Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don't know what you read, but as far as I understood....they meant Barrett could be a candidate for Tits job, not Dogs.

" Trent Barrett is another name that has been rumoured to be in the mix should Canterbury make a change."

I think the change referred to us moving on Pay and getting Holbrook.
Haha exactly what I read.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know what you read, but as far as I understood....they meant Barrett could be a candidate for Tits job, not Dogs.

" Trent Barrett is another name that has been rumoured to be in the mix should Canterbury make a change."

I think the change referred to us moving on Pay and getting Holbrook.
Haha exactly what I read.
Ha ha - I read it as Barrett being a chance with us if we had a change of coach.

All types of crosswires..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The Gold Coast could miss out on their first choice to replace Garth Brennan as coach, with developments at Belmore threatening to dictate the availability of candidates.

Justin Holbrook is a leading contender to take over from axed coach Garth Brennan, but the St Helens mentor has also been linked to the top job at Canterbury, where incumbent Dean Pay is believed to be under pressure. Holbrook’s stocks are on the rise after steering the Saints to the top of the ladder, five wins clear of their nearest opponents.

Brennan has only just been sacked, the casualty of a review overseen by Titans head of performance and culture Mal Meninga. Already, Gold Coast powerbrokers have identified Holbrook as a preferred candidate, particularly if Queensland coach Kevin Walters can't be persuaded to backflip on his decision to rule himself out of contention.

St Helens have been trying to re-sign Holbrook but he has held off in the hope of landing an NRL gig. And the Titans may not be his only option. Dean Pay is contracted to Canterbury until the end of next year but is himself under pressure, although that has eased, at least temporarily, following upset wins over Cronulla and Newcastle. Still, his team sits only above the Titans on the ladder and anything less than a 12th-placed finish means they will finish lower than last year.

Having previously worked at Canterbury, Holbrook appears a natural fit at the "Family Club" and speculation about a move there intensified after Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill recently spent time in the UK. While Hill met briefly with Holbrook, the former Knights, Roosters and Panthers halfback was just one of several identities the Bulldogs boss caught up with during his travels.

“The purpose of my recent UK trip was around player recruitment,” Hill said. “In the past three or four months, a number of clubs had already been there. It’s well documented that a number of players over there have NRL club interest.”

Hill is understood to be interested in signing St Helens props Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley when they are off contract in 2021, but intrigue continues to surround Holbrook. It’s understood his preference would be to coach at Canterbury, given the Gold Coast is fast gaining a reputation for ending first-grade coaching careers.

But given the scarcity of opportunities in the NRL, it is undertsood Holbrook is hoping to get an indication of Canterbury’s intentions before fully committing himself to the Titans opportunity. Trent Barrett is another name that has been rumoured to be in the mix should Canterbury make a change.

Gold Coast chairman Dennis Watt said it was his preference to appoint someone with NRL head coaching experience, but few such candidates are available. Barrett, Tim Sheens, Anthony Griffin and Geoff Toovey fit the bill but there isn’t a standout choice. It also remains to be seen whether a seasoned coach would want to work alongside someone of Meninga’s stature and influence.

Other potential candidates include Jim Dymock, Jason Demetriou and the Walker brothers, Ben and Shane. Roosters assistants Craig Fitzgibbon and Adam O’Brien are considered NRL coaches in waiting but are wary of going after a job many view as a poisoned chalice.

Brennan struggled to get the best out of the players he recruited to the club. Tyrone Peachey appeared to want out of the glitter strip before he arrived, Bryce Cartwright hasn’t fulfilled his potential, Leiliani Latu hasn’t made any impact and Shannon Boyd hasn’t kicked on since leaving Canberra.

Brennan got the job partly on the strength of his relationship with Ash Taylor, but the halfback has struggled with the weight of expectation since re-signing. The club concedes it is at a crossroads and the coaching appointment is one they can’t afford to get wrong.
Our board better not fuck this up.. it's simple, sign Holbrook and we will have two excellent front rowers follow him here.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Had my question about Holbrook answered by Hooper on NRL 360.
Asked if the Holbrook to the Dogs legit or just mangers testing the waters. He was pretty coy but basically said we are in the hunt as are Titans... so yeah no new info which I was hoping for

Reactions: 086

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We have a Chairman who has put millions in...a lawyer who has been a Saints fan all his life and who will not see the Club suffer. IFf JH is going he will be behind something for sure to get the best available for the Club. So...Mr Barba...Benny was unstoppable for 4 months...he was a God...did junior coaching...schools..the full bit. His (Mrs) and kids loved it here...total freedom...she even said lifes so much better away from "the goldfish bowl and others". Then word got round that he was being tapped up...form dropped...head went down...when it was announced he was off mid contract...he was a different player ...moaning on field...not acknowledging fans etc...my sons have his autographed shirt framed....its not on their wall now...The guy we have now is just altogether class...not as flashybut a great guy. His family have bought into the lifestyle and it shows on the pitch. Lachlan Coote...what a guy....Sons have his shirt too...that IS on their wall. Naiquama settled in well too...great environment at the club. We will survive without Holbrook...but it would be better with him...
saints will always be a force whoever is around, just a strong club. I remember first watching them as a young lad in 2004 and being in awe of Sean Long. They are my favourite team over there, but I have grown a soft spot for Wakefield over the last two seasons because of Brough and Johnstone

