Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
On what basis is Holbrook a better coach than Pay to coach an NRL team?

If you said Toovey, Griffin, Henry are better coaches than Pay, than i would agree 100% with you.

Pay was unproven and to date, is a poor coach.

Brennan, Barrett are also poor coaches.

Do we need another unproven rookie as a coach or an experienced NRL coach?

Dont get the loads being blown over a coach who still has not coached a 1st grade NRL team. It's the same loads which were been blown about Pay before he started
Because it's different. Holbrook has a far superior resume and actually has senior level experience at managing a club and has demonstrated the ability to rebuild and improve a side while not looking like a fucking pancake and dishing out this old school footy garbage we heard with Pay.

Holbrook should've been the man to take over when Des left and I said it back then, what he has done in England has only made my support for him grow. If we're not getting someone with NRL experience then he is the best man for the job imo.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If they carnt get the recruiting right outside of the bulldogs what makes you think they will get it right within the bulldogs?
Sorry, I'm gunna need help with that one?

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On what basis is Holbrook a better coach than Pay to coach an NRL team?

If you said Toovey, Griffin, Henry are better coaches than Pay, than i would agree 100% with you.

Pay was unproven and to date, is a poor coach.

Brennan, Barrett are also poor coaches.

Do we need another unproven rookie as a coach or an experienced NRL coach?

Dont get the loads being blown over a coach who still has not coached a 1st grade NRL team. It's the same loads which were been blown about Pay before he started
Holbrook has coached FG in the ESL at a 70% win percentage while also winning Reserve Grade three times at our club. He's an intelligent coach whose teams play well in attack and will coach in the NRL somewhere next season.

Pay had no head coaching experience outside of Bush footy and NSW Under 20's. He has a 30% win rate in the NRL, and makes extremely questionable selections while coaching us to the worst attack and defense in the comp in 15th place... Whenever he's fired, no other NRL club will even consider giving him a head coaching job.

That's a massive difference in qualifications. How much worse a job could Holbrook or anyone else do than what Pay has done?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I can’t help but feel you are either delusional or just completely accept rubbish instead of genuinely wanting to compete
I accept the reality. We have a team composed mostly of good CC level players, either because they are still young and learning and/or they have reached their ceiling. As well as desperately needing experience, we are 2 or 3 strike players short of competing and changing coaches mid season would not alter that reality.

For evidence I give you the improvement in the last 2 games with the addition of just one strike player in DWZ. Whom many wouldn't have even rated as a strike player before he left Penrith. If the same coaching staff can achieve that with just one strike player whilst our only other strike player (Foran) was out injured, imagine what could be achieved with another 2 strike players.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters? Why are you even talking about the Roosters?
OK, I already helped you out once already, so this is it for today. You'll have to wait until tomorrow for more help understanding.

Pay was the forwards coach for the Chooks in 2002, the year they won the premiership.
I could also add that in 2008 he was assistant coach (defense) at Catalans, who had the reputation for having the most ferocious forward pack.
Of course please feel to check the above.

Go Dogs

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I already helped you out once already, so this is it for today. You'll have to wait until tomorrow for more help understanding.

Pay was the forwards coach for the Chooks in 2002, the year they won the premiership.
I could also add that in 2008 he was assistant coach (defense) at Catalans, who had the reputation for having the most ferocious forward pack.

Go Dogs
You mean 2002 when the dogs won something like 15 in a row then got docked all there points... the dogs were going to win it in that year. The roosters won by default

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You mean 2002 when the dogs won something like 15 in a row then got docked all there points... the dogs were going to win it in that year. The roosters won by default
Yes, I still feel the pain.

Go Dogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Are we really trying to credit Dean pay for something the roosters did 17 years ago with a team stacked with more stars then they have now? Wtf...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Are we really trying to credit Dean pay for something the roosters did 17 years ago with a team stacked with more stars then they have now? Wtf...
No of course not, I just discrediting Notso for only selectively quoting the facts that go along with his preconceptions whilst ignoring the facts that don't.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Go Dogs
2002? So that was under Ricky Stuart once again? Lol wow.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I accept the reality. We have a team composed mostly of good CC level players, either because they are still young and learning and/or they have reached their ceiling. As well as desperately needing experience, we are 2 or 3 strike players short of competing and changing coaches mid season would not alter that reality.

For evidence I give you the improvement in the last 2 games with the addition of just one strike player in DWZ. Whom many wouldn't have even rated as a strike player before he left Penrith. If the same coaching staff can achieve that with just one strike player whilst our only other strike player (Foran) was out injured, imagine what could be achieved with another 2 strike players.

Go Dogs
I agree DWZ has been playing out of his skin and added many important facets to our team and whose influence will only continue to grow, I personally do not see these things being the result of good coaching/coaches, structured plays etc but rather from his own honor, belief and natural talent. Ie running the ball back with intent, support play, broken play running...
Too early to tell either way what influence our coaching department have on his game.
IMO

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for asking.
Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn't it.

Go Dogs
It's ok to be wrong sometimes.
I tried to stay away from any discussion u had your 2 cents in, in saying that you do have some very valid points but some, it seems to me you're just tryin to not be proven wrong and it's ruining the good points you come with.

Anyway glad you're well, i had concern there for a second.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well atleast that was entertaining reading the last few pages, thanks guys lol.