THE REBUILD - The In's & The Out's

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what $ value you'd place on those players. Then also keeping in mind we'd have to overpay on all of them to compete with their current and other clubs. We're basically going to have to put 200-400k on top of every player's value to get them to come over to us. That's why it might be more feasible to buy fewer better players.
I don't agree with $200k to $400k on top, that's ridiculous. On a 3 year contract that's $600k to $1.2m more. So, say, Manly offer JTrjbovic $3m for 3 years we would have to offer $4.2m, that's like a 40% pay rise, I don't think so. Maybe $300k more, $100k a year, even $500k more for 3 years, that's still less than 200K a year.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, it is staggering that you still haven't realised that the sooner Pay is fired the better.
Keeping him the rest of the season means wasted minutes on Elliott, Montoya, Cogger, Meaney, Sue and any other Pay favourites which means less minutes for Ogden, To'omaga, Harper, Okunbur, Katoa, Wakeham, Kalache etc. All of this stifles their development and means they don't get the valuable experience that they need and the club needs to see if they're part of the plan moving forward.
If you can't see that Pay is holding the club and the development of many players back then you're blind. He's pissed off half the squad, plays everyone out of position and drops seven players every second week and you think that he deserves to stay on?
So you guarantee that whoever they pull out the hat TOMORROW will give the result that you are demanding? I have no such confidence, simply because who's available out there right now is rubbish, other clubs rejects. No apologies, I want someone better, otherwise it's simply not worth doing. Mostly because it will stuff up the 2021 recruitment even more.

As for individual players development, that is purely guess work, we have no idea who it is let alone who they will chose to develop. It's nothing more than hope and that simply ain't good enough.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't agree with $200k to $400k on top, that's ridiculous. On a 3 year contract that's $600k to $1.2m more. So, say, Manly offer JTrjbovic $3m for 3 years we would have to offer $4.2m, that's like a 40% pay rise, I don't think so. Maybe $300k more, $100k a year, even $500k more for 3 years, that's still less than 200K a year.

Go Dogs
Another option is very long contracts for a a little more, I still think 100-200k at least is what is going to be required. I think you're a little crazy to think a player would come to our club for the same price, or not enough $ difference, then other offers from their current and better clubs. If we want Tom Trbojevic I think we're going to have to offer 1.4-1.5m which is 200-300k more then I think Manly would pay. If you want to use Jake as an e.g. then 1.3m as I think he's valued at 1m. Regardless if Manly have room in the cap for that, other clubs will also be interested.

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy turbo
Remis smith
Zac Lomax
Bronson xerri
Watene zalezniak
Dylan brown
Kyle Flanagan
Jayden Brailley

Forwards
Napa and tapau
Second row
CHN and Jackson
Lock jake trbojevic

Bench
Ogden
Stimson
Flegler
Connor Tracey

Coach
Shane Flanagan
Halves coach Jonathan Thurston
Tommy Turbo
Remis smith
Zac Lomax
Bronson xerri - NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 2022
Watene zalezniak
Dylan brown
Kyle Flanagan - NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 2022
Jayden Brailley

Forwards
Napa and tapau
Second row
CHN and Jackson
Lock jake trbojevic

Bench
Ogden
Stimson
Flegler
Connor Tracey

Coach
Shane Flanagan
Halves coach Jonathan Thurston[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it's not just about who we want because I would have taken these 2 also - its first about who is off contract.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy Turbo
Remis smith
Zac Lomax
Bronson xerri - NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 2022
Watene zalezniak
Dylan brown
Kyle Flanagan - NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 2022
Jayden Brailley

Forwards
Napa and tapau
Second row
CHN and Jackson
Lock jake trbojevic

Bench
Ogden
Stimson
Flegler
Connor Tracey

Coach
Shane Flanagan

Unfortunately it's not just about who we want because I would have taken these 2 also - its first about who is off contract.[/QUOTE]
Bronson xerri off contract end of 2020... and Kyle Flanagan is being shopped around..

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not just about who we want because I would have taken these 2 also - its first about who is off contract.
Bronson xerri off contract end of 2020... and Kyle Flanagan is being shopped around..[/QUOTE]
Bronson xerri off contract end of 2020... and Kyle Flanagan is being shopped around..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So you guarantee that whoever they pull out the hat TOMORROW will give the result that you are demanding? I have no such confidence, simply because who's available out there right now is rubbish, other clubs rejects. No apologies, I want someone better, otherwise it's simply not worth doing. Mostly because it will stuff up the 2021 recruitment even more.

As for individual players development, that is purely guess work, we have no idea who it is let alone who they will chose to develop. It's nothing more than hope and that simply ain't good enough.

Go Dogs
Who cares about results anymore? The season is over.. Plus anyone could get the results Pay has been getting. 4 wins all season isn't hard to accomplish. An interim the rest of the year who plays youngsters until the permanent coach is found is the best solution.

