Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m hoping the club makes a positive change because I haven’t seen anything to suggest Pay would go any better next season.
Holbrook has a great record in ESL and I hope we can sign him and Thompson at the same time

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this board has half a brain between the lot of them they will act now and sign Holbrook for 2020 if at all possible. That gives him a year to start recruiting and set the team up as well as clearing out the plodders and cap eaters

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If this board has half a brain between the lot of them they will act now and sign Holbrook for 2020 if at all possible. That gives him a year to start recruiting and set the team up as well as clearing out the plodders and cap eaters
Bingo . Guys send an email to the club even just to members@bulldogs.com.au

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unless the board suddenly becomes pro active and sign a couple more decent players, it wont matter who our coach is or when we sign one, we will still be bottom dwellers, the old catch 22, we cant attract players with a rubbish coach, and a new coach wont make any difference if we still got a team half full of rubbish, its going to be to hard for any coach to sign 10 or so players in 1 go we need to be doing something now to ease the pressure next season

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Everytime I pick up my phone I can't help but check out this thread, this is soooo good hahaha

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think anyone actually believes any of that. It is possible they keep Pay as an assistant which would be a bad idea. I think people are just very concerned because the board hasn't acted soon enough on the coaching situation to put to bed all of these stupid rumours and conjecture.

The longer this drags on and Pay is a sitting duck, the more we'll be reading bullshit stories like this. They better act soon otherwise the circus will get even bigger while players and coaches will be even less likely to sign.
On what planet will Dean Pay be kept as an assistant coach?

Which head coach in the history of the NRL (not interim coach) has been given the ass than employed as an assistant?

Concerned about the coaching situation? What viable options are available now? And i mean good coaches?

Holbrook would be a rookie just like Pay. Yes he has a sexy resume from the ESL but the NRL is another beast.

Im not getting a chub over Holbrook just like i didnt get a chub over Pay.

I cant wait for Pay to go, though its not like we have ample options available when it comes to experienced NRL coaches.

Titans are in the same boat with Brennan, who hasn't shown anything like Pay.

You can bet your bottom dollar Pay & Brennan wont be head coaches in the NRL anytime soon, just like Barrett and Cartwright.

You want the club to come out today and give Pay the ass immediately for Holbrook just to satisfy the kennel?

If it happens, which it looks like it will, they will announce it in due course. There are protocols and strategies to follow so it goes as smoothly as possible. We need to attract players and we aint going to do itthis way, because it has been a circus for years from the Hasler re-signing/sacking debacle, Graham, Woods, Kasiano, Mbye release and so on.

Hold your horses, pull your dicks out and relieve the tension

Banned
Reaction score
Only way Pay can make a dignified exit, is with him and the board announcing that they've signed a permanent FG coach and he is resigning as interim coach to fill a position more suited to his skills.
The Club thank him publicly for his selfless service to the club during trying times, it will not be forgotten by them and true Doggies fans etc.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only way Pay can make a dignified exit, is with him and the board announcing that they've signed a permanent FG coach and he is resigning as interim coach to fill a position more suited to his skills.
The Club thank him publicly for his selfless service to the club during trying times, it will not be forgotten by them and true Doggies fans etc.
board announcement will read, dean pay has agreed to terms on a long multi year deal which will see him run out the kicking tee for the next 5 seasons

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you’re saying about the dignified exit and suppose it looks good on the surface
But at the end of the day our board extended Pays contract earlier this year for another 12 months
It’s a straight out sacking which would include severance money.
Nothing against Dean personal who did his best but was not up to the task
Our hierarchy took a big gamble that didn’t work out.
A poor decision by the business.

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
board announcement will read, dean pay has agreed to terms on a long multi year deal which will see him run out the kicking tee for the next 5 seasons
I’m disappointed like everyone but no need to mock him.
Our board signed and extended the contract
Maybe they should be peeling the oranges !

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
there's 0 chance hill would fly to england for an assistant coach

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem lies with the fact that to many fans weather on TK or not, believe the rubbish which is aired in the media by arse-holes who hate our club, then panic and think its the end of the world.
The two major problems for our club are our enemies outside the club mainly in the media etc, and the impatient fans who want each problem fixed yesterday.
The damage done to our club by Dib and the previous board is immeasurable, particularly when you look at the way our junior developed was neglected. As for Des's back-ended deals, at the end of his reign we were in a much worse position than when he finished up at Manly, Toovey made the GF with the team he had assembled.
During his Manly days it was reporter ed that Manly players took pay cuts in order to keep the team together, so the back-ended deals were not as important, don't recall Manly been close to the spoon either. Des came to our club for the money he never really had his heart in our club.
Would we have been better of if we had kept Kas, Graham, Mbye, Woods and Josh. Perhaps we would have been better of if we kept the Morris's but last season they were only average IMHO. Its going to take time to fix our club's problems

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem lies with the fact that to many fans weather on TK or not, believe the rubbish which is aired in the media by arse-holes who hate our club, then panic and think its the end of the world.
The two major problems for our club are our enemies outside the club mainly in the media etc, and the impatient fans who want each problem fixed yesterday.
The damage done to our club by Dib and the previous board is immeasurable, particularly when you look at the way our junior developed was neglected. As for Des's back-ended deals, at the end of his reign we were in a much worse position than when he finished up at Manly, Toovey made the GF with the team he had assembled.
During his Manly days it was reporter ed that Manly players took pay cuts in order to keep the team together, so the back-ended deals were not as important, don't recall Manly been close to the spoon either. Des came to our club for the money he never really had his heart in our club.
Would we have been better of if we had kept Kas, Graham, Mbye, Woods and Josh. Perhaps we would have been better of if we kept the Morris's but last season they were only average IMHO. Its going to take time to fix our club's problems
Pretty close, just one correction that I know of, after Manly won the premiership in 2011 Hasler stepped up the the back ended contracts to retain the core players. Toovey benefited from that in 2012 and 2013, but in the last year of the 3 year contracts their back ending kicked in and players had to be shed to get cap compliant (eg; GSteward, Watmough). Personally my view is Toovey wouldn't have been as successful in 2012/3 is he hadn't had more/higher quality players than he should have had without the back ended contracts that Hasler installed before he got he flick. The difference was timing, we hit the back ended contracts problem in 2018, so there was no benefits passed on to next coach like there was at Manly.

Go Dogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Irrelevant of what you say we haven’t been a threat
Since 2014.

Don’t know about you but 6 years is to long to be making up the numbers and only regressing.

Pay is out if his depth and our board is making the mess worse.

Signing Holbrook at least allows
Us to have some positives for potential players to come over. Pay and our current indecisive mess isn’t attractive to players anymore then it is us.

Further more we don’t want pay signing 10 Adam Elliot’s with our warchest: we have seen his preferences on selection display. I don’t want that fucking our future

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
our board is making the mess worse.
Exactly what has the Board done that is making it worse? Signing Stimson for 2020 and DWZ immediately and releasing Saddler, they look like moves that make it better to me. There are a few on here that carried away with rumours and innuendo about what the Board is and isn't doing. Just as was the case with DWZ, we really have no idea how much is going on that behinds closed doors we know nothing about.

Go Dogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Exactly what has the Board done that is making it worse? Signing Stimson for 2020 and DWZ immediately and releasing Saddler, they look like moves that make it better to me. There are a few on here that carried away with rumours and innuendo about what the Board is and isn't doing. Just as was the case with DWZ, we really have no idea how much is going on that behinds closed doors we know nothing about.

Go Dogs
By keeping and extending a coach who is out of his depth dramatically....

Sack him and move forward with Holbrook and then we might see some stars be interested in our “warchest”. Stimson isn’t a star he’s a fringe player. Dwz was astute 100% though again. He’s not someone who I would say is a “star”.

Holbrook in and let him make the moves.

Players know our future coach and we have a chance to fix 2020 and improve for the first time in 7 years...

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay will not be here next year it’s inevitable, and if the board fucks up a deal with Holbrook then the board will be out of a job in feb 2020, let’s see how much they want it

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically we need to have the coaching situation sorted out by Nov this year. We can’t go into negotiations with big name players without a set plan with our coach. Give Holbrook a 3 year deal and let him build his team. With our salary cap he will be able to build the team he wants. The board need to do something, because realistically we’ve gone backwards and they can’t really keep on blaming des. They’ve been here for 18 months and we’ve gone backwards tbh.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Realistically we need to have the coaching situation sorted out by Nov this year. We can’t go into negotiations with big name players without a set plan with our coach. Give Holbrook a 3 year deal and let him build his team. With our salary cap he will be able to build the team he wants. The board need to do something, because realistically we’ve gone backwards and they can’t really keep on blaming des. They’ve been here for 18 months and we’ve gone backwards tbh.
This is exactly right!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I'm surprised that not one person here cannot see what’s going on and been able to read the play here.

Firstly, I am not sure if this story is true, but lets assume for arguments sake it is, this is whats happening.

Hill is going over to the England NOT to sign an assistant coach, but the head coach.

The reason he is stating its for the assistant coaching position is a smokescreen out of both respect to, and not to alarm Pay.

Dean will now full well whats happening if Andrew is over there. You cant really keep a lid on it. Someone will leak it

What will happen is Holbrook will either be signed as an assistant knowing full well at the last second he will be promoted to coach, or there will be some other unforeseen magical reason Pay gets dumped, at the end of the season.
That is of course, assuming Pay doesn’t step down out of pure pride.

I have been involved with these kind of management moves and this is the EXACT playbook that’s been used. Its going to a tee.

For this reason, the fact Andrew has approached it in this way saying he will come as an assistant actually leads me to believing its true.

-Nasheed.