THE REBUILD - The In's & The Out's

Banned
Reaction score

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's so obvious that the team can't progress at all with the little that Lichaa offers and JMK is not a good enough creative dummy half for a Top 8 team. If the Board are content to plod along as is, then they are on shaky ground with Dogs fans.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I sat down & started compiling my plan for "The Re-build", it did it for a couple of reasons.
1st, I wanted to see for myself if there was any hope for the club in the near to immediate future to build a new team capable of challenging the top 4 with good players off contract and available for us to recruit. There is.

Secondly, it now leaves absolutely no excuse for the new board to fail in their bid to rebuild a strong squad.

There is an immediate opportunity to stop the rot & have a very good young squad to challenge the top 4 as soon a November 1st passes.

They've really got no excuse now, they can't blame Des, they can't blame Ray Dib or Raelene Castle , they can't even blame Jesus Christ , it is all on them now & there is depth available in every position.

I'm sick to death of the last 15 years of mediocrity and if the board fails, it sits squarely on their heads.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
New coach and new spine

Our attack has been woeful for 5 years now

By next year it will be 1 top 4 finish in the last decade, that's not good enough.

Reactions: 086

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now you guys want Levi, OMG surely not.
I got people wanting a new hooker but there's no point signing one that isn't any better then what we already have.

There just isn't much out there at the minute Levi is rubbish and J Brayley is a tackle machine with little to no creativity.

If we don't get Turpin then its going to be JMK until Hetherington is ready I'd say unless something falls into our lap. Unfortunately Gray was the other promising Flegg hooker but has been injured for most of the year.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got people wanting a new hooker but there's no point signing one that isn't any better then what we already have.

There just isn't much out there at the minute Levi is rubbish and J Brayley is a tackle machine with little to no creativity.

If we don't get Turpin then its going to be JMK until Hetherington is ready I'd say unless something falls into our lap. Unfortunately Gray was the other promising Flegg hooker but has been injured for most of the year.
Agree totally. Not an upgrade on JMK I believe, people just wanting to sign a new hooker for the hell of it.
If we dont sign anyone better than what we have we will need to make do with JMK, who was getting better the more games he played this year. Yeah I know nothing great but I belive offers more than bringing in Levi. Be interesting when he is back and has DWZ lurking around when he does get a break.
Lichaa is surely gone end of the year..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree totally. Not an upgrade on JMK I believe, people just wanting to sign a new hooker for the hell of it.
If we dont sign anyone better than what we have we will need to make do with JMK, who was getting better the more games he played this year. Yeah I know nothing great but I belive offers more than bringing in Levi. Be interesting when he is back and has DWZ lurking around when he does get a break.
Agreed, I’m not a JMK fan but we have few options. That’s the thing with a rebuild you won’t get every piece you need straight away unless you get really lucky like we did in 2009.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JMK already had DWZ in support once and he fucked it lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When I sat down & started compiling my plan for "The Re-build", it did it for a couple of reasons.
1st, I wanted to see for myself if there was any hope for the club in the near to immediate future to build a new team capable of challenging the top 4 with good players off contract and available for us to recruit. There is.
Secondly, it now leaves absolutely no excuse for the new board to fail in their bid to rebuild a strong squad.
There is an immediate opportunity to stop the rot & have a very good young squad to challenge the top 4 as soon a November 1st passes.
They've really got no excuse now, they can't blame Des, they can't blame Ray Dib or Raelene Castle , they can't even blame Jesus Christ , it is all on them now & there is depth available in every position.
I'm sick to death of the last 15 years of mediocrity and if the board fails, it sits squarely on their heads.
Rough maths say we will have around $2m available next year under the cap, based on who is off contract minus who we have signed (eg; Simson). Personally I seriously doubt that $2m is remotely near half what we would need to get close to a Top 4 finish. One decent strike/gun player plus 4 good value replacements isn't going to be enough. I see 2021 as being the year when we have enough cap space available to make a major difference.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rough maths say we will have around $2m available next year under the cap, based on who is off contract minus who we have signed (eg; Simson). Personally I seriously doubt that $2m is remotely near half what we would need to get close to a Top 4 finish. One decent strike/gun player plus 4 good value replacements isn't going to be enough. I see 2021 as being the year when we have enough cap space available to make a major difference.

Go Dogs
Not sure what guys are off contract for next year, it sure would be a start if we could nab a Marquee but highly unlikely.
A couple decent strike players would be nice.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure what guys are off contract for next year, it sure would be a start if we could nab a Marquee but highly unlikely.
A couple decent strike players would be nice.
Off contract end of 2019 - Fa'amanu Brown, Danny Fualalo, Morgan Harper, Kayne Kalache, Tui Katoa, Connelly Leumelu, Michael Lichaa, John Olive, Isaiah Tass
Not a lot of high $ value released.

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay & Stuart both signed rookie inexperienced fullbacks..

Pay recruited Meaney..

Stuart recruited Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad..

Klokstad is well ahead of Meaney at this point in time..

An important part of a rebuild is great recruitment decisions..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Pay recruited Meaney..

Summed that up.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay recruited Meaney..
I'm not sure that it's a fair comparison between 1 fullback playing for a team in the top 4 and 1 in the bottom 2. Could it be that the dramatically better performing team makes one look better?
Could it be that 1 is 2 years older and has a year more NRL experience? Playing almost almost twice as many NRL games.
Is it possibly not exactly an apples for apples comparison?

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure that it's a fair comparison between 1 fullback playing for a team in the top 4 and 1 in the bottom 2. Could it be that the dramatically better performing team makes one look better?
Could it be that 1 is 2 years older and has a year more NRL experience? Playing almost almost twice as many NRL games.
Is it possibly not exactly an apples for apples comparison?

Go Dogs
And so who is a fair comparison.. Nick Meaney to Nick Meaneys non existent twin brother?..

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And so who is a fair comparison.. Nick Meaney to Nick Meaneys non existent twin brother?..
The point isnt about the players.. Pay was here in 2018 and could have chosen a range of fullbacks including Klokstad.. he chose Meaney..
Klokstad wasn't available when Meaney was signed, the Warriors only released him in February. Meaney was signed in June last year, some 8 months before Klokstad became available. As a result there was no "choice" to be made between Klokstad and Meaney. For it to be a valid comparison (ie; a choice between player A or player B) firstly, both players must be available at the same time and able to fit within the salary cap limits.

If we ignore the differing time frames then personally I prefer Pay's fullback choice of DWZ over Klokstad.

Go Dogs

Last edited: