Opinion The Momentum Swing

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
In the last 2 games, something bizarre has happened. The Sharks and Knights seemed to self implode in key moments of the game to allow us to get away with the win.

To be clear, our energy and determination to stay in the game for 80 minutes have allowed us to take advantage of 2 gifts from the footy gods. It is hard to explain the farcical mistakes these teams have made, that allowed us to get out of jail and pull upset victories.

Something shifted in our team. Our inexperience was a heavy burden on our ability to execute. Our energy levels won us games, but it is difficult to rely on high energy against quality sides. I believe that our super low confidence was consistently killing our execution and this was happening even in the last 2 games we have won.

However, I want to believe a turning point has occurred. A combination of improved attitude and opposition teams tripping over their laces has given us the confidence to go into games with a lot more belief in our ability to compete for 80 mins and win.

We deserved a break. We deserved refs given us 50/50 calls as well. It all happened in the last 2 games. It is bizarre. I really think it must be the footy gods saying, ok, its time to let the dogs out of hell. LOL

Our passing behind players remains a sore point for me. It doubles our error rate, kills our momentum and the players get frustrated with each other. I expect Pay will highlight this habit because it was a clear weakness that repeated what seemed like 4 - 5 times. One thing I know about passing is that you get much more latitude floating the pass in front than you do behind. The player can speed up, their hands can reach out quite a bit. But asking a player to suddenly slow their momentum and move their hands behind them while their momentum is in the forward motion is so much harder and kills the attacking play dead in its tracks.

I am of the view that teams are not going to be complacent with us anymore and we may be up for harder games. We are no longer the easy beats. Footy gods are not likely to give us a gravy train. So while we may continue to lose much more than we win, I think our team has now hit a new level of self-belief that is going to accelerate the rebuild phase for the rest of the season.

We were in a dark rut for a while there and I hope we string another 2 games where we compete for 80 mins with a lower error rate. If we do, we may well find ourselves building a momentum we have been waiting for over 2 seasons. We are the least experienced team in the comp with an inexperienced coach, but I am seeing Dog DNA starting to show up.

The formula I am seeing: High Energy + High Belief + Low Error Rate + Removed losing stigma = A team that will build more quality experience in fewer games! I don't believe time makes you better, I believe what you do in time does. Hence, a better attitude, more self-belief and the grit and determination to stay focused - all this will make your pathway to success happen much faster. Fuck the long-term rebuild - that is a lazy and losing attitude when you make that the excuse. We can bounce back like we did in 2009.

This post may come back to haunt me - but I sure hope it doesn't! :grinning:

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Refs actually treating us fairly bloody helps.
Really ........ I counted 7 x 50/50 calls last night that went against us and only 3 for us. The countless no calls when Newcastle had markers on both sides of the ruck, drove me crazy. The crusher tackle that plainly wasn’t.

In comparison the sin binning was a must make call, it was simply too obvious to let slide. Cecchin new if he let that one pass he would be lambasted due to the “protect the head” push going on currently. He simply had no choice.

Go Dogs

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really ........ I counted 7 x 50/50 calls last night that went against us and only 3 for us. The countless no calls when Newcastle had markers on both sides of the ruck, drove me crazy. The crusher tackle that plainly wasn’t.

In comparison the sin binning was a must make call, it was simply too obvious to let slide. Cecchin new if he let that one pass he would be lambasted due to the “protect the head” push going on currently. He simply had no choice.

Go Dogs
I am suprised the sin bin happened to be honest. Any other instance would have been "put on report".

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I tend to agree regarding the refs on Friday night
We copped the rough end of the stick for sure
Cecchin was an absolute disgrace,how is he allowed to maintain a job
So many times the second ref would see something and not act on it or
just look across to cecchin
Complete joke

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the last 2 games, something bizarre has happened. The Sharks and Knights seemed to self implode in key moments of the game to allow us to get away with the win.

To be clear, our energy and determination to stay in the game for 80 minutes have allowed us to take advantage of 2 gifts from the footy gods. It is hard to explain the farcical mistakes these teams have made, that allowed us to get out of jail and pull upset victories.

Something shifted in our team. Our inexperience was a heavy burden on our ability to execute. Our energy levels won us games, but it is difficult to rely on high energy against quality sides. I believe that our super low confidence was consistently killing our execution and this was happening even in the last 2 games we have won.

However, I want to believe a turning point has occurred. A combination of improved attitude and opposition teams tripping over their laces has given us the confidence to go into games with a lot more belief in our ability to compete for 80 mins and win.

