Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to argue with stats like that.
Obvously those stats wont continue straight up with our current crop, but prefer him there over dean.
I would keep deano on board.....if he is a real bulldog and really does want to improve this club.
In a lesser role maybe in the lower grades using his best strenghs....if he has any.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This guys 80% record will diminish real quick coaching our current side. Also doesn't really solve attracting players/big players.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter even if we signed Bellamy, Bennett or the late Jack Gibson, not one of these coaches will be able to motivate and coach the current top 30 squad that we currently have ... we need a massive clean out in all departments and start fresh as the current environment is so toxic it makes us look like the laughing stock of the NRL!!!
I remember back in the early 2000's we had a forward pack that was filled with rep. players from QLD, NSW and NZ and even had a SBW and JT on he bench, now look at us, gone from HEAVY weight contenders to having a mortgage on the wooden spoon for the next few years!! ... and what do we do re sign a coach for another year who has a coaching record of below 40%, should have learned from the saga Fraudsler did on us a couple of years ago!!! So much for our new board learning from the past mistakes from the previous mob ... someone please wake me up when this nightmare is finally over!!!
I totally don’t agree,yes there are some players that arent up to it but pay is out of his depth and clueless and with a smart coach he would have alot of these players playing alot better he just isn’t cut out for the job

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone is quick to sack Pay and sure we don't always get the best line up when half our side is NSW cup players anyway.
Can we finish the year strongly and avoid the spoon?
I will judge on that.

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I totally don’t agree,yes there are some players that arent up to it but pay is out of his depth and clueless and with a smart coach he would have alot of these players playing alot better he just isn’t cut out for the job
I don't agree, if these players had a great coach we still would be bottom of the ladder! Massive clean out has been long over due matey!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't agree, if these players had a great coach we still would be bottom of the ladder! Massive clean out has been long over due matey!
Rubbish. One win is all that's needed to get us off the bottom of the ladder and you think there isn't a single coach in the world that could've helped us to one more win at this stage?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rubbish. One win is all that's needed to get us off the bottom of the ladder and you think there isn't a single coach in the world that could've helped us to one more win at this stage?
Finally I get to say I agree with you Nab Fab.. well said mate.

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yup I don't think anyone coach can help us get of the bottom of the ladder mate!

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone is quick to sack Pay and sure we don't always get the best line up when half our side is NSW cup players anyway.
Can we finish the year strongly and avoid the spoon?
I will judge on that.
We finished strongly last year and have gone backwards since. I was so keen for Pay to do well but he clearly doesn't have what it takes.

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You've only gotta look at the dreadful team selections, game plans and use of the bench to know that Pay is completely out of his depth. The fact that we desperately need big bodies and he gives Ogden 23 minutes a game, hasn't picked To'omoga and Napa has been useless is completely due to Pay's ineptitude. Not to mention the idiocy of repeatedly picking Montoya. You've only got to listen to his press conference ramblings to know that he's utterly devoid of any ideas going forward.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hard to argue with stats like that.
Obvously those stats wont continue straight up with our current crop, but prefer him there over dean.
I would keep deano on board.....if he is a real bulldog and really does want to improve this club.
In a lesser role maybe in the lower grades using his best strenghs....if he has any.
Do you think the guys would want him around....the ex head coach now the CCup or defence coach....I thought he could stay but when you think of it, would he have any authority...idk.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think the guys would want him around....the ex head coach now the CCup or defence coach....I thought he could stay but when you think of it, would he have any authority...idk.
They’d have to punt him outright to limit the sniping and backstabbing. He’d be really dirty so could cause all sorts of background bullshit

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it about Dean's coaching that impresses you so much?

Do you not think that a 'great coach' would continually implement methods such as Pay's non adaptive in game strategies, or his poorly tuned and timed set plays? What about his continual ineffective bench rotations or his seemingly random squad changes week to week? What about the the ongoing simple defensive issues that seem to be overlooked week-in week-out, or the lack of on field communication and leadership?

Surely it can be asserted that good leaders can make a big difference, not just in sport but in life, and the Bulldogs coaching role is no exception.

Furthermore, the cleanout that you speak off..... That started 2 years ago, not because the club wanted to... but because it had to... as a reaction to poor leadership.

Poor leadership does not only effect the here and now, but is also toxic in regards to the nurture and development of future growth and success.

Dean Pay is not a good leader in terms of what we need as our coach, and as a result our team and our on field performances are significantly suffering.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...n-french/57aceafd-a606-48d8-997d-c677a2359b72

BULLDOGS, TITANS AFTER GUN COACH

Justin Holbrook is the most wanted man in coaching at the moment - with the Bulldogs and Titans both chasing the St Helens boss.

Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill even flew to England this week to talk to the former NRL halfback.

Holbrook is the next big thing in coaching and the two struggling NRL clubs have recognised that.

But if the Bulldogs do sign Holbrook, I’m hearing it may not necessarily mean the end for Dean Pay next season.

Pay still has the support of Bulldogs powerbrokers Lynne and Chris Anderson and I’m told their plan is to make Holbrook Pay’s assistant in 2020 - and then possibly have him take over the reins in 2021.

Just show Pay the door FFS

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
DOGS, TITANS EYE SAINTS BOSS

Justin Holbrook has been turning heads as a coach in England.

In 2018, his St Helens side were runaway minor premiers and they look to be heading in the same direction this year.

Holbrook was assistant to Roosters boss Trent Robinson and coached the Junior Kangaroos before heading to the UK.

His achievements there are not going unnoticed at two clubs back home in Australia, who look set for a coach switch.

With Dean Pay and Garth Brennan coming under fire in recent weeks, Holbrook has been linked by numerous media outlets to a return to Australia.

Meanwhile, there are reports Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill was enjoying hospitality at Leeds Rhinos in recent weeks. The Dogs have just let Rhyse Martin join the most successful side of the Super League era.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...s/news-story/6a75812840058303fd2fc89635343278

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...n-french/57aceafd-a606-48d8-997d-c677a2359b72

BULLDOGS, TITANS AFTER GUN COACH

Justin Holbrook is the most wanted man in coaching at the moment - with the Bulldogs and Titans both chasing the St Helens boss.

Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill even flew to England this week to talk to the former NRL halfback.

Holbrook is the next big thing in coaching and the two struggling NRL clubs have recognised that.

But if the Bulldogs do sign Holbrook, I’m hearing it may not necessarily mean the end for Dean Pay next season.

Pay still has the support of Bulldogs powerbrokers Lynne and Chris Anderson and I’m told their plan is to make Holbrook Pay’s assistant in 2020 - and then possibly have him take over the reins in 2021.

Just show Pay the door FFS
There’s no way that plan is going to work and I highly doubt it’s true. Holbrook isn’t going to take a step back to being a assistant and Pay would have no self respect if he stayed why his replacement is working under his nose.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If there's any semblance of truth to the club wanting to keep Pay on in any capacity, then that's massively concerning.

If they want to keep Pay next year and have Holbrook as his assistant when he's a much better coach and Pay has been a disaster, then everyone at the club should be fired for pure incompetence.

I doubt the latter is true and believe Pay won't be here next year but with our club I constantly expect the worst and history has shown us it's for good reason.

Last edited:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s no way that plan is going to work and I highly doubt it’s true. Holbrook isn’t going to take a step back to being a assistant and Pay would have no self respect if he stayed why his replacement is working under his nose.
They (the Andersons) are going to fuck this up royally. Same for Jurbo and Turbo.