller with no x factor so we run out of juice. (Pays use of the bench don't help)

Even the harshest of fans can surely see we are always up against it. Almost never get a fair go.

Even subtle slowing the ptb, offside, marginally late tackles on Cogger all add up to have an effect.

Yes we are a dumb team but all these factors are too much for an already average group to overcome and I reckon refs like Cummins and Sutton in particular love, and facilitate, it.