Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thommo if there’s an announcement anytime soon would you know how off it would be ?

Thommo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thommo if there’s an announcement anytime soon would you know how off it would be ?
Holbrook said he wants it sorting by a couple of weeks.....we are in danger of letting this balls up our season...we are 10 points clear..playing in Challenge Cup semi final in 11 days...and odds on to win GF....we dont want this derailing us....The Club needs it sorting asap one way or another...as soon as i hear i will post

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let the media earn their wage if they want to report it. Journos investigate things if they are true journos.

Side Note @Thommo just to let you (and anyone else at RedVee know) that the account name "Mr Invisible" over there is NOT me, but some clown using my username and being a smart arse. I do not have a RedVee account.

When / If I create an account there I'll announce on here what it is.

Normally when I sign up to league forums I introduce myself to the moderators/admins so there is mutual respect there. It also means if there are trouble makers they can be dealt with across multiple sites.
Arent you Ripley on the Redvee because it sure sounds like you..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ive put it on Redvee
Cheers mate :grinning:

How are St Helens normally with information? Are they a club that tends to deal with stuff quickly, or drag it on and on?

Haven't watched ESL for a while though as it's normally on at (what I refer to as stupid o'clock so like 2-6am).

From memory you had Ben Barba.. he's now a complete write off.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Arent you Ripley on the Redvee because it sure sounds like you..
Nope, I was going to sign up there the other day, before my NBN connection dropped the fibre on the WAN side.

Hence my bad dupe posting at the moment.

Will probably do it in a few days, if not just to say hi and connect.

At present I do not have an account on there.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nope, I was going to sign up there the other day, before my NBN connection dropped the fibre on the WAN side.

Hence my bad dupe posting at the moment.

Will probably do it in a few days, if not just to say hi and connect.

At present I do not have an account on there.
He has said he's a bulldog supporter.
Who ever he is he's embarrassing himself over there he's getting smashed.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Woah!!! I missed a lot. Shit is blowing up in here lol, unreal .
Same. And we didn't start it.

Grabs popcorn

Notice horsehead is rating his mates posts & vice versa.

Thommo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Cheers mate :grinning:

How are St Helens normally with information? Are they a club that tends to deal with stuff quickly, or drag it on and on?

Haven't watched ESL for a while though as it's normally on at (what I refer to as stupid o'clock so like 2-6am).

From memory you had Ben Barba.. he's now a complete write off.
We have a Chairman who has put millions in...a lawyer who has been a Saints fan all his life and who will not see the Club suffer. IFf JH is going he will be behind something for sure to get the best available for the Club. So...Mr Barba...Benny was unstoppable for 4 months...he was a God...did junior coaching...schools..the full bit. His (Mrs) and kids loved it here...total freedom...she even said lifes so much better away from "the goldfish bowl and others". Then word got round that he was being tapped up...form dropped...head went down...when it was announced he was off mid contract...he was a different player ...moaning on field...not acknowledging fans etc...my sons have his autographed shirt framed....its not on their wall now...The guy we have now is just altogether class...not as flashybut a great guy. His family have bought into the lifestyle and it shows on the pitch. Lachlan Coote...what a guy....Sons have his shirt too...that IS on their wall. Naiquama settled in well too...great environment at the club. We will survive without Holbrook...but it would be better with him...

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Holbrook said he wants it sorting by a couple of weeks.....we are in danger of letting this balls up our season...we are 10 points clear..playing in Challenge Cup semi final in 11 days...and odds on to win GF....we dont want this derailing us....The Club needs it sorting asap one way or another...as soon as i hear i will post
Any truth about Thompson coming over ?

Thommo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Any truth about Thompson coming over ?
Nothing concrete....hes under contract till end of 2020....if Holbrook goes to you then the odds will drop that Luke will join him sometime. He is one tough cookie...we lost Jammer to you guys and if Luke goes we will feel the same loss...and thats some wrap

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Gold Coast could miss out on their first choice to replace Garth Brennan as coach, with developments at Belmore threatening to dictate the availability of candidates.

Justin Holbrook is a leading contender to take over from axed coach Garth Brennan, but the St Helens mentor has also been linked to the top job at Canterbury, where incumbent Dean Pay is believed to be under pressure. Holbrook’s stocks are on the rise after steering the Saints to the top of the ladder, five wins clear of their nearest opponents.