"Hope" is literally all we have to look forward to at the moment and while Pay is around playing duds ahead of youngsters with talent, there isn't any hope.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we need to be abit more realistic, we're not going to be able to attract a superstar in their prime like Turbo or Latrell without decimating our salary cap.
From all reports Jayden Brailey is going to Newcastle who in turn will release Danny Levi, let's start there and try to get the Knights to pay part of the contract. Dylan Walker is off contract and his court dramas and Manly's cap might make him a realistic option for us, he's someone who can create something out of nothing.
Outside that Jordan Kahu would be a handy addition in the centres and is a good goalkicker and Joel Thompson would add some steel in the forwards.
If we can add those pieces next year and become more competitive with a strong nucleus we won't need to offer ridiculous overs to attract players in 2021

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless the information is incorrect, Zero Tackle has both Kyle Flanagan & Bronson Xerri both contracted until the end of season 2021.
There was word that Flanagan wanted to go to the Roosters before June 30 but that didn't happen. Although I would love to have him, the Sharks control his future pre 20222 until the decide otherwise.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares about results anymore? The season is over.. Plus anyone could get the results Pay has been getting. 4 wins all season isn't hard to accomplish. An interim the rest of the year who plays youngsters until the permanent coach is found is the best solution. "Hope" is literally all we have to look forward to at the moment and while Pay is around playing duds ahead of youngsters with talent, there isn't any hope.
With our current team I'm not convinced the 4 wins is all that bad, at least as bad some make out. I don't believe that the reason why we had such a poor response to our "coach wanted" last year has diminished in any way. It will next year and then take a step change in 2021, but that is no guarantee that we won't get the same lack of interest right now.

Go Dogs

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck it. If he wants 500k give it to him. As long its not a too long a deal. As his getting a little.
Hes a gun winger surely $400-$450k hes a gun

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can think of worse Bulldogs coaches.
How do you expect the board to attract any one better when you can't even name one that is suitable and available.
Convenient that you don't mention that the mess we are in right now is due to that same Premiership winning (not with us BTW) coach.

Of course you (and I) have no idea whether or not the Board is talking to the greatest coach the NRL has ever seen (whoever that may be). So you could easily be complaining about something that is in fact already happening. Hence what you are really complaining about is that the Board hasn't bothered to tell you who they are talking to.

Go Dogs
I don't know who is or isn't available, I don't have contacts that make this information accessible, that's the clubs job.

Haslers mess is also irrelevant in regards to this discussion, there was absolutely nothing wrong with recruiting him and pulling off his signing was a huge achievement. The club gambled/mismanaged the roster and that's what hurt us in the end along with Hasler going loopy mid way through his stint, maybe he should never have been a long-term option for us or maybe the board should've been more proactive managing the clubs structure.

But if you want me to get behind a coach then it's still Holbrook for me. I wanted him instead of Pay and now with even more experience in the ESL I'm even more for him. Pay should never have been recruited, had fuck all of a resume and if he never played for the dogs he would never have been mentioned. Kevin Moore got less of a go than Pay.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Tommy turbo
Remis smith
Zac Lomax
Bronson xerri
Watene zalezniak
Dylan brown
Kyle Flanagan
Jayden Brailley

Forwards
Napa and tapau
Second row
CHN and Jackson
Lock jake trbojevic

Bench
Ogden
Stimson
Flegler
Connor Tracey

Coach
Shane Flanagan
Get me this please

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these threads are the same just with different titles
I'll have to disagree with you there Intercept.
Rather than everyone nominating who they want to play for us, I went a couple of steps further by
- Sharing when & who of our current squad are off contract which then in turns allows us to buy others or re-sign
- Put forward names of players with options who are actual available & OFF CONTRACT that I think we should consider IMO - It takes away some element of Dreamland Signings!
- I then added each players personal details including age, weight & height - which I thought just might be important if I were gonna throw money at anyone to join my football organisation if it were mine.

I can't remember seeing a thread outlining all these points above!!!!

Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm!!!

Last edited:

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was a great post.
Some of the prices are hugely inflated. Ie Jackson and pretty much everyone else.
Within the cap (not talking allowances, tpa's etc) no way would I pay Jackson more than 300k a season and that would be out of respect.
You could buy/breed a junior who will continue to develop on minimum wage only not to mention tpa,veteran allowance etc that would have more impact.

I think if your talking marquee players, spine etc we shouldn't have to pay more than 15% than existing club or other 'glamour' clubs salaray cap wise. Not sure about other perks but if Manly offered TT 1m over 3 years we gave him 1,15 over 4 that's over half a million difference. Not too mention TPA's and anything else we could swindle with loopholes.
I think Brandon Smith is obvious, 350-550k a season within the cap. He will make a dramatic differnce. Would love to know how much he's on at the Storm, would be nowhere near this the way they soundly recruit and retain.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe worth keeping in mind that the Cap is $9.6m for 30 players, that’s $340k average. In general below “average” players would be on below average contracts. Vice versa for above average players. A consistent NRL starter ie; in the 13 would be above average. Obviously players on existing contracts may be on below average, but that would only last for the term if their existing contract. They would rightfully expect to jump up to above average in their new/next contract.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe worth keeping in mind that the Cap is $9.6m for 30 players, that’s $340k average. In general below “average” players would be on below average contracts. Vice versa for above average players. A consistent NRL starter ie; in the 13 would be above average. Obviously players on existing contracts may be on below average, but that would only last for the term if their existing contract. They would rightfully expect to jump up to above average in their new/next contract.

Go Dogs
What’s the point of this post? Do you really think everyone in here thought every player was getting paid $340k each? Of course good players get more money then below average players....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What’s the point of this post? Do you really think everyone in here thought every player was getting paid $340k each? Of course good players get more money then below average players....
If you look 2 posts up someone wanted to pay Jackson $300k.

Go Dogs