THE REBUILD - The In's & The Out's

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good young guys in there that wouldnt break the bank, Lomax, Flegler etc. The halves listed arent anything id be excited about, Dylan Brown would be another good option. I would give what we have coming through a bit more of a chance Wakeham/Cogger/Lewis and the other young fella that name i cant remember.
Rather B Smith in Hooker, im one of the guys that arent that fussed on Brailey but better than our current options.
We need to throw the bank at Turbos. That is best choice then the likes of Lomax/Brailey/Fleglers might follow.
MItchell im not sold on, especially for a Centre for a mil. If he could show something in Fullback might be a different story, but Manu is ahead of him there this week also. Manu id take without hesitation.
I'd like to consider Brandon Smith at hooker also - But he is contracted until the end of the 2022 season & therefore isn't available until 2023, I cant wait that long.
I do agree with you on Dylan Brown as being another good option who is available, although I am a little wary that only after a handful of games he has missed most of the season with injury but still wants big bucks.
As far as the Turbo's go - I'd love to have them, who wouldn't - I just think they will stay at WOMANLY and the money saved will allow us to strengthen other positions. I hear your theory of the sheep following though.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tolman and now Jackson have nailed down the art of ineffective hitups, starting with the two of them through the middle is pretty shit. Napa is also a huge dud and doesn't make things any easier, massive waste of cash like I and a few others said at the time. Bloke needs to drop some weight, get fit, work on his leg drive and learn some control and stop recklessly attempting tackles. This is the exact reason he was demoted to basically 4th prop at the Roosters and why they were more than happy to let him go and use a bloke on near minimum wage to cover him. Welch looks decent but not for us with what we currently have on our books.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Replace the coach with who? Exactly which coach is demonstrably better, a no risk choice to sign for 3 years minimum, and is available to start Nov 1?

Go Dogs
Pay is without a doubt the worst Bulldogs coach in memory, it's simply unacceptable to have him at the club any longer. If the board can't attract anyone better then they're just as incompetent. We're supposed to be a big club with rich history and strong financial backing, this is simply not good enough. Keep pushing the narrative that no one better is available though, the old board that was apparently shit could at least attract a Premiership winning coach and get him to break his contract the same year as winning a comp to join us.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is without a doubt the worst Bulldogs coach in memory, it's simply unacceptable to have him at the club any longer. If the board can't attract anyone better then they're just as incompetent. We're supposed to be a big club with rich history and strong financial backing, this is simply not good enough. Keep pushing the narrative that no one better is available though, the old board that was apparently shit could at least attract a Premiership winning coach and get him to break his contract the same year as winning a comp to join us.
Thankyou nabs u took the words right out of my mouth but even put it clearer.
The way twin turbo talks i really think he has some agenda with pay. One of his employees or something i just cant work it out yet.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
as I said in my post, just my opinion. However, no such thing as a "sure thing" as im sure you understand TT. Its not my job to find a new coach, im just hopeful that the board are doing all they can to get the best for our club, that is their job. To only give Pay the 1yr extension tells me they are open to a different direction when we have the cap space.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I can think of worse Bulldogs coaches.
How do you expect the board to attract any one better when you can't even name one that is suitable and available.
Convenient that you don't mention that the mess we are in right now is due to that same Premiership winning (not with us BTW) coach.

Of course you (and I) have no idea whether or not the Board is talking to the greatest coach the NRL has ever seen (whoever that may be). So you could easily be complaining about something that is in fact already happening. Hence what you are really complaining about is that the Board hasn't bothered to tell you who they are talking to.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It really is staggering that some people still want to keep Pay as coach. I guess some people think we can't do better than nine wins in over one and a half seasons and having a coach with zero tactical ability or general plan or idea is acceptable.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our team is better off watching an hour of Benny Hill shows for each video session than getting a talk from Pay.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldn’t take any coach from manly expect for maybe Barrett or Toovey but I think we need s marquee halve and a few players to pay overs on that will attract players to us then the rest will work it’s self out

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ideally we need a marquee halfback to pair up with 1 of our younger ones which I think could be Lewis to help steer him around and help him out

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ideally we need a marquee halfback to pair up with 1 of our younger ones which I think could be Lewis to help steer him around and help him out
That way you might find if we get better players the players that are shit now will become better

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You would need to understand his personal issues. If he is over those then a great pickup.
Didn’t he get released because he wrote off a hire car when he was driving pissed? Plus he smashed his ankle up pretty badly a couple of months ago.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It really is staggering that some people still want to keep Pay as coach. I guess some people think we can't do better than nine wins in over one and a half seasons.
Is it "staggering" that I want to keep Pay until a better coach is signed? Because swapping coaches without a clear progression is just plain stupid. Even more stupid is sticking some interim coach in there to further confuse the ongoing recruitment processes. There is a clear difference between "keep forever" and "keep until", some people understand the reason for the difference, some don't.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what $ value you'd place on those players. Then also keeping in mind we'd have to overpay on all of them to compete with their current and other clubs. We're basically going to have to put 200-400k on top of every player's value to get them to come over to us. That's why it might be more feasible to buy fewer better players. The only players we're going to get on current value are players not wanted by their current clubs or other clubs, which aren't going to be established 1st graders or players that look promising and already showed something at the NRL level.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is it "staggering" that I want to keep Pay until a better coach is signed? Because swapping coaches without a clear progression is just plain stupid. Even more stupid is sticking some interim coach in there to further confuse the ongoing recruitment processes. There is a clear difference between "keep forever" and "keep until", some people understand the reason for the difference, some don't.

Go Dogs
Yes, it is staggering that you still haven't realised that the sooner Pay is fired the better.

Keeping him the rest of the season means wasted minutes on Elliott, Montoya, Cogger, Meaney, Sue and any other Pay favourites which means less minutes for Ogden, To'omaga, Harper, Okunbur, Katoa, Wakeham, Kalache etc. All of this stifles their development and means they don't get the valuable experience that they need and the club needs to see if they're part of the plan moving forward.

If you can't see that Pay is holding the club and the development of many players back then you're blind. He's pissed off half the squad, plays everyone out of position and drops seven players every second week and you think that he deserves to stay on?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tolman and now Jackson have nailed down the art of ineffective hitups, starting with the two of them through the middle is pretty shit. Napa is also a huge dud and doesn't make things any easier, massive waste of cash like I and a few others said at the time. Bloke needs to drop some weight, get fit, work on his leg drive and learn some control and stop recklessly attempting tackles. This is the exact reason he was demoted to basically 4th prop at the Roosters and why they were more than happy to let him go and use a bloke on near minimum wage to cover him. Welch looks decent but not for us with what we currently have on our books.
Ideally I want
8. Welch
10. Thompson
16. Napa.
Tolman moved on Ogden and Renouf bench props also.