Brennan has only just been sacked, the casualty of a review overseen by Titans head of performance and culture Mal Meninga. Already, Gold Coast powerbrokers have identified Holbrook as a preferred candidate, particularly if Queensland coach Kevin Walters can't be persuaded to backflip on his decision to rule himself out of contention.

St Helens have been trying to re-sign Holbrook but he has held off in the hope of landing an NRL gig. And the Titans may not be his only option. Dean Pay is contracted to Canterbury until the end of next year but is himself under pressure, although that has eased, at least temporarily, following upset wins over Cronulla and Newcastle. Still, his team sits only above the Titans on the ladder and anything less than a 12th-placed finish means they will finish lower than last year.

Having previously worked at Canterbury, Holbrook appears a natural fit at the "Family Club" and speculation about a move there intensified after Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill recently spent time in the UK. While Hill met briefly with Holbrook, the former Knights, Roosters and Panthers halfback was just one of several identities the Bulldogs boss caught up with during his travels.

“The purpose of my recent UK trip was around player recruitment,” Hill said. “In the past three or four months, a number of clubs had already been there. It’s well documented that a number of players over there have NRL club interest.”

Hill is understood to be interested in signing St Helens props Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley when they are off contract in 2021, but intrigue continues to surround Holbrook. It’s understood his preference would be to coach at Canterbury, given the Gold Coast is fast gaining a reputation for ending first-grade coaching careers.

But given the scarcity of opportunities in the NRL, it is undertsood Holbrook is hoping to get an indication of Canterbury’s intentions before fully committing himself to the Titans opportunity. Trent Barrett is another name that has been rumoured to be in the mix should Canterbury make a change.

Gold Coast chairman Dennis Watt said it was his preference to appoint someone with NRL head coaching experience, but few such candidates are available. Barrett, Tim Sheens, Anthony Griffin and Geoff Toovey fit the bill but there isn’t a standout choice. It also remains to be seen whether a seasoned coach would want to work alongside someone of Meninga’s stature and influence.

Other potential candidates include Jim Dymock, Jason Demetriou and the Walker brothers, Ben and Shane. Roosters assistants Craig Fitzgibbon and Adam O’Brien are considered NRL coaches in waiting but are wary of going after a job many view as a poisoned chalice.

Brennan struggled to get the best out of the players he recruited to the club. Tyrone Peachey appeared to want out of the glitter strip before he arrived, Bryce Cartwright hasn’t fulfilled his potential, Leiliani Latu hasn’t made any impact and Shannon Boyd hasn’t kicked on since leaving Canberra.

Brennan got the job partly on the strength of his relationship with Ash Taylor, but the halfback has struggled with the weight of expectation since re-signing. The club concedes it is at a crossroads and the coaching appointment is one they can’t afford to get wrong.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Gold Coast could miss out on their first choice to replace Garth Brennan as coach, with developments at Belmore threatening to dictate the availability of candidates.

Justin Holbrook is a leading contender to take over from axed coach Garth Brennan, but the St Helens mentor has also been linked to the top job at Canterbury, where incumbent Dean Pay is believed to be under pressure. Holbrook’s stocks are on the rise after steering the Saints to the top of the ladder, five wins clear of their nearest opponents.

Brennan has only just been sacked, the casualty of a review overseen by Titans head of performance and culture Mal Meninga. Already, Gold Coast powerbrokers have identified Holbrook as a preferred candidate, particularly if Queensland coach Kevin Walters can't be persuaded to backflip on his decision to rule himself out of contention.

St Helens have been trying to re-sign Holbrook but he has held off in the hope of landing an NRL gig. And the Titans may not be his only option. Dean Pay is contracted to Canterbury until the end of next year but is himself under pressure, although that has eased, at least temporarily, following upset wins over Cronulla and Newcastle. Still, his team sits only above the Titans on the ladder and anything less than a 12th-placed finish means they will finish lower than last year.

Having previously worked at Canterbury, Holbrook appears a natural fit at the "Family Club" and speculation about a move there intensified after Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill recently spent time in the UK. While Hill met briefly with Holbrook, the former Knights, Roosters and Panthers halfback was just one of several identities the Bulldogs boss caught up with during his travels.

