Wakeham??

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone has a different view of player ability - carr and bergamin were not first grade quality - im sure if they were first grade quality other clubs would have signed them rather than them playing park footy or ron massey or canterbury cup. Maybe im wrong.
Bergamin is playing between NSW Cup and Ron Massey Cup for Wenty Magpies. Sad that this weekend Siosaia Vave, Beau Henry, and Geoff Daniela are also playing in Ron Massey. Funny thing is Wenty have a Josh Bergamin and a Josh Beringham.
Templeman is playing QCup for Wynnum Manly Seagulls.
Carr I think retired as he was injury prone.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tom Carr should have been given an NRL run. Bloke had a massive stride, was decent under the high ball, and had one of the highest vertical leaps I've ever seen. Him and Smith could have been our wingers this year, with Bergamin at fullback.

Even Cerruto was going well before injury and appear to have been cast aside by the club.
I guess the thought is "give them a go...they are "our" reserve graders-why buy other teams reserve graders if we haven't given our own a go (if they've shown some promise and the ones in fg aren't demonstrably better).

We all.know this is the case with both Hasler and Pay. I can't see the point of re-signing players, keep them in reggies, sign someone else's reserves then dump ours. Almost always these new players aren't any better....and....we still don't know if "ours" would/could have stepped up.

We were desperate for some strike at FB and wing...our guys should have got a chance.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess the thought is "give them a go...they are "our" reserve graders-why buy other teams reserve graders if we haven't given our own a go (if they've shown some promise and the ones in fg aren't demonstrably better).
We all.know this is the case with both Hasler and Pay. I can't see the point of re-signing players, keep them in reggies, sign someone else's reserves then dump ours. Almost always these new players aren't any better....and....we still don't know if "ours" would/could have stepped up.
We were desperate for some strike at FB and wing...our guys should have got a chance.
We didn't have enough money available for 2019 to sign anyone above Meaney, Cogger, Sue, Crighton and Smith level. With the later addition of Napa (a cheaper replacement for Klemmer) CHN and now DWZ (with Penrith paying some of his freight). That's as good as 2019 signings that we were going to get. Not all have worked out, but that's what happens when you dip into the bargain bin, sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you get a dud.

Go Dogs

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I agree on the why bother buying other teams reserve graders - there are times however when a player in resrve grade will go to another level at another club - different style, different position, returning from an injury etc - but they are few and far between. Carr at times was elusive and bergamin was always safe and in position.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
DWZ (with Penrith paying some of his freight).
Panthers and DWZ mutually agreed on an early contract termination so he could seek out other clubs. As far as I know (and it's been reported even by Panthers), we are paying full freight.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Panthers and DWZ mutually agreed on an early contract termination so he could seek out other clubs. As far as I know (and it's been reported even by Panthers), we are paying full freight.
My source is the official NRL Web Site;
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/09/dwz-signs-nrl-contract-with-bulldogs/
The release of Blake and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak during the past few weeks has eased any salary cap pressure Penrith may have been under for 2020. Penrith have chipped in some money for both players to leave
Somehow I doubt that the NRL itself would lie and leave themselves open to being sued by Penrith (the story has been up since 9th June) so they have had plenty of time to sue and/or for the NRL to remove or retract.

Go Dogs

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen it elsewhere that they are paying as well as no mention in other articles, so the info is ambiguous!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My source is the official NRL Web Site;
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/09/dwz-signs-nrl-contract-with-bulldogs/

Somehow I doubt that the NRL itself would lie and leave themselves open to being sued by Penrith (the story has been up since 9th June) so they have had plenty of time to sue and/or for the NRL to remove or retract.

Go Dogs
In that link, the comment you quoted was retracted by Chammas.

Panthers state he was granted a release from his contract to persue another option with another NRL club.

Why would the Panthers (who didn't need to release him or Blake this year), pay some of his way to play against them? That makes no sense.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who cares if we are paying dwz.... we don’t know how much he’s on...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In that link, the comment you quoted was retracted by Chammas.
Panthers state he was granted a release from his contract to persue another option with another NRL club.
Why would the Panthers (who didn't need to release him or Blake this year), pay some of his way to play against them? That makes no sense.
Must be blind, I can't see a retraction, please help me out.

As it was explained to me Cleary didn't want him, dropped him to CC and wanted to move him on to stop them exceeding the cap in 2020 (they weren't under pressure for 2019). We offered to take him for 2020 as long as Penrith paid some of his contract, Penrith agreed on the condition that we take him before 30 June. He was "released" same as we "released" Woods, Reynolds, Mbye etc.

Go Dogs

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We only got dwz because the tigers couldn't fit him into their cap, we were his only option

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree on the why bother buying other teams reserve graders - there are times however when a player in resrve grade will go to another level at another club - different style, different position, returning from an injury etc - but they are few and far between. Carr at times was elusive and bergamin was always safe and in position.
Certainly not saying dont get reserve graders. They do work out at times...Willie Tonga one of our best. Im suggesting this, while we are in such dire straits looking for some talent with no money to spend getting it atm.

But why not give our own guys a try if they are contracted. We've tied up a lot of money, time and facilities in them.

We don't give a lot the opportunity they deserve, over look them and buy another reserve grader from outside and start it all over like groundhog day.

Ideally nobody in our Top 30 should ever leave the club without at least playing 2 fg games. If they are not good enough for that before their contract ends, the recruiters and Admin should be shot for not giving us good enough players in the first place who are able to do a job for us.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney was a panic purchase. The club knew we wanted signing news and panicked and signed him up. Newcastle weren't in a hurry to retain him (as they had Crossland and a few others coming through) and Ponga on the way.

Hence signing DWZ.

Same might apply to Cogger although he is getting better.
Panic purchase please. He was a kid that showed promise that was signed long term cheap. That’s not a panic purchase that’s smart. Yeah the kid hasn’t set the world on fire this season but he’s been one of the more dependable players in this horrible season

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm surprised the majority of people said that Wakeham isn't ready physically for FG right now.

From what I saw against Cronulla and said at the time, he didn't look over matched physically and was also composed. He's now had a great second game where he defended well, handled the physicality and speed easily, especially against a big pack and top 8 team on the road...

He should play the rest of the season as he's proven he's up to it and looks better than Cogger already. I'm very impressed with how well he's handled first grade so far.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was pretty good last night his defence was surprisingly good and so was Coggers. Looking forward to watching him play more as this season finishes up.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s been a halfback his whole life. Not sure where you got hooker from. Also he’s only just turned 20 and been named in the NSW 20s team. Plenty of time for him to develop.
He needs another 5-7kgs. Easily achieved in one off season now that he’s training and playing with FG

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He surprised me last night. I thought he had a solid game. But that pass for CHN was fucking mint. The poise and class he showed was very impressive. Seems like a cheeky little **** as well. How about him offering the water to Gavet when DWZ was down for cramp. Hahaha