We deserved a break. We deserved refs given us 50/50 calls as well. It all happened in the last 2 games. It is bizarre. I really think it must be the footy gods saying, ok, its time to let the dogs out of hell. LOL

Our passing behind players remains a sore point for me. It doubles our error rate, kills our momentum and the players get frustrated with each other. I expect Pay will highlight this habit because it was a clear weakness that repeated what seemed like 4 - 5 times. One thing I know about passing is that you get much more latitude floating the pass in front than you do behind. The player can speed up, their hands can reach out quite a bit. But asking a player to suddenly slow their momentum and move their hands behind them while their momentum is in the forward motion is so much harder and kills the attacking play dead in its tracks.

I am of the view that teams are not going to be complacent with us anymore and we may be up for harder games. We are no longer the easy beats. Footy gods are not likely to give us a gravy train. So while we may continue to lose much more than we win, I think our team has now hit a new level of self-belief that is going to accelerate the rebuild phase for the rest of the season.

We were in a dark rut for a while there and I hope we string another 2 games where we compete for 80 mins with a lower error rate. If we do, we may well find ourselves building a momentum we have been waiting for over 2 seasons. We are the least experienced team in the comp with an inexperienced coach, but I am seeing Dog DNA starting to show up.

The formula I am seeing: High Energy + High Belief + Low Error Rate + Removed losing stigma = A team that will build more quality experience in fewer games! I don't believe time makes you better, I believe what you do in time does. Hence, a better attitude, more self-belief and the grit and determination to stay focused - all this will make your pathway to success happen much faster. Fuck the long-term rebuild - that is a lazy and losing attitude when you make that the excuse. We can bounce back like we did in 2009.

This post may come back to haunt me - but I sure hope it doesn't! :grinning:
Very honest and realistic summary, it was great to see the the lads really putting in but even two swallows don't make a summer. Its getting late in the season and if the lads were only putting in to get a new contract, we may still jag a few more wins before the end of the season and avoid the spoon.
However as optimistic as we all want to be its going to be a long hard road back to the top. The 2 top clubs are each supported by a TV Network, which proves that we have a corrupt competition..
Just hope

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree regarding the refs on Friday night
We copped the rough end of the stick for sure
Cecchin was an absolute disgrace,how is allowed to maintain a job
So many times the second ref would see something and not act on it or
just look across to cecchin
Complete joke
And yet Newcastle mates of mine are adamant they lost primarily due to shit reffing...the shepherd call, the sin bin, the bunker stuff up on smiths try

It seems the refs are trying to make everyone happy, which of course is impossible

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And yet Newcastle mates of mine are adamant they lost primarily due to shit reffing...the shepherd call, the sin bin, the bunker stuff up on smiths try

It seems the refs are trying to make everyone happy, which of course is impossible
Everybody is entitled to an opinion of coarse
It’s a shame that both channel 9 and Fox commentary hardly ever call out the refs for their blunders
Anasta is ok,makes sly comments occasionally

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am suprised the sin bin happened to be honest. Any other instance would have been "put on report".
New rules from the NRL. Late hits are now a sin bin offence.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Two wins in a row, happy with that.. another win or 2 should keep us from getting the spoon this year.

I started looking ahead to 2020 months ago, let’s hope we avoid the spoon this year. Get a better coach for next and go again. Because of our position and how everything has played out, it’s been rather disappointing.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The negative people on here keep talking about the dreaded spoon.
The positive people see us as being just three wins from the top eight.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The negative people on here keep talking about the dreaded spoon.
The positive people see us as being just three wins from the top eight.
Its called being realists not negative

And thats not positive thinking, its called being a dreamer. Lol at making the semis

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Our passing game has improved, our confidence is solidifying but we also have continued to have lady luck smile down on us by gifting us teams that have not been in top form. Then playing the Eels, they were in form, but not when they played us! So I can see we are making it hard for teams to get back their form or keep the form they have. Feeling great about the platform the coach and players have established - let's hope we continue to do that for the rest of the year and next year, we play like a top 8 team all year, starting from the opening rounds!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Slutton and cummins are nowhere to be seen. That helps
Do you think they were removed from our games because the Club showed some damning statistics? I recall ref stats in the media and kennel that was exposing patterns of bias, showing these refs as deadset against us.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think they were removed from our games because the Club showed some damning statistics? I recall ref stats in the media and kennel that was exposing patterns of bias, showing these refs as deadset against us.
That new women ref is good at her job - chirps at the players a lot but doesn't nit-pick or interfere with the game. Happy to have her pocket-reffing, or reffing, our games anytime.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No I think we just became irrelevant to their agenda.. We seemed to be losing without their help anyway ...(we had okenbor dropping balls like his life depended on it)