KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great he’s back

But if he has designs on one day coaching he best not listen to Pay

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finally 5hey are listening to the kennel we have been calling for 5his for the past few years

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Like to see him there at training for a few more days than a Monday. A great start tho.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sherwin...

Oh how the 'Dogs have missed someone of his calibre....

Absolutely godlike on his day

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shifty these days will still be better than most halfbacks running around NRL level..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Shit yeah!!! Shifty was a legend! Sounds like they are trying to get "the band" back together.

I wonder why Halligan and not El Masri is helping with kicking??

Either way this is encouraging news. Now get Corey Hughes back to work with our hookers, and Mason to work with the props and get Nick Meaney agro. Oh and get Luke Patten working with Meaney.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Shifty the last bloke to do the "kick from the scrum or 20m line on a restart, and regather it if it went dead". It was some really obscure rule that wasn't used much.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's something about Cogger, his attitude towards learning and just generally being a sponge for knowledge. He really is improving every week and you can tell he's trying to learn as much as possible.

I don't know how long Sherwin's already been there, but I know Cogger will learn as much as he can off him.
He is starting to develop a good running game isn’t he?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw Shifty on The Fan with Vossy a few weeks back. He drives trucks now - has a trucking business. I think egos have a lot to do with why a coach like Pay wouldnt bring a master half like Shifty back into the fold earlier. It was painfully obvious last season that our halves needed help in managing a game. But for some reason it takes another year and untold losses before Shifty offer of help is taken up. Like Pay the bloke bleeds blue and white and Im sure he could organise an employee to do his runs so he could devote more time with the team. It isnt just halves either. Its critical in todays game given the pace of the game thst the hooker/dummy half can kick. Shifty needs to instill confidence in our hooker be it Liccha JK or whoever how to pick opportunities and execute in the helta skelter of the moment. Maybe they lack confidence. Shifty can help them to read defensive numbers and in developing the various kicking skills the best dummy halves possess. We have pushed the reset button after moving Hasler on, Pay was a prop, his strength was defence but finally ego has given way to common sense to ring the skills of Shifty back to Belmore. May these and future Dogs halves continue to benefit from the wisdom and knowledge of the true bulldogs legend that is Brent Sherwin.

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kick to the sideline from a 20m tap. As long as the ball bouncers in the field of play you get the scrum feed from where it went out. Still a rule now.
Shit yeah!!! Shifty was a legend! Sounds like they are trying to get "the band" back together.

I wonder why Halligan and not El Masri is helping with kicking??

Either way this is encouraging news. Now get Corey Hughes back to work with our hookers, and Mason to work with the props and get Nick Meaney agro. Oh and get Luke Patten working with Meaney.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Shifty the last bloke to do the "kick from the scrum or 20m line on a restart, and regather it if it went dead". It was some really obscure rule that wasn't used much.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Kick to the sideline from a 20m tap. As long as the ball bouncers in the field of play you get the scrum feed from where it went out. Still a rule now.
That was the one!!! Cheers.

Suprised not many teams make use of that, as if a teams right on your line attacking, grubber and it goes dead, a good kicker could get into the line, belt it over the sideline catching wingers out, and score valuable metres.

Sure you'd negate 1 tackle from a 7th tackle set, but you'd gain far more metres than a 10m hitup.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Shifty was the cronk of the nrl before cronk was cronk. His pin point kicking and ability to time in with that spark in attack. Shifty should be in the top 5 of 7s for that decade. Nice to hear he call pay and offered, I'm guessing this didn't start in the pre season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was the one!!! Cheers.

Suprised not many teams make use of that, as if a teams right on your line attacking, grubber and it goes dead, a good kicker could get into the line, belt it over the sideline catching wingers out, and score valuable metres.

Sure you'd negate 1 tackle from a 7th tackle set, but you'd gain far more metres than a 10m hitup.
A 20m tap is 7 tackles now, so I guess there's no point.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
3 words: “short kicking game”

We need to learn how again
Shifty's grubbers usually went out, we need to weight them better and preferably on an angle in the in goal and turn the ball sideways so it don't bounce up, Joey tip.