News Incredible untold story of Corey Harawira-Naera’s impossible journey to the NRL

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corey Harawira-Naera has a leather belt in his hand and little idea of what to do next.

But still, he wants out.

Desperate to be free of the bullying, homesickness and most certainly the sudden, overwhelming hopelessness.

And so fighting back tears inside a small, boarding school bedroom, the scrawny schoolboy begins a series of events that will eventually be remembered only as a blur.

Like exactly who raced into that room and saved him?

“Couldn’t say,” Harawira-Naera shrugs.

Just as 11 years on, this newest Canterbury Bulldogs star — and likely, future New Zealand Test backrower — has never spoken in detail about the night with anyone.

Not even mum.

But forget?

Corey Harawira-Naera in action for the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty
No, that day Harawira-Naera tried to take his own life, it now exists as something of a heartbeat.

The incident this Bulldogs backrower, still only 24, recalls at times like when his new club lost all but three of its opening 14 games, slumping to last on the NRL ladder.

Same deal in March, when unwittingly dragged into an NRL sex tape scandal. Then again in June, when dropped by coach Dean Pay for perceived defensive errors.

Not that anyone, including his teammates, know.

Yet in a chaotic year where this Waimamaku product has left Penrith, represented Maori All Stars, got dropped, reinstated, even been dragged, wrongly, into that video scandal at his old club, the night inside his dorm endures.

“Knowing,” Harawira-Naera says, “that nothing in my life will ever be that tough again”.

Which matters.

Panthers Corey Harawira-Naera during the 2015 Holden Cup grand final. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Especially when you consider this workaholic Canterbury recruit, signed until the end 2022, is effectively the bedrock on which the Belmore club is now planning its rebuild.

A revival, coincidentally, for which Harawira-Naera is suited perfectly.

And for proof, go back to that evening when he was just 13.

Back then, the son of a single mum who — having grown up sharing bedrooms in a family home without power, hot water, sometimes both — was this particular night returning to his dorm room following another dinner at the school’s mess hall.

“And I was really down,” Harawira-Naera recalls. “I was homesick, getting bullied, it was tough.

Corey Harawira-Naera with his family. Source: Instagram
“Then after dinner, headed back to the dorms, one of the boys snuck up behind me and, as a joke, stabbed me in the back with a plastic knife …”

And from there?

“Crazy,” he says. “I just thought ‘nah, I don’t want to be here anymore’.

“So I ran to my room, and tried to end my life.

“It’s something not many people know.

“At the time I wasn’t even really sure how I was going to do it, but my mind was made up.”

At which time, thankfully, another boarder was passing his open door.

“Although I can’t even remember who it was,” Harawira-Naera concedes.

Just as more than a decade on, this gifted footballer with 59 NRL games still struggles to comprehend his snap.

“Although I was a scrawny kid back then, tiny, and had a couple of boys bullying me,” he recalls. “So that wasn’t fun.

“I was really homesick too.

“And while I’d been telling Mum for a while I didn’t want to stay there, I probably wasn’t telling her as much as I meant.

“So then, with that boy sneaking up on me … it was the final straw.”

More than that, too.

In fact, Harawira-Naera’s darkest episode has, ever since, acted as fuel for a footballer who was unwanted by the Warriors, lived above horse stables after arriving in Australia, and even found himself dropped, more than once, with Panthers under-20s.

For almost a year, Harawira-Naera trained while working as a fencer. So light too, he would wake around three o’clock every morning to consume protein shakes.

All up, so completely tattooed by tenacity his Panthers farewell brought then general manager Phil Gould to tears.

And even then, without Gus knowing the full story.

“As soon as Mum heard what happened, she wanted me home,” Harawira-Naera continues of his suicide attempt.

“I can still see her face too, when I jumped off the bus and she ran over to me crying.

“And looking back now, I can see how selfish it was. Knowing how I would’ve changed mum’s life forever — and everybody else I loved — by making that decision.

“So now when things get tough, it’s something I draw on.

“While Mum and I have never really spoken about it since — and there’s nothing needs saying — I know things will never be that hard again.

