Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
meninga is completely clueless and out of his depth, he wouldn't have the faintest idea about coaching and dont give me the crap about him winning all those origins, he was only coach by name and nothing else
Michael Hagan was the real coach, Meninga was the figurehead, same with the Kangaroos.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My tip for next year is Holbrook coach , Pay , Kimmorley assistant coaches.

Pay wont be sacked from the club . !! Nor should he. Pay has done well with what he has had. However its time for another coach !!
I agree with some of this. Pay wont be sacked. Pay has done well with what he had.
Dont you and everyone else thing he should be allowed to finish what he has started.
I know people on here only have one agenda, and that is results. It takes time to rebuild after the horrors we have been through.
I say give him more time to build his team to his standards. Holbrook can go to the Titans if he wants to.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with some of this. Pay wont be sacked. Pay has done well with what he had.
Dont you and everyone else thing he should be allowed to finish what he has started.
I know people on here only have one agenda, and that is results. It takes time to rebuild after the horrors we have been through.
I say give him more time to build his team to his standards. Holbrook can go to the Titans if he wants to.
There's no time buddy to fuk around...we will have a watch chest in 2021 and we need the right coach to attract the right players....

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Michael Hagan was the real coach, Meninga was the figurehead, same with the Kangaroos.

Go Dogs
Meninga - unproven as a coach in my eyes.... did SFA with the Raiders as their head coach. In regards to QLD he had the best of the best as players in their prime and experienced... enough said

Hagan - another flop as a coach.... he won a comp with a player called Andrew Johns... enough said

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think he’d be coming in as an assistant, I believe that will be offered to pay as a take it or leave it
If our club was smart when extending Pay, you would like to think there would be a stipulation in there about an offer of an assistant role or similar if another coach was sourced as a head coach in 2020

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Meninga - unproven as a coach in my eyes.... did SFA with the Raiders as their head coach. In regards to QLD he had the best of the best as players in their prime and experienced... enough said
Hagan - another flop as a coach.... he won a comp with a player called Andrew Johns... enough said
IMHO Hagan is good coach of players but doesn't handle the other stuff that head coaches have to face up to and his health suffers as a result.

Go Dogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If we have finally done it and signed Holbrook next seasons membership won’t be broken for me. I hope they do as I’d hate to end over a decade at only 32

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was weird that Baa had Shifty playing on wing in 98 for the Presidents Cup side! I think Shifty really benefited from having Polly and Stuart around in his early days of first grade so he could ease himself in and learn from 2 seasoned veterans. You don’t realise how much of a luxury it is until you don’t have it.
Didn't Shifty also play a bit of fullback when he first came into FG and was in and out of the side? I remember him being off the bench a few times too. People forget that he took a few years to find his feet and position in FG.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry but we need to get a better coach. Holbrook i reckon is the man for the Job. Pay can stay on only as an assistant or forwards coach.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is it possible they bring Holbrook into a Coaching Director type role with accountability for all teams and coaches in the club. He’d then have 12 months to work out if ‘he’ wants Pay to stick around and / or cost the club, along with the rest of the backroom set up???

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible they bring Holbrook into a Coaching Director type role with accountability for all teams and coaches in the club. He’d then have 12 months to work out if ‘he’ wants Pay to stick around and / or cost the club, along with the rest of the backroom set up???
Over complicating it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No lol. Holbrook head coach and it's as simple as that. If Pay stays on in any role then I really don't see how that benefits us. He can go back to the Raiders and maybe we can see their defence fall apart again like it did under him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s no way Pay can still be head coach if Holbrook is at the club next year. It’s absolute madness and it will just create friction.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't Shifty also play a bit of fullback when he first came into FG and was in and out of the side? I remember him being off the bench a few times too. People forget that he took a few years to find his feet and position in FG.
Yeah that’s right Shifty never really made the 7 jersey his own until 2002. He looked good coming on a super sub in 1999 then dropped off for the next 2 years.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If our club was smart when extending Pay, you would like to think there would be a stipulation in there about an offer of an assistant role or similar if another coach was sourced as a head coach in 2020
How do you know that isn’t the case?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
St Helens are flying. If a coach was going to extend their contract, he wouldn't hold out for months to sign..... obviously he is leaving them.
If he has signed with us it is laughable to think he is going to work under Dean Pay. Probably the stupidest report I've heard for a long time. Can u imagine the headline.

DOGS GET THEIR MAN. ASSISTANT CONFIRMED