Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With how much Pay has alienated half of the playing group and pissed them off completely, it makes no sense to keep him on in any capacity as that animosity and lack of respect from player and coach will carry on into next season.

What's so hard about firing a completely incompetent coach who has a horrible record, can't communicate with players and has had nearly two years on the job?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I can't see any situation working with Pay still near the coaching unless he agrees to be assistant. Maybe he could be a forwards coach and get back to what he knows in regards to running hard and tackling hard?

For the life of me I could not see Hoolbrook moving from his current set up to be an assistant to a struggling Coach of a wooden spoon team for a year.

The other reason I can't see the club doing it would be that they would be affectively conceding next year aswell instead of actually trying to improve and coming better then last again. No way would the fan base allow us to just sit there and struggle while Hoolbrook assistant coaches.
How much respect and authority would he have from the team though. He would be a running joke with them you'd imagine...in 2020, last years Head Coach who didn't have a clue to this years forwards coach who doesn't have a clue. The new coach wouldn't want him around and definately needs a clean slate to fix this last place mess.

It's unworkable for the club with Pay in any coaching position IMO and embarrassing for him as well.

Better for him to go back to Ricky or Bellamy then head to UK...but in respect to Martin, not Leeds!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holbrook to Dogs, Pay to Titans

Makes perfect sense...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With how much Pay has alienated half of the playing group and pissed them off completely, it makes no sense to keep him on in any capacity as that animosity and lack of respect from player and coach will carry on into next season.

What's so hard about firing a completely incompetent coach who has a horrible record, can't communicate with players and has had nearly two years on the job?
Spot on! He has massive problem communicating with people so how long will it be before he has similar problems with Holbrook or Noddy?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Have we signed Holbrook yet ffs! Make him coach stop Fucking about dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What was Pay doing before FG coach/coaching?
From memory (always risky) retired from playing in 1999 and actually starting coaching in 2002 as forwards coach for Chooks (the year they won the premiership), also coached their President Cup team and won premierships with their Jersey Flegg Team in 2002 and 2004. Moved to coaching in the country in 2007 and won a Group championship in his first year. Then in 2008 went to the ESL as assistant coach under Kevie Walters at Catalans, finished 3rd in 2008 on the back of a ferocious forward pack overseen by Pay. They then made the Grand Final in 2009. In 2010/11/12 coached the Melbourne U20's as well as assistant coach to the NRL team under Bellamy. In 2012 he also coached the NSW U20's team to SOO victory, did the same in 2013 and 2014 making a 3 peat of SOO wins. Assistant coach to Ricky Stuart at Parramatta 2013 (won spoon) and 2014 where they moved up to = 8th and missed out on playing finals due to for and against.

Some on here will stick by their beliefs and deny the fact that whatever team Pay has gone to has improved, from the Chooks forwards in 2002, to the Country, Catalans, U20's and yes even Parramatta.

Go Dogs

Banned
Reaction score
From memory (always risky) retired from playing in 1999 and actually starting coaching in 2002 as forwards coach for Chooks (the year they won the premiership), also coached their President Cup team and won premierships with their Jersey Flegg Team in 2002 and 2004. Moved to coaching in the country in 2007 and won a Group championship in his first year. Then in 2008 went to the ESL as assistant coach under Kevie Walters at Catalans, finished 3rd in 2008 on the back of a ferocious forward pack overseen by Pay. They then made the Grand Final in 2009. In 2010/11/12 coached the Melbourne U20's as well as assistant coach to the NRL team under Bellamy. In 2012 he also coached the NSW U20's team to SOO victory, did the same in 2013 and 2014 making a 3 peat of SOO wins. Assistant coach to Ricky Stuart at Parramatta 2013 (won spoon) and 2014 where they moved up to = 8th and missed out on playing finals due to for and against.

Some on here will stick by their beliefs and deny the fact that whatever team Pay has gone to has improved, from the Chooks forwards in 2002, to the Country, Catalans, U20's and yes even Parramatta.

Go Dogs
So he can coach at the lower levels.
Where did it go oh so wrong for him then?

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

1000% agreed. If the board cannot fire them then the fans will fire the board.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So he can coach at the lower levels.
Where did it go oh so wrong for him then?
He applied for and accepted the job as our coach for 2018/2019, either a huge mistake or an extremely brave decision. Other coaches either didn't apply and/or passed when they saw the real situation.

Go Dogs

Banned
Reaction score
He applied for and accepted the job as our coach for 2018/2019, either a huge mistake or an extremely brave decision. Other coaches either didn't apply and/or passed when they saw the real situation.

Go Dogs
Is why I suspect that he saw what was happening with regards to other coaches and fell upon his own sword to save face for the club.
I don't rate him much as a FG coach, yet I admire him for taking the position when no one else would, and hope that is recognised in the long term.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the club signs Holbrook because it seems like a step in the right direction
It’s obvious to most that Dean is struggling at this level
A lot of supporters are really sweating on him and what he decides
Boy I hope the club have a plan B or even C,
Feels like we are in desperation mode for a big change
We cannot continue down this road for much longer

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
In all fairness to Pay (although I Think he should go if, and I mean a very big IF we can find a better coach), our club has had many forces operating against it for a long long time. Why have all the top players we developed leave, turned against our club. SBW O'Mealy Mason Klemmer.
I'm certain that our clubs enemies have managed to turn all four against our club. It also affects the moral off the players who are currently at the club.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In all fairness to Pay (although I Think he should go if, and I mean a very big IF we can find a better coach), our club has had many forces operating against it for a long long time. Why have all the top players we developed leave, turned against our club. SBW O'Mealy Mason Klemmer.
I'm certain that our clubs enemies have managed to turn all four against our club. It also affects the moral off the players who are currently at the club.
Can't speak in regards to SBW and Klemmer, but Shrek and Willie talk (to me anyway) like they still have Bulldogs at heart.

Go Dogs

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nothing else, I'm very much looking forward to every answer at press conferences not starting with "Ya know...."

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
You are wasting your good time to try and convince the people on here that the problem is not the coach.
The absolute problem is the distinct lack of football ability in the team. Holbrook wont make one bit of difference with this team.
He will need to rebuild to his liking and that puts us back by probably two years.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I don’t care about other teams I only care about the Bulldogs

He is a shit coach

We are a laughing stock on his watch

‘Bring the madness’

‘Eyes up footy’

Lmao