Opinion Bulldog "Spirit Dogs"

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Just throwing an idea out there to see if it has any traction...
I remember a couple of years ago our "marketing department " introduced some idea around players having an alter ego of sorts ie: Reynolds the grub, Hassler the Mad scientist, Klemmer the cyborg etc. Obviously this was aimed at the younger pups and was a bit sad if u ask me so how about this...
We nominate a former Bulldog to act as a "spirit animal" for each position in the team. This spirit could then possess the player on game day and bring out our mighty Bulldogs passion. Perhaps those still living/able could mentor the current player? Perhaps the attitude of the "Spirit Dog" could even influence signing/selection criteria for the future?

So for my 2c I would nominate for the Bulldog Spirit Team;

#11 - 2nd row - David Cement Gillespie to influence Josh Jackson.
One of the reasons we were such a feared defensive team. A little bit of Cement would no doubt help our current situation.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What worked in the past, doesn't work now. Already seeing that with the board.

Plus players would have to make themselves available to travel to the club from where-ever they now live for game day. Very few could commit to that.

Some players pop into the dressing rooms every now and the when they can, and guys like Pricey, Mortimer and Lamb are often around the place.

Yet no difference.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Plus players would have to make themselves available to travel to the club from where-ever they now live for game day. Very few could commit to that.

Some players pop into the dressing rooms every now and the when they can, and guys like Pricey, Mortimer and Lamb are often around the place.

Yet no difference.
No difference alright !!

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Yet no difference.
Understand and agree... was more aiming at a mental approach!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Understand and agree... was more aiming at a mental approach!
Forget mental approach..

they are struggling with the basics like a catch & pass, tackle & kicking.. once they get the basics right they can move onto these spirit animals u speak of..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anything is worth a try the way things are atm....but more competent coach would work best.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather the superhero stuff of the past that the cheap, cringeworthy as fuck current promos where they head into local businesses in the area and get an ad done on the cheap.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I think it’s a great idea that would create interest. Our marketing team could certainly do something with it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd rather the superhero stuff of the past that the cheap, cringeworthy as fuck current promos where they head into local businesses in the area and get an ad done on the cheap.
What do you expect? The budget they have to work with is tiny so it has to be done on the cheap.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are playing like a bunch ghosts..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you expect? The budget they have to work with is tiny so it has to be done on the cheap.
Interesting, I would have thought we had plenty of budget available and I don't believe that marketing falls under the football club NRL Cap. So there should be no external limit, only what we budget internally. The Hospitality and Promotional spend last year was $1.1m (ie; $200k less than 2017), so it would be interesting to know how much of that was for Marketing.

Go Dogs

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
If having Baa and Turvey around the joint hasn't worked, then nothing will.

Btw - since we're talking about spirits... I'll have a JD and coke thanks.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would have thought we had plenty of budget available and I don't believe that marketing falls under the football club NRL Cap. So there should be no external limit, only what we budget internally. The Hospitality and Promotional spend last year was $1.1m (ie; $200k less than 2017), so it would be interesting to know how much of that was for Marketing.

Go Dogs
I’m not sure the report doesn’t break things down to that degree. There isn’t a big incentive for the club to spend big on things like high quality ads for the website as most people viewing are already invested and would know the details of upcoming matches and memberships.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's budget and there's budget.

I'd almost prefer the stuff from last year to this stuff.
Then you’d whinge about using the same thing as last year. It’s simple and gets the message across plus it gets local business involved in the club there’s plenty bigger problems.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like someone needs to lay off the glass bbq

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
questions need to be asked why a coach with little experience was appointed..extended in the middle of a clean out. getting rid of experienced players and leaving the club languishing in last spot on the ladder. why we seem to lack motivation..how the coach "lost" the players..if true. why we seem to lack the basic skills..ie 40-20s..kicking game.