Other News Source Bulldogs to try lure Brisbane hooker Jake Turpin to Belmore

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Watched Broncos again and Turpin doesn't do it for me at all... wouldn't be sad at all if we missed out

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep 100% if Lichaa plays this way for the rest of the season I would definitely be thinking about an extension, the one guy I think we should let go is Montoya, he's as dumb as a stump and almost butchered a try by not passing to Meaney when he had him on his outside and an easy run under the sticks, Holland would have passed.
Based on one play............ interesting ........... Holland wouldn't have made half the distance at his pace.
Based on one play............ OK then ............ Smith should be dropped after spilling the back handed flick pass from Hopoate, lost try for sure.
Overall game wise, I've been surprised by Montoya this season, he is back to something like his 2017 form.

Go Dogs

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on one play............ interesting ........... Holland wouldn't have made half the distance at his pace.
Based on one play............ OK then ............ Smith should be dropped after spilling the back handed flick pass from Hopoate, lost try for sure.
Overall game wise, I've been surprised by Montoya this season, he is back to something like his 2017 form.

Go Dogs
He is better than last year, but he just doesn't have a football brain and is accident prone, Holland has his faults but I feel a smarter player by far.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope you're right. I don't have the same faith in them as you do, especially after the panic Napa signing and the uninspiring signings of all others bar DWZ, Stimson and CHN.

As I said earlier, even if Sue, Chrichton, Cogger and Meaney are on modest deals, they're locked up for two more years, take up valuable squad spots and the club could have signed better players with more upside on the same amount than they did.
Mate it was reported that we spent 1.4 to 1.6 million on 6 players. Napa , Meaney Cogger , Sue , CHN and Crichton. You do the maths if you believe Napa is on 600

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate it was reported that we spent 1.4 to 1.6 million on 6 players. Napa , Meaney Cogger , Sue , CHN and Crichton. You do the maths if you believe Napa is on 600
Who reported that?

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm throwing out my Mineral Turpintime banner idea I thought up.

Fuck you bulldogs.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who reported that?

Go Dogs
The Bulldogs saying they had only had that much committed to 2021 salary before the DWZ and Stimson deals. It was posted here in the fan forum meeting thing they had a month ago.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I might be high but I'd honestly just keep JMK at this point

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be high but I'd honestly just keep JMK at this point
There doesn’t seem to be anyone that would be a big upgrade, unless we somehow sign Robson or Grant. The cap space would be better spent on some more forw..., I mean outside backs and maybe another half.

JMK is developing nicely, especially with his running game. Just needs to learn when to pass. If he can continue improving, I’d keep him and see if Zac Hetherington comes good.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There doesn’t seem to be anyone that would be a big upgrade, unless we somehow sign Robson or Grant. The cap space would be better spent on some more forw..., I mean outside backs and maybe another half.

JMK is developing nicely, especially with his running game. Just needs to learn when to pass. If he can continue improving, I’d keep him and see if Zac Hetherington comes good.
Was about to ask if hetherington or any junior can do the job

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Broncos must fend off NRL rivals’ interest in rookie Jake Turpin
JULY 17, 2019
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold concedes the club faces a battle to retain Jake Turpin, with six clubs, including Thursday evening’s opponents Canterbury, targeting Brisbane’s Mr Fixit.

Just seven months ago, Turpin wasn’t even in Brisbane’s 30-man full-time squad and was one of the NRL’s lowest-paid players on a contract worth around $70,000.

Now the 22-year-old has become one of the most sought-after players on the open market, the by-product of a fine 2019 campaign in which Turpin has become Brisbane’s solution to a number of positional problems.

Turpin has gone beyond expectations this season. Image: AAP Image/David Rowland
Signed by Brisbane as a hooker, Turpin has operated at dummy-half this season and filled in for Anthony Milford at five-eighth, before shifting to halfback last week against the Warriors after Sean O’Sullivan injured his hamstring.

Turpin will play his 11th career game alongside Darius Boyd in the Broncos halves against the Bulldogs, but how long he remains at Red Hill depends on Brisbane’s salary cap position and what other clubs are willing to pay for him.

The Broncos initially tabled a one-year deal, but with the Bulldogs understood to have offered a three-year package, Brisbane will need to up the ante to keep the hard-hitting utility.

Seibold confirmed the poaching threat but said the Broncos were reluctant to lose the Ipswich product, who has become a valued member of Brisbane’s roster.

The youngster doesn’t have plans to leave Red Hill yet. Image: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
“There has been a bit of interest from a number of clubs,” he said. “But we have made Jake an offer and we are working towards retaining him.”

The Warriors are also eyeing off Turpin and while he could earn more elsewhere, the former Storm rake hopes the Broncos can come to the party with a palatable deal.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do yet,” he said.

“I love playing for the Broncos. It’s the club I grew up supporting, so it’s a dream come true to even play for them.

“With my contract, I don’t know yet when it will be finalised. I’ll focus on my footy and if I’m doing well there it will sort itself out.

“My preference is to stay. I like it here, mum and dad live an hour-and-a-half away from Brisbane so my family are close enough.

“I will sit down with the Broncos and my manager and sort out what I want to do in the next few weeks.”

Brisbane can ill afford to lose the young talent now. Image: AAP Image/Craig Golding
Turpin will oppose promising Canterbury halfback Jack Cogger and says he is happy to temporarily occupy the Broncos No.7 jumper made famous by Allan Langer.

“I don’t care what number I wear,” he said with a laugh.

“Wherever ‘Seibs’ (Seibold) puts me I will play. As long as I am playing first grade, I am happy.

“Whatever position the coach puts me in, I will do my job.

“The Bulldogs had a good win last week so it’s important we’re not complacent this week, myself included.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/d952e58c08a775c04c7486dabf31779c

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is random but on the topic of hookers lol, back in the 2014 grand final I can't believe we played Moses mbye at hooker when Ennis was out while we had Damien fucking cook running around In reserves lol, it makes you throw up thinking about it lol
It certainly still makes me sick knowing we let him go! who was picking the team then?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
JULY 17, 2019
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold concedes the club faces a battle to retain Jake Turpin, with six clubs, including Thursday evening’s opponents Canterbury, targeting Brisbane’s Mr Fixit.

Just seven months ago, Turpin wasn’t even in Brisbane’s 30-man full-time squad and was one of the NRL’s lowest-paid players on a contract worth around $70,000.

Now the 22-year-old has become one of the most sought-after players on the open market, the by-product of a fine 2019 campaign in which Turpin has become Brisbane’s solution to a number of positional problems.

Signed by Brisbane as a hooker, Turpin has operated at dummy-half this season and filled in for Anthony Milford at five-eighth, before shifting to halfback last week against the Warriors after Sean O’Sullivan injured his hamstring.

Turpin will play his 11th career game alongside Darius Boyd in the Broncos halves against the Bulldogs, but how long he remains at Red Hill depends on Brisbane’s salary cap position and what other clubs are willing to pay for him.

The Broncos initially tabled a one-year deal, but with the Bulldogs understood to have offered a three-year package, Brisbane will need to up the ante to keep the hard-hitting utility.

Seibold confirmed the poaching threat but said the Broncos were reluctant to lose the Ipswich product, who has become a valued member of Brisbane’s roster.

The youngster doesn’t have plans to leave Red Hill yet. Image: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
“There has been a bit of interest from a number of clubs,” he said. “But we have made Jake an offer and we are working towards retaining him.”

The Warriors are also eyeing off Turpin and while he could earn more elsewhere, the former Storm rake hopes the Broncos can come to the party with a palatable deal.

“I love playing for the Broncos. It’s the club I grew up supporting, so it’s a dream come true to even play for them.

“With my contract, I don’t know yet when it will be finalised. I’ll focus on my footy and if I’m doing well there it will sort itself out.

“My preference is to stay. I like it here, mum and dad live an hour-and-a-half away from Brisbane so my family are close enough.

“I will sit down with the Broncos and my manager and sort out what I want to do in the next few weeks.”

Brisbane can ill afford to lose the young talent now. Image: AAP Image/Craig Golding
Turpin will oppose promising Canterbury halfback Jack Cogger and says he is happy to temporarily occupy the Broncos No.7 jumper made famous by Allan Langer.

“Wherever ‘Seibs’ (Seibold) puts me I will play. As long as I am playing first grade, I am happy.

“The Bulldogs had a good win last week so it’s important we’re not complacent this week, myself included.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/d952e58c08a775c04c7486dabf31779c
Sounds like he's happy up there... hope we don't get him tbh.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JULY 17, 2019

I haven't seen much of the Broncos since he moved away from hooker, all I know is the side looked better with him at hooker than anywhere else. Not going to be sad if we miss out on him though, hopefully we don't offer him anything too crazy and end up with another JMK.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not a big loss, he’s mediocre at best: though just more shit as our guys aren’t even that