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
So it would seem that we either sign Holbrook in the next week or so or miss out to the Titans. If that happened and when the club finally wakes up about Pay we would be stuck with a Barrett type option? If that happened these fuks don't deserve to be voted back in. Especially considering a Holbrook signature would maybe bring some quality pommie players with him. I just don't see how this is even a decision, sign him now!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If it was officially announced that Holbrook was going to coach the Bulldogs it wouldn't do Him St Helen's or Pay any good, it may not even do the Bulldogs any good either.
The best senario for all would be to announced Holbrook to the dogs at the end of our and St, Helen's season.
True but it would seem that St Helen's and Titans are waiting on an answer from him ASAP. If he skips the Titans job and tells St Helen's nothing then the speculation in the press would be worse then just coming out and announcing the signature to the Dogs. It may be best just to do it and go it over with, not as if our season can go any worse.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just posted this over on RedVee.

On a side note (which might swing in St Helens favour) is that as far as I can tell Justin Holbrook is still managed by the Orr Brothers (Pacific Sports Management). They currently do not have any players signed to the Bulldogs, however have had dealings with our club before (and still represent 5 or 6 ex Bulldogs players). That said, PSM do have several Titans players (past and present) signed to them, and also past coaches of Titans.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We have a Chairman who has put millions in...a lawyer who has been a Saints fan all his life and who will not see the Club suffer. IFf JH is going he will be behind something for sure to get the best available for the Club. So...Mr Barba...Benny was unstoppable for 4 months...he was a God...did junior coaching...schools..the full bit. His (Mrs) and kids loved it here...total freedom...she even said lifes so much better away from "the goldfish bowl and others". Then word got round that he was being tapped up...form dropped...head went down...when it was announced he was off mid contract...he was a different player ...moaning on field...not acknowledging fans etc...my sons have his autographed shirt framed....its not on their wall now...The guy we have now is just altogether class...not as flashybut a great guy. His family have bought into the lifestyle and it shows on the pitch. Lachlan Coote...what a guy....Sons have his shirt too...that IS on their wall. Naiquama settled in well too...great environment at the club. We will survive without Holbrook...but it would be better with him...
Just signed up over on RedVee....

Looking at your lineup this year, damn solid side! Coote is a gun and nothing but class for the Cowboys when he played for them. Naiqama is another solid player. Does he still have his awesome flattop hairdo? :D I do like how Saints acknowledge every single player, in every single grade. Our clubs a little behind like that, which is why we are trying to grow our Junior Bulldogs section here (thankfully with the help of some really decent members who know the juniors well).

Corey Thompson is one bloke I loved watching in ESL... top player and played awesome for us when he was at the Dogs. His strike rate at Widnes was insanely good!

Thommo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just signed up over on RedVee....

Looking at your lineup this year, damn solid side! Coote is a gun and nothing but class for the Cowboys when he played for them. Naiqama is another solid player. Does he still have his awesome flattop hairdo? :D I do like how Saints acknowledge every single player, in every single grade. Our clubs a little behind like that, which is why we are trying to grow our Junior Bulldogs section here (thankfully with the help of some really decent members who know the juniors well).

Corey Thompson is one bloke I loved watching in ESL... top player and played awesome for us when he was at the Dogs. His strike rate at Widnes was insanely good!
Welcome over mate...and yes Naiqama has a muppet haircut..To anyone else here who loves footy chat and a bit of banter come on over ...great to chew the fat....Sure SL isnt as strong across the board...but talking to a few NRL guys here past and present...4 or 5 of SL could hold up in the NRL.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just posted this over on RedVee.

On a side note (which might swing in St Helens favour) is that as far as I can tell Justin Holbrook is still managed by the Orr Brothers (Pacific Sports Management). They currently do not have any players signed to the Bulldogs, however have had dealings with our club before (and still represent 5 or 6 ex Bulldogs players). That said, PSM do have several Titans players (past and present) signed to them, and also past coaches of Titans.
Well if they've got Past GC Coaches on their books....surely they don't want another one dudded by recommending the Titans :grinning:

PS our record in that area "marginally" better.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, that wasn't the question, obviously they won because we got sanctioned. In 2001 the Chooks got monstered in the forwards, especially by Newcastle, 40 to 6 if I remember rightly, in the qualifying final. Stuart brought Pay in as assistant coach in 2002 to toughen up the forward pack and they won the comp (yes, I know we should have). Then Walters did the same at Catalans, got Pay in as defensive coach and they were fierce and a much feared defensive unit.

Go Dogs
Interesting, how pay has turned the soft Rosters and Catalans forward packs into feared defensive units, but has managed to make our forward pack the softest in the comp.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting, how pay has turned the soft Rosters and Catalans forward packs into feared defensive units, but has managed to make our forward pack the softest in the comp.
Perhaps it's more like "you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse".

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our forward pack near equal to every other roster.