Corey Harawira-Naera living and working at Fernhill at Mulgola during his time at the Panthers.
“So when I’m down in the dumps, I go back and draw on those tough times.

“Make sure I surround myself with good people, too.

“Because it’s crazy sometimes how much losing a footy game can control how you feel.

“So I’ve learned to be grateful for everything I have.”

Importantly, Harawira-Naera owns other motivators too.

Like the large, brick home which, right now existing only in his mind, he plans to buy for mum Trina.

A selfless foster care worker who, still living across the ditch, has devoted her life to caring for up to 10 children at once.

Growing up, Harawira-Naera remembers the hot water being cut so often he grew accustomed to cold showers.

Just as on weekends, he would sneak into the neighbouring school’s toilet block to power hair clippers, mobile phones, everything.

Which goes some way to explaining how, against Brisbane in Thursday Night Football, this Belmore backrower looks set to continue the unlikeliest of Bulldogs’ resurgences.

Over the past fortnight, not only starring in consecutive upsets against both Cronulla and Newcastle, but proving himself the type of player on whom this battling club can rebuild.

And, again, fuelled by that dream home.

One which existing on the outskirts of Penrith, or maybe Gregory Hills, boasts an in-ground pool, grassed backyard, even a playroom for Harawira-Naera’s little brother Manaaki, 3, and son Elijah, almost two.

“Although Mum’s always saying that I don’t have to get her a house,” he shrugs. “She’s the type of person who has never wanted handouts ever, from anyone.

“But the house, it’s something I’m committed to. Something I’m saving for.

“And she knows that’s my motivation.

“Always has been.

“Even when I first moved over here, I wasn’t doing it for myself. I was doing it for my mum, my family.

“And every time things get hard, I draw on that.”

Which is why, for the first time, Harawira-Naera is also opening up on his past.

All of it.

“Because, hopefully, I can bring some awareness to the issue,” he says. “Prove to even one young person doing it tough that, yeah, you can come through the other side.

“Show them that there are better days ahead. That blessings are coming for you.

“So work hard, hang in … and never, ever give up.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/5731bdf7e1f9ef207284176973bb4138

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly had my doubts when we signed him.
But after seeing how he presents himself, speaks with intent and his all round demeanor is something to be in awe of.
He definitely has all the leadership qualities you'd want in a senior player.

Life's not easy at the best of times, but to achieve your goals through nothing but adversity is an incredible feat. This is the type of player that appreciates everything and doesn't squander opportunities like some other players who have found their way into our great club and been nothing but pay cheque players.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
CHN..great stuff.

It’s all incredible.. most nrl stories are lol..

But well done son..!!!! Another kiwi to add to the list :grinning:

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fav dogs player, reminds me of reni matua the way he plays.
I guess another thing in common with reni too, mental health is a worry.

Fuckin bullies, i hate those lowlifes i dont care what age.
Nice lad corey, i was stoked when we picked him up.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Luv watching this guy play for us. One of a few standing up and being noticed. His game this year has really improved and one player providing inspiration to our team. CHN your a champ mate good luck with your future and with the dogs.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Poor guy. Hope he continues to tear it up. Come on dogs, rip the broncos and tear the comp apart for the rest of the year.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope we keep him long term he’s a gun player yet the dope pay had him in reserve grade dumb **** .

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
<iframe width="1280" height="543" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Durie1986

Banned
Reaction score
Last few games his defence has been great. Credit to Deano for improving him as a player

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Last few games his defence has been great. Credit to Deano for improving him as a player
Lol no, he literally lost his test spot playing under Pay. CHN is performing about as well as he previously has at the Panthers, showing plenty of ability and doing good things with the footy but failing to nail down consistency and getting his discipline right.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Obviously the whole team has responded to the coaching staff’s emphasis on defence over the past few weeks. Gotta give credit to where credit is due I guess.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love this guy!! But his mums a bitch for neglecting him
How does she live with herself?.. I still feel guilty for forgetting my sons lunch in year 2..

Last edited: