Shifty' Sherwin returns to Bulldogs to mentor halves

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see Shifty doing this.
I thought he was already involved in the halves coaching but I must have been mistaken.
Pay should have been on to this long ago and it should be more frequently than once a week.
Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham all have potential in their own ways, they just need a creative half to guide them and mold them to realise the potential.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Great to see Shifty doing this.
I thought he was already involved in the halves coaching but I must have been mistaken.
Pay should have been on to this long ago and it should be more frequently than once a week.
Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham all have potential in their own ways, they just need a creative half to guide them and mold them to realise the potential.
If Johns works with Cronk and Keary as their halves coach....well our guys certainly need all the help they can get and Shifty would certainly help.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Brings back some nice and happy memories when we mention shifty. Was a class act and i think the one to benefit the most from shifty will be cogger.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shit yeah!!! Shifty was a legend! Sounds like they are trying to get "the band" back together.

I wonder why Halligan and not El Masri is helping with kicking??

Either way this is encouraging news. Now get Corey Hughes back to work with our hookers, and Mason to work with the props and get Nick Meaney agro. Oh and get Luke Patten working with Meaney.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Shifty the last bloke to do the "kick from the scrum or 20m line on a restart, and regather it if it went dead". It was some really obscure rule that wasn't used much.
The "angry" human kite you reckon ...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder why Halligan and not El Masri is helping with kicking?
Halligan is still a professional kicking coach and was coaching Martin last year, they did a number of separate sessions after training that I saw (it might have been more, I don't get to many sessions). I don't believe that continued this year due to Martin. Looking at Meaney's kicking style and accuracy improvement this year (87.5%) it is certainly working for him.

Go Dogs

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halligan is still a professional kicking coach and was coaching Martin last year, they did a number of separate sessions after training that I saw (it might have been more, I don't get to many sessions). I don't believe that continued this year due to Martin. Looking at Meaney's kicking style and accuracy improvement this year (87.5%) it is certainly working for him.

Go Dogs
Meaney's goal kicking has been great since taking it on. Credit to him.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hallelujah! This guy might just be the answer to our halves issues. He was an absolute gem for the Bulldogs and is one bloke i am really happy to have back at the club in a mentoring role.

Finally an admission that what we have is NOT working and needs to improve and Shifty is the guy who can do it.

fireclust

Waterboy
Reaction score
He’ll be good for Wakeham, that kid shows a lot of promise.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is awesome news, what a positive move by the club and just to have Shifty back and passing on his knowledge is fantastic...he was a brilliant half and I think he has a lot to offer, hopefully he can get these guys playing great footy

Last edited:

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shifty's grubbers usually went out, we need to weight them better and preferably on an angle in the in goal and turn the ball sideways so it don't bounce up, Joey tip.
Not my recollection- el Masri and Utai scored many tries off them. These wingers weren’t tall but the accuracy of Sherwin’s kicks found their targets perfectly.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Shifty please from bad to worst