NAPA
TOLMAN
CHN
RFM
JACKSON
OFA
FUAULOLO
TOOMAGA
JMK

ALSO RANS

SMITH
ELLIOTT
LICHAA

AVAILABLE

KALACHE
ROUMANOUS

There is NO reason why this forward pack can not be as dominate as at least 8 of the teams above us.

Our whole starting pack are experienced. There's no "real" youngsters amongst them. Inexperienced (as compared to other teams) there is only Renouf.

The ex-representative player coaching these guys should be getting better, more consistent performances out of them.

No excuses with our forward pack!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Welcome over mate...and yes Naiqama has a muppet haircut..To anyone else here who loves footy chat and a bit of banter come on over ...great to chew the fat....Sure SL isnt as strong across the board...but talking to a few NRL guys here past and present...4 or 5 of SL could hold up in the NRL.
In lots of ways, your game over there is more entertaining Thommo. Hardaker's try showed good football skills lol.

Thommo

Waterboy
Reaction score
In lots of ways, your game over there is more entertaining Thommo. Hardaker's try showed good football skills lol.
Maybe use a better example than that low life's fluke against the mighty Redvee....lol

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it would seem that we either sign Holbrook in the next week or so or miss out to the Titans. If that happened and when the club finally wakes up about Pay we would be stuck with a Barrett type option? If that happened these fuks don't deserve to be voted back in. Especially considering a Holbrook signature would maybe bring some quality pommie players with him. I just don't see how this is even a decision, sign him now!
I too will be highly pissed off if we miss out on this guy, literally grew up idolising the bulldogs, loves terry lamb and was a dogs coach for a while. Proven track record and perfect year to take over so he can make the recruiting decisions, I don’t not like Dean pay but I’m over his favouritism , why can we fans see Elliot and smith don’t deserve a run but he still chooses them ? He’s the type of coach who will sign 4 average players when he could buy 1 super star to build a team around. We need a coAch who can say anything other than “umm yeah I thought we did well in sets , just gotta improve , were a young side , “ then praise the **** who did nothing and drop CHN who would walk into any starting side in the nrl. He is the problem , fix it before we go further . The only other option after Holbrook is griffin and he seems to have an expiry date after. Few years by the looks of it

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Our forward pack near equal to every other roster.
NAPA
TOLMAN
CHN
RFM
JACKSON
OFA
FUAULOLO
TOOMAGA
JMK
ALSO RANS
SMITH
ELLIOTT
LICHAA
AVAILABLE
KALACHE
ROUMANOUS
There is NO reason why this forward pack can not be as dominate as at least 8 of the teams above us.
Our whole starting pack are experienced. There's no "real" youngsters amongst them. Inexperienced (as compared to other teams) there is only Renouf.
The ex-representative player coaching these guys should be getting better, more consistent performances out of them.
No excuses with our forward pack!
Experienced?
JMK is 23 (39 NRl Games)
Elliot is 24 (68 NRL games)
Fualalo is 24 (69 NRLGames)
Ogden is 23 (21 NRL Games)
ToOmaga is 24 (5 NRL Games)
CHN is 24 (59 NRL games)
Roumanous is 19 (0 NRl Games)
Kalache is 21 (0 NRL games)

Average age under 23 with 33 NRL games experience.

We only have 2 forwards 28 or over, the Chooks have 5 and Melbourne have 5. Even the not going so well Titans have 3 and they are similarly lacking in experience otherwise.

It really depends on what exactly you mean by "experienced" to me a forward with less than 2 full seasons at NRL is very inexperienced, call it 50 games. Between 50 and 100 games they are getting there and over 100 games is what I'd call "experienced" for a forward.

Admittedly the whole team. but still relevant;

Sorry, but I think you are way off the mark in thinking that our pack is remotely close to being considered experienced.

Go Dogs

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Experienced?
JMK is 23 (39 NRl Games)
Elliot is 24 (68 NRL games)
Fualalo is 24 (69 NRLGames)
Ogden is 23 (21 NRL Games)
ToOmaga is 24 (5 NRL Games)
CHN is 24 (59 NRL games)
Roumanous is 19 (0 NRl Games)
Kalache is 21 (0 NRL games)

Average age under 23 with 33 NRL games experience.

We only have 2 forwards 28 or over, the Chooks have 5 and Melbourne have 5. Even the not going so well Titans have 3 and they are similarly lacking in experience otherwise.

It really depends on what exactly you mean by "experienced" to me a forward with less than 2 full seasons at NRL is very inexperienced, call it 50 games. Between 50 and 100 games they are getting there and over 100 games is what I'd call "experienced" for a forward.

Admittedly the whole team. but still relevant;

Sorry, but I think you are way off the mark in thinking that our pack is remotely close to being considered experienced.

Go Dogs
Your stats and arguments are skewed by including two players yet to debut in Roumanos and Kalache who are yet to play this year, while excluding our 4 most experienced forwards Tolman, Jackson, Liccha and Napa.
I enjoy reading the majority of your posts and your positive attitude but if you're going to use stats in your argument at least make them legitimate.
Go Dogs