“The purpose of my recent UK trip was around player recruitment,” Hill said. “In the past three or four months, a number of clubs had already been there. It’s well documented that a number of players over there have NRL club interest.”

Hill is understood to be interested in signing St Helens props Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley when they are off contract in 2021, but intrigue continues to surround Holbrook. It’s understood his preference would be to coach at Canterbury, given the Gold Coast is fast gaining a reputation for ending first-grade coaching careers.

But given the scarcity of opportunities in the NRL, it is undertsood Holbrook is hoping to get an indication of Canterbury’s intentions before fully committing himself to the Titans opportunity. Trent Barrett is another name that has been rumoured to be in the mix should Canterbury make a change.

Gold Coast chairman Dennis Watt said it was his preference to appoint someone with NRL head coaching experience, but few such candidates are available. Barrett, Tim Sheens, Anthony Griffin and Geoff Toovey fit the bill but there isn’t a standout choice. It also remains to be seen whether a seasoned coach would want to work alongside someone of Meninga’s stature and influence.

Other potential candidates include Jim Dymock, Jason Demetriou and the Walker brothers, Ben and Shane. Roosters assistants Craig Fitzgibbon and Adam O’Brien are considered NRL coaches in waiting but are wary of going after a job many view as a poisoned chalice.

Brennan struggled to get the best out of the players he recruited to the club. Tyrone Peachey appeared to want out of the glitter strip before he arrived, Bryce Cartwright hasn’t fulfilled his potential, Leiliani Latu hasn’t made any impact and Shannon Boyd hasn’t kicked on since leaving Canberra.

Brennan got the job partly on the strength of his relationship with Ash Taylor, but the halfback has struggled with the weight of expectation since re-signing. The club concedes it is at a crossroads and the coaching appointment is one they can’t afford to get wrong.
I'd be so pissed if we missed out on Holbrook and ended up with Barrett :rage:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Read that and saw the Barrett reference and wondered how long it’d take for TK to be triggered!

Not long at all...lol

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was officially announced that Holbrook was going to coach the Bulldogs it wouldn't do Him St Helen's or Pay any good, it may not even do the Bulldogs any good either.
The best senario for all would be to announced Holbrook to the dogs at the end of our and St, Helen's season.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Read that and saw the Barrett reference and wondered how long it’d take for TK to be triggered!

Not long at all...lol
Don't know what you read, but as far as I understood....they meant Barrett could be a candidate for Tits job, not Dogs.

" Trent Barrett is another name that has been rumoured to be in the mix should Canterbury make a change."

I think the change referred to us moving on Pay and getting Holbrook.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing concrete....hes under contract till end of 2020....if Holbrook goes to you then the odds will drop that Luke will join him sometime. He is one tough cookie...we lost Jammer to you guys and if Luke goes we will feel the same loss...and thats some wrap
Our club could give you Tolman, Fualalo and perhaps 1 or 2 others, in exchange for Thompson (no Joke) SL would suit them both.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And now we have you blokes at it on a pommie forum....settle down boys...

I take it you’ve done most of your reading on The Kennel forum. I assure you the Pay doubters are just a very vocal minority. Not representative of the majority of the fanbase. At Board level, confidence in Pay is high. I can assure you Holbrook will not be linking with us anytime soon.

Yours in league,

Mr I

Go Dogs
Did you really say The Kennel? Whaaaaaaaaat? Mate, nobody serious takes that place seriously.

If you knew your Dog sites, and I doubt you do so I'll tell you, you'd know there's a couple of private by invitation only sites where ex Board Members going back for decades inc some of the biggest Dog names post by name, and all current board members read.

And none of them read The Kennel, inc me.

And no I'm not one of the big names - but I did get an invite!!!!

You won't.
Whats happening with luke thompson? Will he come with Holbrook?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same. And we didn't start it.

Grabs popcorn

Notice horsehead is rating his mates posts & vice versa.
Yea lol, not surprised Kaz :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Horsehead :tongueclosed:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The vibe around here has changed lol, I mean what the hell.. I hardly come
On today and this happens !!