Official Emerging talent added to Dogs Development Squad.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Emerging talent added to Development List
bulldogs.com.au
Wed 3 Jul 2019, 10:16 AM
Outside backs Isaiah Tass and Connelly Leumelu are the latest Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs players to be added to the club’s Development List.

Both Tass and Leumelu join Tui Katoa as the club’s development players for season 2019.

Every club is allowed three to six development players every year outside of their top 30 NRL squad. The players train full-time, but previously were not eligible to play first grade without an exemption from the NRL.

A change in the rule this season will allow any player on the Development List to play NRL without exemption permission after the 30th June.

The development program gives emerging talent a taste of the professionalism required to succeed in an NRL system and helps ease the transition from junior reps and pathways programs.

Tass was schooled at Mackay State High School, and is a product of the Norths Devils Mackay junior rugby league club. He arrived at Belmore mid-way through the 2018 season from Cabramatta and finished the year with the Jersey Flegg side after making his debut in round 13.

The 19-year old is a promising wing or centre who has featured in both the club’s Canterbury Cup and under 20’s sides throughout this season.

Isaiah currently lives with fellow Bulldog players Josh Wilkinson and Dalton Smith and is on contract with Canterbury until the end of the 2020 season.

Tass has completed his Cert IV in fitness and prior to his promotion to the development list, the outside back was working as an Aboriginal Student Support Officer at Tafe NSW.

His season to date has produced some incredible numbers, averaging 12 runs and 114 metres per game, 39 tackle breaks, 10-line breaks, three try assists and 10 tries.

Meanwhile, Leumelu’s transition to the Development List has come quickly after only arriving at Belmore over the summer from the Wests Tigers on a part-time contract.

Connelly, a talented centre comes from a rugby union background having played the majority of his junior years with Papatoetoe Rugby Club in Auckland.

The 20-year old was schooled at Keebra Park State High School and was a member of the 2016 side which went down to Westfields Sports High School in the GIO schoolboy cup grand final.

Leumelu scored two tries in the match playing alongside Brisbane Broncos prop Payne Hass and Wests Tigers forward Tom Mikaele, while Bulldogs rookie Brandon Wakeham was joined by Jersey Flegg players, Jake Averillo and Alex Seve, as members of the Westfields side.

He has made 11 appearances for the club in 2019, averaging 14 runs and 130 metres per game, 19 tackle breaks, seven-line breaks and five tries.

ISAIAH TASS BIO
DOB: 19/8/1999
HEIGHT: 185cm
WEIGHT: 94kg
JUNIOR CLUB: Norths Devils Mackay
POSITION: Wing/Centre

CONNELLY LEUMELU BIO
DOB: 7/7/1998
HEIGHT: 190cm
WEIGHT: 103kg
JUNIOR CLUB: Papatoetoe Rugby CLub
POSITION: Centre

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Tass is like a slightly smaller twin of Morgan Harper. Knows how to find the line.
Leumelu is an interesting one as I didn't expect club to view him as having a future here. He's okay but nothing groundbreaking. Currently in the halves due to a mass shortage.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
from what ive seen of these 2, they are good solid players, but nothing really exceptional about them..

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tass is like a slightly smaller twin of Morgan Harper. Knows how to find the line.
Leumelu is an interesting one as I didn't expect club to view him as having a future here. He's okay but nothing groundbreaking. Currently in the halves due to a mass shortage.
If you’re comparing him to Morgan then he’s already a D grade player

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hardly exciting
Talk about writing players off early, perhaps a read of Thurston's Biography might help with gain a better understanding, wherein he talks about being written off as too skinny, too slow and too wild to play professionally.

Before you start jumping up and down, I'm not saying Tass and Leumelu are the next Thurston, just that judging them too early may turn out to be a mistake.

Go Dogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon the change to make dev players available during the season is mainly to help teams with deep injury lists, but it helps battling teams like us to blood some young blokes and see how they go, at least in the first grade training setup. I hope most of ours get some minutes though at some stage, especially Katoa.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talk about writing players off early, perhaps a read of Thurston's Biography might help with gain a better understanding, wherein he talks about being written off as too skinny, too slow and too wild to play professionally.

Before you start jumping up and down, I'm not saying Tass and Leumelu are the next Thurston, just that judging them too early may turn out to be a mistake.

Go Dogs
I love how Thurston always gets bought up in these cases he was the exception to the rule because the vast majority don't come good.

In saying that you're right I doubt that either will play NRL this year anyway there's plenty ahead of them.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Haven’t seen much of Tass but Lemeulu moves well for a big lump. Excited to see how both progress.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
He was considered too skinny before he even made the dogs squad... when he started playing for us in the reserves his talent was noticed very early on

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's the one thing I've like about Leumelu though... His willing, in any position you throw him in he gives his all and does a fair job. Kids a good footy player, nothing ground breaking but I like what he offers in versatility and gives all for his team. Well deserved.

Feel sorry for kids like Nelson and Garlick though, they deserve some credit for the effort they put in week in week out, even if its to try and get them contracts elsewhere.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's the one thing I've like about Leumelu though... His willing, in any position you throw him in he gives his all and does a fair job. Kids a good footy player, nothing ground breaking but I like what he offers in versatility and gives all for his team. Well deserved.

Feel sorry for kids like Nelson and Garlick though, they deserve some credit for the effort they put in week in week out, even if its to try and get them contracts elsewhere.
Don’t feel sorry for them mate they gave it their all but they shithouse. They will cope without footy it’s all good

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t feel sorry for them mate they gave it their all but they shithouse. They will cope without footy it’s all good
As black hearted as Rae Rae's wig you are... :tearsofjoy:

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well boys. Dont die wondering is my advice. Run through a brick wall, don't accept mediocrity, hate losing and break your opposition in 2 legally is my advice. You never know, I might even like you in a dogs jumper.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Leumelu has the Tim Winitana body

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video of him on instagram