Opinion So Where Does This Leave Lachlan Lewis?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We've now won 2 in a row with a BYE squashed in-between. We're winning games with our 3rd and 4th/5th choice halves out there.

Obviously when Foran is "fit" he'll be brought back in straight away, but where does this leave Lachlan Lewis? This kid was firing last year and quickly was becoming our most important player. We won 4/5 games towards the back end of the season, and the one we did lose in that 5 string of games was the won Lewis was out injured.

There's no denying he has an aura about him and that he belongs somewhere in the NRL 17-man lineup, but the question is where?

I think we did him wrong this year giving him the number 7 jersey. Foran was no help at all in the first few games and all the responsibility was left to Lewis who'd played 9 NRL games at that point to steer a bus that had no engine. Of course he was going to fail.

The situation with the halves in our squad:

Cogger: Getting better with every game and has made me eat humble pie. I like him.
Wakeham: Has a bright future, but can't be expected to be consistent week in and out at his age.
Foran: Is made of glass. Has done some good things this year, but isn't reliable enough to last 80min every week. Biggest waste of money, sorry.
Lewis: If we don't make a decision soon on where he belongs, he'll get snapped up quickly from most NRL teams now. I think he's still a big part of our future, but I worry with Pay's indecisiveness Lewis will be left with no choice soon.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
First off he's got to get his ankle right it was only supposed to be a 2 week injury and its blown out to a month.

Considering his injury I can't see him playing NRL again this year unless there is a injury and with Foran that's always a big possibility.

A halves combo of Wakeham and Lewis in reggies should be pretty exciting to watch.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off he's got to get his ankle right it was only supposed to be a 2 week injury and its blown out to a month.

Considering his injury I can't see him playing NRL again this year unless there is a injury and with Foran that's always a big possibility.

A halves combo of Wakeham and Lewis in reggies should be pretty exciting to watch.
I’m going to watch the reserve team play Newton at Henson in 2 weeks time
Mainly for the beer festival,I’ll try to pass on a review on how Lewis and Wakeham play that afternoon
Depending on how good the beers are.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m going to watch the reserve team play Newton at Henson in 2 weeks time
Mainly for the beer festival,I’ll try to pass on a review on how Lewis and Wakeham play that afternoon
Depending how good the beers are.
Good on you Dogggy it sounds like a good day!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All depends on how Coggar progresses.

Wakeham has a spot locked in once Foran departs and both Lewis and Coggar have a bit to learn....

At this stage Lewis as a utility seems to be the best option for him though it looks like JMK has that spot locked in.

Tough times for the kid though if he can bulk up and model his game around Travis Norton then he may get a real look in.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis has shown nothing all year. He is inconsistent. His kicking game is sub par.

Great defender no doubt. And has lots of guts and determination. But no way is he a starting first grade half. Lacks a lot of skill in that department.

He isn’t a small guy. Maybe bulk him up and play him in the back row? But I don’t see a long term future at the halves in this club.

I always rated cogger and he had played well every chance this year. No way is he a gun halfback. But he is a controlling one. Has run well when he has. Very good short and long kicking game (always feel his kicks are a threat whether it is getting a repeat set or launching a bomb).

No way cogger gets dropped. Foran walks back in when fit. And there is no space on the bench for Lewis.

So he either bides his time in Reggies or he leaves :sweatsmile: but to me either way it won’t be a big loss.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lewis has shown nothing all year. He is inconsistent. His kicking game is sub par.

Great defender no doubt. And has lots of guts and determination. But no way is he a starting first grade half. Lacks a lot of skill in that department.

He isn’t a small guy. Maybe bulk him up and play him in the back row? But I don’t see a long term future at the halves in this club.

I always rated cogger and he had played well every chance this year. No way is he a gun halfback. But he is a controlling one. Has run well when he has. Very good short and long kicking game (always feel his kicks are a threat whether it is getting a repeat set or launching a bomb).

No way cogger gets dropped. Foran walks back in when fit. And there is no space on the bench for Lewis.

So he either bides his time in Reggies or he leaves :sweatsmile: but to me either way it won’t be a big loss.
He needs to try and pull off a Matterson otherwise I doubt he will see firstgrade again. Cogger looks more like a halfback, Foran is more creative and Wakeham looks silky smooth with the ball in hand....Lewis has dropped behind all 3.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I change my mind, he’d be a good lock. 5 more kilos

I actually want Wakeham and cogger to be our future halves. Let them mature together.

Club just needs to go after a gun centre, gun hooker, and mad prop.

DWZ is my fullback moving forward.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A squad player only for mine. If he’s happy to stick around in the capacity, fine, but we’re not going to move ahead as a team with him as a starting half. He’d be 17-25 player in my top 30 and needs to be paid in the range only

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran adds alot to the team when he is on the park, the problem is keeping him on there.

In regards to the others I think Lewis has dropped behind them.

I don't see what alot of other do in Cogger, I guess time will tell. My thinking is he shows some promise and that excites some fans because things have been so dire in the past years.

With Wakeham I am impressed in the limited game time I've seen however I'm wary of putting too much expectations on him, I hope he's also not thrown in the deep end too early.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once we clear the spoon and if Lewis is fully fit I would like to see him in a lock capacity, would add some (a little) creativity if he develops his running game.
Needs to really take the line on, it's up to him, if he can't do that, well he's way behind the other three so the writing will be on the wall for him.

I think if he could maybe develop to be our own Jake T, Victor Radley, Cam Murray kinda player, it wouldn't be impossible.

Durie1986

Banned
Reaction score
I’d have him in first grade at centre when he is fit. Montoya tried hard but us one of the worst players in the NRL. Lewis can easily improve that position for us.

Durie1986

Banned
Reaction score
Foran adds alot to the team when he is on the park, the problem is keeping him on there.

In regards to the others I think Lewis has dropped behind them.

I don't see what alot of other do in Cogger, I guess time will tell. My thinking is he shows some promise and that excites some fans because things have been so dire in the past years.

With Wakeham I am impressed in the limited game time I've seen however I'm wary of putting too much expectations on him, I hope he's also not thrown in the deep end too early.
Cogger is a very good halfback and game manager. The fact he is managing games so well with a forward pack that gets dominated every week is incredible really. Also consider he has played 30 NRL games. He is going to be a super Number 7 for us for years to come

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis will he in reserves unless there are injuries in the halves.
People saying he should play lock? Not now Lewis at lock makes a small pack even smaller.
In the centres in front of Holland & Montoya? I haven't seen Lewis play centre, he may go ok but I don’t see him forcing his way in at centre either.

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it wasn’t that far back
How old do you think I am,please
Lol
It was in the early eighties,the weather was horrible and pretty sure was played on a Saturday afternoon
1982 to be exact,
Strange that people could park their cars inside the ground at one end.

Last edited: