Daily Telegraph/Rothfield KIA gone

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For salary cap purposes I think its more beneficial to have locally owned sponsors you can trust then to place a pure monetary value it
Kia operates in Australia mate, being locally owned may or may not make a difference.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Kia operates in Australia mate, being locally owned may or may not make a difference.
The bigger the company the less they can be trusted with sensitive information thats all I am going to say

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bigger the company the less they can be trusted with sensitive information thats all I am going to say
The bigger the company the less they care about all these info. As long as they get exposure and no negative impact to their brand.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Maybe we should just approach NRMA then

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just think this is a heavy knock for the club, we don't have the big hitters on board that the Rooster have. Also hurts seeing a sponsor go to a rival club.
Especially the broncos.
With the roster they have, they are arguably more disappointing than we are.
I look forward even more now to the days when we return to powerhouse status as the sponsors who walked regret it.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If they have jumped ship to the Broncos it's pretty clear that they want more exposure then we can give them.
100%

Broncos offer twice the membership numbers that we do. Average home crowd attendances are also double that of ours. More people tune into their games on TV. There is fuck all other professional sporting teams in Brisbane and the Broncos well and truly dominate that market. It’s a logical business decision on Kia’s behalf.

But nah let’s blame the board for gross mismanagement of sponsors.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In spite of them being a huge company, how did it benefit the club? It's not like we have marquee players and TPAs because of connection with KIA. And we don't all of a sudden have a huge fanbase in South Korea as a result...
It's a loss losing a sponsor but as long as someone else comes in and foots the bill, then it won't change too much.
The bigger concern is the lack of TPAs lined up by the club to top up offers to players which leaves us way behind when trying to compete with the big boys.
Worth keeping in mind that each player is entitled to $100k worth of cars every season. So although it isn't a TPA it is outside the Cap, so having a car company (or dealer) as a sponsor is a big advantage.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
100%
Broncos offer twice the membership numbers that we do. Average home crowd attendances are also double that of ours. More people tune into their games on TV. There is fuck all other professional sporting teams in Brisbane and the Broncos well and truly dominate that market. It’s a logical business decision on Kia’s behalf.
Plus the Donkeys are guaranteed a number of FTA TV games, that we aren't.

Go Dogs

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Fuck em. Everthing looks shit with that kia logo.
I know its good cash and bla bla bla....
We are blue and white. No fuckin red ever again
I agree. We don't need their money either... the money the club makes from the Leagues club (the Football clubs financial backbone) is the through the roof!

Wahesh

Reaction score
I’d take NRMA, suits the jersey better
I don't think that's what's happening, what they're about it the NRMA leaving Brisbane and Kia taking over them. This poses 2 interesting questions:
  1. Can a company like Kia break a contract mid-term?
  2. Why would NRMA leave the Broncos?
Would I have all the answers to these questions? Of course not, so... over to @Mr Invisible for further analysis.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's what's happening, what they're about it the NRMA leaving Brisbane and Kia taking over them. This poses 2 interesting questions:
Would I have all the answers to these questions? Of course not, so... over to @Mr Invisible for further analysis.
KIA signed a 3 year deal with the Bulldogs that expires at the end of this season.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
100%

I doubt KIA would have to pay that much more at the Broncos to get a lot more exposure. I don’t think Mad Monday or the Napa vids helped much either.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt we're getting many free to air games next season nor do we have well known players to promote their product so I can completely understand their decision.

Obviously it's a big loss but not the end of the world, we'll probably be without a major sponsor until we see a turnaround in form.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's not a loss... they were never going to renew anyway, and there were whispers going back even before the new board came in that they would not be renewing the deal.

For KIA they just weren't getting enough from it.

KIA signed a 3 year deal with the Bulldogs that expires at the end of this season.
EXACTLY ... It's another nothing story from Sloshedfield trying to generate faux controversy.

1. They aren't breaking a mid term contract, they weren't signed on after this year.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2016/10/31/new-major-sponsor-for-bulldogs/
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs are pleased to announce that Kia Motors Australia have signed as major sponsor for the next three years (2017-2019).

2. NRMA are pissed off because Youi (owned by major competitor) have become an NRL major partner. As such there's a brand conflict between NRMA on a jersey, and ads for Youi throughout the game. NRMA voiced it a while ago and were pissed off about Magic Round being sponsored by Youi., and demanded Broncos not take part in any of the promo stuff leading up to it.

I'm hardly suprised they've pulled out and doubt they will sponsor another NRL club.

Dogs should start talking to Hyundai. Would be a perfect fit.

Wahesh

Reaction score
It's not a loss... they were never going to renew anyway, and there were whispers going back even before the new board came in that they would not be renewing the deal.

For KIA they just weren't getting enough from it.

EXACTLY ... It's another nothing story from Sloshedfield trying to generate faux controversy.

1. They aren't breaking a mid term contract, they weren't signed on after this year.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2016/10/31/new-major-sponsor-for-bulldogs/
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs are pleased to announce that Kia Motors Australia have signed as major sponsor for the next three years (2017-2019).

2. NRMA are pissed off because Youi (owned by major competitor) have become an NRL major partner. As such there's a brand conflict between NRMA on a jersey, and ads for Youi throughout the game. NRMA voiced it a while ago and were pissed off about Magic Round being sponsored by Youi., and demanded Broncos not take part in any of the promo stuff leading up to it.

I'm hardly suprised they've pulled out and doubt they will sponsor another NRL club.

Dogs should start talking to Hyundai. Would be a perfect fit.
Like... except for the Hyundai bit. I'd be happier to be sponsored by Emirates, Etihad, Samsung, even Toyota.

While we're on topic...

https://www.nssmag.com/en/sports/14905/iconic-sponsor

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember the Super League referees were sponsored by PlayStation...

upload_2019-7-15_14-9-54.jpeg