News Drug Lord Joaquin Guzman aka El Chapo sentenced to life in prison in US.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We all know how that worked out for the Mexicans when they had him locked up. Let the games begin.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/17/drug-kingpin-el-chapo-sentenced-to-life-in-prison.html

The Mexican drug lord known as “El Chapo” was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison plus thirty years at a hearing where he accused the U.S. government of corruption and of torturing him during his confinement.

El Chapo, whose real name is Joaquin Guzman Loera, also was ordered to forfeit $12.6 billion during his sentencing in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, New York.

Judge Brian Cogan, who cited what he called Guzman’s “overwhelming evil” in announcing the mandated sentence, will determine later how much he must pay in restitution.

The kingpin, who had twice escaped maximum security prisons in Mexico, was convicted earlier this year of presiding over a vast criminal operation, the Sinaloa Cartel, which funneled immense quantities of narcotics, including heroin and methamphetamine, into the United States.

Guzman did not testify during the three-month trial, but broke his silence Wednesday.

He claimed, in a tear-choked statement, that he had been denied justice during his trial and confinement in New York City.

“Since the government will send me to a jail where my name will not ever be heard again, I take this opportunity to say: There was no justice here,” El Chapo told Cogan, according to the New York Daily News.

“I drink unsanitary water, no air or sunlight, and the air pumped in makes my ears and throat hurt. In order to sleep, I put toilet paper in my ears. My wife had not been allowed to visit, and I can’t hug my daughters,” he said, according to NBC News. “This has been psychological, emotional and mental torture 24 hours a day.”

“My case was stained and you denied me a fair trial when the world was watching. What happened here is the U.S. is not better than any other corrupt country,” Guzman added.

Guzman spoke in Spanish. His comments were translated by one of his lawyers.

The defense indicated to Cogan that they plan to appeal on the grounds of juror misconduct, according to Vice News, which was at the hearing.

A juror told that news outlet in February that jurors violated the judge’s orders barring them from following the case in the media.

“What occurred here was not justice. How we treat our most reviled is a measuring stick for our own society,” defense attorney Jeffrey Lichtman said, according to NBC News.

But prosecutors said that Guzman was “uniquely deserving” of the harsh sentence.

“There were countless victims of his orders to kill,” prosecutor Gina Parlovecchio said. “He has shown no remorse.”

One of Guzman’s alleged victims, Andrea Velez Fernandez, spoke at the sentencig.

“Today I come here a miracle of god,” Velez Fernandez said. “Mr. Guzman used me as bait to kidnap someone in Ecuador. He offered one million dollars to Hells Angels to end my life. Fortunately I found out and escaped with the help of the FBI.

Guzman’s earned billions of dollars while serving as the head of the Sinaloa Cartel, which government researchers have called the “most powerful drug trafficking syndicate in the Western Hemisphere.”

And he became a legend for his evasion of authorities.

One of Guzman’s notorious prison escapes, in 2015, was made through a mile-long tunnel.

His first escape, in 2001, came when he hid in a prison laundry cart.

That slippery reputation, coupled with the violent nature of his crimes, means Guzman is likely to serve his time in the “supermax” U.S. prison known as ADX Florence, located in Colorado. It is the highest-security federal prison in the country.

“You can bury Joaquín Guzman under tons of steel in Colorado but you’re never going to erase the stink of” his trial, Lichtman told reporters after the sentencing.

Prosecutors had argued that the $12.6 billion figure was a “conservative” estimate of the amount of drug money Guzman generated as chief of the Sinaloa Cartel.

The Sinaloa Cartel remains a dominant drug trafficking organization in Mexico and maintains distribution hubs in Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver, and Chicago, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If he's spending life in jail, the can't exactly make him forfeit that money though, right?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why should he pay restitution if he's spending life in prison plus 30 years? Better off spending that money on an army or technology to help him escape..

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Poor Gomez has to look after all them restaurants by himself now

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if $12,000,000,000 is enough for him to plan his escape!

@The_Chimpster this actually reminds me of a movie I recently watched but didn't review in the movie thread...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211956/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_18

Wouldn't mind your review on that my man :grinning:

Here you go Wahesh

Tough and chiseled Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) knows how to infiltrate a prison -- and bust out of one. His latest job leads to a double-cross, leaving him stuck in a high-tech facility with the worst that society has to offer. Luckily for Ray, he meets Emil Rottmayer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), an inmate who secretly helps him hatch a plot to win his freedom. Only sadistic warden Hobbes (Jim Caviezel) stands in the way of the two men successfully making it out alive.

Nothing new here, pretty much your standard arnie/stallone action flick, turn off your brain sit back and enjoy (even if you can't understand stallone's lines through all the mumbling)

2/5

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Here you go Wahesh

Tough and chiseled Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) knows how to infiltrate a prison -- and bust out of one. His latest job leads to a double-cross, leaving him stuck in a high-tech facility with the worst that society has to offer. Luckily for Ray, he meets Emil Rottmayer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), an inmate who secretly helps him hatch a plot to win his freedom. Only sadistic warden Hobbes (Jim Caviezel) stands in the way of the two men successfully making it out alive.

Nothing new here, pretty much your standard arnie/stallone action flick, turn off your brain sit back and enjoy (even if you can't understand stallone's lines through all the mumbling)

2/5
Love your reviews mate. I found the movie very boring and would give it a 4/10 as well. I can't believe I actually stayed awake throughout it.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
With that amount of money, you could just have every U.S president assassinated till they either send him back or nobody wants to run for pres anymore.

Wouldn't be surprised if people involved in the trial are all killed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How much was the wall going to cost to build again? $12 billion would be due to proceeds of crime, and pay a good chunk of the wall off I reckon.

Apparently it's like $60 billion roughly, so that is a good down payment.

Guzman just made it to the final level in the Prison Break game :D

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont even believe its the real Guzman. Wouldnt be hard to find a few suitable "replacements" to go through plastic surgery in return for setting up their families for life. What is a few mill for each dummy Guzman? Couple of weeks profit?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I dont even believe its the real Guzman. Wouldnt be hard to find a few suitable "replacements" to go through plastic surgery in return for setting up their families for life. What is a few mill for each dummy Guzman? Couple of weeks profit?
I think the USA would have made sure that it's definitely him. But in Mexico would be easy for him to bribe officials to look the other way.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why is a drug lord crying victim? And using falsehood words that AOC used about what’s happening at the border.
Shouldn’t this guy be getting the death penalty if there was true justice?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why is a drug lord crying victim? And using falsehood words that AOC used about what’s happening at the border.
Shouldn’t this guy be getting the death penalty if there was true justice?
If he was killed, his widow / family would get his money as inheritance.

By keeping him alive the US can seize it as proceeds of crime.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he was killed, his widow / family would get his money as inheritance.

By keeping him alive the US can seize it as proceeds of crime.
Still why is there sympathy for a drug lord. Ridiculous.
AOC might try and get him out and claim his a victim of American colonialism and concentration camps on the boarder. Fucking retarded woman

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
El Chapo will be coping the El Whoppos till he dies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he ordered execution he might end up like Carl Williams, never ending cycle of pay backs.
He would have had a shit load of people wacked in his time at the top.