Opinion Football club AGM and elections

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Info for op's that aren't familiar with elections etc, it is highly likely that the incumbent board will be elected unopposed next year. Who is going to try to put an opposing ticket together that would have any support from voters? Other voting members on here as well as some others will understand that the majority of voters in the past will only change under extreme circumstances. The circumstances surrounding the last election were definitely extreme, I doubt whether there will be an opposing ticket and even if so, I doubt that the majority would be that unsettled to vote for another change.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Info for op's that aren't familiar with elections etc, it is highly likely that the incumbent board will be elected unopposed next year. Who is going to try to put an opposing ticket together that would have any support from voters? Other voting members on here as well as some others will understand that the majority of voters in the past will only change under extreme circumstances. The circumstances surrounding the last election were definitely extreme, I doubt whether there will be an opposing ticket and even if so, I doubt that the majority would be that unsettled to vote for another change.
That's what they said about trump

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely. The club is in safe hands.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Twin flogs !!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There could be a bit of a cloud over one current member and his eligibility to stand on a board........

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have some good form, why not run the club into the ground as well.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes the club is going from strength to strength on & off the field..

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Chris is pulling all the strings within the football department apparently like a grand puppet master.

Whatever the club does do not let him anywhere near the money box & cheque book for fuck sake!!

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy to leave things as they are,certainly better than what we had,& there is some hope on the horizon,as long as they make the hard decisions,sooner rather than later,the football department needs a complete overhaul,from trainers who have become part of the furniture,to employing someone to teach players to pass the ball,physio tony ayoub has done a marvellous job,we need more people like him.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't see a change to the current board at this election but people won't be so forgiving next time around.

You can only use the same excuses for so long and using the old board and salary cap in a few years time just won't wash.

There's a few very critical years coming up - coach, new players, sponsors etc. As someone who can vote I'll be watching very carefully.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think their safety depends on a few things:
1. Dean Pay / coach situation. If we miss out on Holbrook that could be a problem.
2. Lots of excuses, and little action. They can't sail into the next election blaming anyone but themselves.
3. As Spoonman84 said, one current director may find it difficult to stand given his personal circumstances.
4. If we do not secure another major sponsor.
5. If several board members are fed up with 2 current board members holding all the cards and calling most of the shots, if they get fed up and run a rival ticket, things might get interesting.

On that 5th point, Paul Dunn has run a rival ticket in the past, and I reckon if there was a mutiny of sorts because directors felt they aren't getting a fair say, it could leave the current setup with 2 main directors heading into the elections scrambling for a new team.

I do not believe anyone is safe.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think their safety depends on a few things:
1. Dean Pay / coach situation. If we miss out on Holbrook that could be a problem.
2. Lots of excuses, and little action. They can't sail into the next election blaming anyone but themselves.
3. As Spoonman84 said, one current director may find it difficult to stand given his personal circumstances.
4. If we do not secure another major sponsor.
5. If several board members are fed up with 2 current board members holding all the cards and calling most of the shots, if they get fed up and run a rival ticket, things might get interesting.

On that 5th point, Paul Dunn has run a rival ticket in the past, and I reckon if there was a mutiny of sorts because directors felt they aren't getting a fair say, it could leave the current setup with 2 main directors heading into the elections scrambling for a new team.

I do not believe anyone is safe.
My views (so not worth much);
1. Don’t see how the Board can be blamed if Holbrook chooses to stay at StHelens.
2. I’ve seen plenty of action, deadwood moved on, new alliances with feeder clubs, considering how limited the Cap space was a great signing for this year (DWZ) and a good one for next year (Stimson). Plus there’s plenty of time between November and elections to sign a couple of strike players.
3. No argument with that one, falling on the sword may well be called for.
4. Plenty of notice, more than enough time to sign someone up.
5. Won’t happen.

I’d add a 6. We need to win more games, as we saw last year string a few wins together and the mood changes dramatically.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think things will get messy again before they get better and the circus will continue around the club. The Andersons have been indecisive when it comes to Pay and player signings which has led to us missing out on several players and now maybe missing out on suitable replacements for Pay.

If they finally act decisively, hire the right coach, sign some decent players and secure a decent sponsor then they will get a lot of people off their backs.

But as Spoonman and Mr. Invisible have alluded to, it may all be in vain as the financial troubles of our key board member is of serious concern and may lead to him having to stand down. Which would turn the whole elections on its head and lead to another power struggle between those next in line...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think things will get messy again before they get better and the circus will continue around the club. The Andersons have been indecisive when it comes to Pay and player signings which has led to us missing out on several players and now maybe missing out on suitable replacements for Pay.

If they finally act decisively, hire the right coach, sign some decent players and secure a decent sponsor then they will get a lot of people off their backs.

But as Spoonman and Mr. Invisible have alluded to, it may all be in vain as the financial troubles of our key board member is of serious concern and may lead to him having to stand down. Which would turn the whole elections on its head and lead to another power struggle between those next in line...
I don’t see any indecisiveness, to remove the doubt for current and prospective players and stop the media circus the coach’s contract was extended. Problem, solution, done.

Teams miss out on signing players every day, ultimately it’s the player’s decision who they play with. We could offer the moon and not everyone would play for us. Can’t blame the Board for what is ultimately a player’s decision.

Ditto coach, it’s their call not ours.

There’s always a bit more water to flow under the bridge in regards to “financial matters”. With many possible scenarios, should wash out before elections. Either solved or mea culpa.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t see any indecisiveness, to remove the doubt for current and prospective players and stop the media circus the coach’s contract was extended. Problem, solution, done.

Teams miss out on signing players every day, ultimately it’s the player’s decision who they play with. We could offer the moon and not everyone would play for us. Can’t blame the Board for what is ultimately a player’s decision.

Ditto coach, it’s their call not ours.

There’s always a bit more water to flow under the bridge in regards to “financial matters”. With many possible scenarios, should wash out before elections. Either solved or mea culpa.

Go Dogs
The indecision comes in not firing Pay earlier when they were on the verge of doing so. They've gotten cold feet because of two close wins. Which shouldn't change anything. If they thought Pay wasn't the right coach two weeks ago, then he still isn't the right coach.

I'm pretty sure players and coaches can be recruited and persuaded to sign by clubs. Obviously our club isn't convincing potential recruits enough in negotiations. Maybe they're not offering enough money, selling the vision of the club or can come up with the necessary TPA's? The lack of clarity on a coach, lack of talent at the club and lack of other signings would be key factors. As would an unattractive style of play where we have the worst attack, worst defense and are coming 15th.

Who knows what will happen in regards to the board members financial situation? Either way it's concerning because they may have to step down which could lead to massive changes and may delay the rebuilding process even further as new people put their stamp on the club.

Last edited: