Opinion So Where Does This Leave Lachlan Lewis?

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think centre next to Okunbor. Could prove a good combo

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah mate I also went to Canterbury Boys
You can tell your dad that the school hasn’t changed at all,
The old footy field down the back,just happen to drive past during the week.
Cheers
I wish I could tell him but he passed 30th August last year.
I live in Melbourne so only been to a couple of games this season but bought a ticket for him both times.
I'm a bit older than you, my very first live game was the 1976 prelim final against Manly at the SCG. Dad bought me one of those rolled up paper streamers you threw out when the team ran on....haha old school.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too sure why people think Lock is so 'optimistic', he's tough enough, I don't know his exact weight/size but doesn't look much smaller than Radley or Murray.
I think lock is pretty much his only chance to live up to the (past) hype. Never say never but very likely he will never be a gun half and really don't think centre is his position. I'd say if another club picked him up it would be in a lock/forward/utility capacity.

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could tell him but he passed 30th August last year.
I live in Melbourne so only been to a couple of games this season but bought a ticket for him both times.
I'm a bit older than you, my very first live game was the 1976 prelim final against Manly at the SCG. Dad bought me one of those rolled up paper streamers you threw out when the team ran on....haha old school.
I’m really sorry to hear about your dad mate,
My condolences to you and the family
First games were back in 1980,great year

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger is a genuine half.

Lewis has a poor kicking game and never looks like wanting to take control. I’m not convinced he is a half, I reckon he needs put on 5-6 kGs and play lock.
U guys have no idea....when the game is on the line Lewis produces the goods, can do the miracle play, miracle field goal.....until such times that cogger can produce when the game is on the line ...he will only play second fiddle to.lewis

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not too sure why people think Lock is so 'optimistic', he's tough enough, I don't know his exact weight/size but doesn't look much smaller than Radley or Murray.
I think lock is pretty much his only chance to live up to the (past) hype. Never say never but very likely he will ever be a gun half and really don't think centre is his position. I'd say if another club picked him up it would be in a lock/forward/utility capacity.
Radley and Murray are much stronger runners of the ball compared to Lewis though. I know he will be more of a ball playing lock but he will still need to run the ball. At the minute his running game is the weakest element and he needs to improve it no matter what position he plays.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree but in my initial post it was all about him developing his running game. I said he needs to take the line on and really develop a running game, this is only hope to be a great player.

Malla

Reaction score
Lewis' future should be at lock.

Get Elliot out of the squad ASAP and stop starting Chris Smith.

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’d have him in first grade at centre when he is fit. Montoya tried hard but us one of the worst players in the NRL. Lewis can easily improve that position for us.
He would be the slowest Centre in the NRL.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lewis has no running game and you ***** want to pit him at lock and centre lol.

He is reggies back up half until good enough to oust our current reserve grade standard halves in first grade.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lewis was ball running most of the games he played last year (across both grades).

I see him like a Wighton/Walker/Peachey style player.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I said it before ill say it again. Centres. Put his defence to good use. He doesnt need to worry about steering the team from there, i feel cogger has that naturally. Put Lewis next to Montoya, move montoya to the wing (he has improved enough, i dont see him rushing out like a headless chook anymore). Keep Cogger/Foran as our halves, cogger is really building himself up quite well imo.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis is solid in defence and mobile.
Maybe he is a lock.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still a back up for Foran and maybe his eventual replacement, don't write him off yet, was all the talk at the end of last year.
How did we hammer the Dragons at Kogarah?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m really sorry to hear about your dad mate,
My condolences to you and the family
First games were back in 1980,great year
Thanks mate.
He was two months short of 80, he had a full and interesting life with many more good times than bad, a successful career and much loved by his family friends and colleagues.

Perhaps his only failing was that only one of his two sons is a dogs supporter, my brother is Easts.

Yes what a great year 1980, I Remember jumping up like I was on springs when Steve Gearin scored that try!!!

Last edited:

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All depends on how Coggar progresses.

Wakeham has a spot locked in once Foran departs and both Lewis and Coggar have a bit to learn....

At this stage Lewis as a utility seems to be the best option for him though it looks like JMK has that spot locked in.

Tough times for the kid though if he can bulk up and model his game around Travis Norton then he may get a real look in.
Agree with your thoughts on Wakeham. He will be promised a spot once Foran leaves. In the meantime he can develop his game and step up when an injury occurs.
I think Lewis will partner Wakeham eventually.
Next year cogger and Foran will make up the halves by the looks of it

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would live to see him at lock one day. But that would mean abandoning the “lock is an extra forward” strategy that bulldogs coaches seem to love so much.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've now won 2 in a row with a BYE squashed in-between. We're winning games with our 3rd and 4th/5th choice halves out there.

Obviously when Foran is "fit" he'll be brought back in straight away, but where does this leave Lachlan Lewis? This kid was firing last year and quickly was becoming our most important player. We won 4/5 games towards the back end of the season, and the one we did lose in that 5 string of games was the won Lewis was out injured.

There's no denying he has an aura about him and that he belongs somewhere in the NRL 17-man lineup, but the question is where?

I think we did him wrong this year giving him the number 7 jersey. Foran was no help at all in the first few games and all the responsibility was left to Lewis who'd played 9 NRL games at that point to steer a bus that had no engine. Of course he was going to fail.

The situation with the halves in our squad:

Cogger: Getting better with every game and has made me eat humble pie. I like him.
Wakeham: Has a bright future, but can't be expected to be consistent week in and out at his age.
Foran: Is made of glass. Has done some good things this year, but isn't reliable enough to last 80min every week. Biggest waste of money, sorry.
Lewis: If we don't make a decision soon on where he belongs, he'll get snapped up quickly from most NRL teams now. I think he's still a big part of our future, but I worry with Pay's indecisiveness Lewis will be left with no choice soon.

What's everyone's thoughts?
Wakeham,at Hooker has a good passing game and kicking game ,cogger &foran halves,Lewis at lock very good defensively,and can provide something for us in attack,or can cover a lot of positions of the bench.whatever way u look at it provides us with a lot of options