Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, last night i did my usual walk around Belmore Sportsground and Campsie, and I saw a very interesting fella walk down the front stairs along with Chris Anderson and Andrew Hill.

I think we might have landed our next coach.
Care to enlighten us?

Banned
Reaction score
Holbrook would certainly need 3 years to fix things, however I'll bet some on here will call for his sacking even before the first ball is kicked. If we were to lose 3 or 4 in a row the K will be in overdrive calling for his sacking.
Can we start the "Sack Holbrook" thread now?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Holbrook would make a good assistant coach. Al least we would be rid of Georgallis.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Holbrook would make a good assistant coach. Al least we would be rid of Georgallis.
In what scenario would Holbrook leave a powerhouse ESL club as a head coach when his stock is as high as ever to be an assistant on the bottom placed NRL team?

Especially when he's already been an assistant with the Roosters. If he leaves St. Helens, it will be for a head coaching role.

Pay will be fired by the end of the season. What has he done to deserve to stay on as head coach?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
In what scenario would Holbrook leave a powerhouse ESL club as a head coach when his stock is as high as ever to be an assistant on the bottom placed NRL team?

Especially when he's already been an assistant with the Roosters. If he leaves St. Helens, it will be for a head coaching role.

Pay will be fired by the end of the season. What has he done to deserve to stay on as head coach?
Nothing.

Completely agree.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
By keeping and extending a coach who is out of his depth dramatically....
Sack him and move forward with Holbrook and then we might see some stars be interested in our “warchest”. Stimson isn’t a star he’s a fringe player. Dwz was astute 100% though again. He’s not someone who I would say is a “star”.
Holbrook in and let him make the moves.
Players know our future coach and we have a chance to fix 2020 and improve for the first time in 7 years...
Let's start with Simson, a fringe player, on the fringe of what? He has played 45 NRL games for Melbourne and he is only 23 (still developing for a forward), including a Grand Final. I don't know what your definition of "fringe" is but someone with that record sure as hell isn't remotely close to "fringe" in my definition.

DWZ, not just an international but Captain of the New Zealand team, also only 23 years old. Again I have no idea what your definition of "Star" is but he fits my definition. Possibly that's because in my lexicon above "Star" there is "Super Star" of which there are very very few in the NRL, a handful at any one time.

It's easy to forget timing, when Pay's contract was extended Holbrook wasn't available, it is also worth noting that he wasn't one of the 4 that applied/interviewed for the coaching role originally. Ever so easy to say "get Holbrook" but the first rather important thing is, does he actually want to come and coach us? It is entirely possible that he, like others, doesn't want to ruin his reputation coming to us in the middle of a salary cap shit fight. Better to wait until 2021.

Go Dogs

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I dont think he will leave England.Hope im wrong..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In what scenario would Holbrook leave a powerhouse ESL club as a head coach, reigning premiers and raging hot contender for a repeat, to be a coach at the bottom placed NRL team? One with no hope of recovery before 2021 at the earliest.

If it was me I'd wait, secure this year's premiership and then look at moving FOR the 2021 season. What does "for" mean, for me that would mean a start in good time to secure the players that I want to start the season with, say, around September 2020.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In what scenario would Holbrook leave a powerhouse ESL club as a head coach, reigning premiers and raging hot contender for a repeat, to be a coach at the bottom placed NRL team? One with no hope of recovery before 2021 at the earliest.

If it was me I'd wait, secure this year's premiership and then look at moving FOR the 2021 season. What does "for" mean, for me that would mean a start in good time to secure the players that I want to start the season with, say, around September 2020.

Go Dogs
There's plenty of reasons Holbrook would leave he won't find a better situation to establish himself as a NRL coach.
- The club is very familiar to him.
- The ability to create his own roster within 12 months of starting with huge cap space available.
- Little pressure to win a comp in his first year in charge. There will be pressure to improve however.
- Working at a financially stable club.

There's only 16 NRL coaching jobs in the world and a situation like this won't come up very often plus living in the north of England isn't that fun especially with a young family.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There's plenty of reasons Holbrook would leave he won't find a better situation to establish himself as a NRL coach.
- The club is very familiar to him.
- The ability to create his own roster within 12 months of starting with huge cap space available.
- Little pressure to win a comp in his first year in charge. There will be pressure to improve however.
- Working at a financially stable club.
There's only 16 NRL coaching jobs in the world and a situation like this won't come up very often plus living in the north of England isn't that fun especially with a young family.
Don't much disagree with this except that late next year is far better timing as he won't have to face up for the whole of next season to the criticism that he will inevitably get. It will forever leave an indelible mark on his record, everyone will forget the circumstances but the bad record will still be there.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't much disagree with this except that late next year is far better timing as he won't have to face up for the whole of next season to the criticism that he will inevitably get. It will forever leave an indelible mark on his record, everyone will forget the circumstances but the bad record will still be there.

Go Dogs
Chances are the job won't be available then if he waits till the end of next season.

As long as he didn't deliver a spoon and had the team improving each week I don't think he would face much criticism anyway.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he happens to come here, he will put the rebuild back by at least another 2 years.
I know Pay hasnt got the results people wanted, but he inherited an almighty mess and is working on improving it.
With the exodus of players at seasons end, and the recruitment of some better quality players, I think Pay will do OK.
Bottom line is simply, that Pay is not the problem.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Chances are the job won't be available then if he waits till the end of next season.

As long as he didn't deliver a spoon and had the team improving each week I don't think he would face much criticism anyway.
I've been around this forum for long enough to think that unless he has us in the top 4 and dominating most weeks he'll cop criticism. It's a sad fact of this place that expectations are extremely high even if they're low.