Team after the bye

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fully fit we have an interesting conundrum. Cogger, Wakeham, Lewis, Foran, JMK.

We need to move Lewis into the centres or hooker. He needs to play first grade and we can't keep screwing him around with a utility role off the bench. If we don't play Lewis in first grade it'll be Rhyse Martin all over again.

Foran is best left in halves.

So that leave 1 halves spot and one hooking spot.

Cogger misses too many tackles to play hooker, and JMK will eventually come back at hooker (as I don't think he could play in centres).

So our best bet is:
3. Lewis
6. Foran
7. Cogger
9. JMK

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe
11 games
2 tries
1 Try assist (kick)
0 Line break assists

He’s been going ok
What other half in the competition has stats like this
Ash Taylor maybe - At least we arent paying Cogger $1m :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Stats are one thing, while I think Lewis has some potential, the issue is what is his best position?
Cogger is more of an organising half, his kicking game is better and he runs at the line better than Lewis.
Lewis looked great at the tail end of last year but sadly hasnt come close to that this year - I cant remember how many kicks went out on the full just as a start.
Maybe its the coaching and his confidence is shot. I'd like to see him lift back up and reach his potential.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ash Taylor maybe - At least we arent paying Cogger $1m :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Stats are one thing, while I think Lewis has some potential, the issue is what is his best position?
Cogger is more of an organising half, his kicking game is better and he runs at the line better than Lewis.
Lewis looked great at the tail end of last year but sadly hasnt come close to that this year - I cant remember how many kicks went out on the full just as a start.
Maybe its the coaching and his confidence is shot. I'd like to see him lift back up and reach his potential.
It's not called 2nd year syndrome for nothing. The opposition have studied him all off season, hundreds of hours of video watching, learning his plays, what signals he gives away, what foot he steps off, etc. Can't get away with the same stuff in year 2 as you did in year 1. The good players bounce back, learn new tricks, especially halves, develop their game so that what the opposition studied is old news. This is the test year for Lewis and it's unfortunate that he got injured, that interrupts the journey.

Go Dogs

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any chance Ogden could play as a lock forward? I wouldn't mind a backrow of Jackson, CHN and Ogden with To'omaga, Sue, RFM & Elliott/Smith on the bench.

As for fullback, it looks like DWZ has got the #1 locked up and if that's the case Meaney needs to be dropped back to reserves so that he can continue to improve in is preferred position. He doesn't offer much on the wing except for goal-kicking. If he can work on his support play up the middle for the rest of the year and have a big off-season he could be our long term fullback option, meaning we can shift DWZ to centre or wing depending on the progress of Okunbor and Harper.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And for those commenting not to change a winning team, yes we were unlucky Foran got injured and the video ref try that went against us but my god Cronulla were absolutely terrible and still could have easily won had they not kicked at the end. Also we didnt look like scoring with Cogger and Wakeham in the halves. The was good experience for Wakeham, we were lucky that he was on the bench given the circumstances but i hope he doesn't keep his spot moving forward.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Okunbur
3. Hoppa
4. Montoya
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Cogger
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. RFM
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Lewis
15. Ogden
16. Sue
17. To'omaga

I could toss a coin between Holland and Montoya - at least Holland can score an occasional try and set a few up. But Monty is showing a bit of promise and more zip than last year. I'm kind of expecting him to have a breakout game soon.

I could also easily swap DWZ and Hoppa. Hoppa has by far been our most effective fullback in the last few years as far as igniting backline movements and putting wingers away. Just his lack of pace is a worry.

I'm happy with Lewis as bench utility, as long as he can cover dummy half. Would be good for him to show some utility value at NRL level and he can defend as well as anyone. But he doesn't deserve to take Cogger's spot IMO. We're disorganised enough already and Cogger has a far better better kicking game in open field.

C Smith, Elliott and Fualalo are no-goes for me - there's no consistency or improvement there. Elliott may have some potential if he could find his best regularly, but he rarely does and he's a machine for mistakes and silly plays. Meaney can do with a stint in NSW Cup - he needs to work on his acceleration. He's got speed but always gets caught before he gets going. JMK would come straight back in for Lichaa if available.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And for those commenting not to change a winning team, yes we were unlucky Foran got injured and the video ref try that went against us but my god Cronulla were absolutely terrible and still could have easily won had they not kicked at the end. Also we didnt look like scoring with Cogger and Wakeham in the halves. The was good experience for Wakeham, we were lucky that he was on the bench given the circumstances but i hope he doesn't keep his spot moving forward.
Too many ifs, if they hadn't been awarded a try that wasn't, if they hadn't been marched upfield twice via penalties that should never have been given, if Dugan had been correctly called as being off side, they would have scored zero, zich, nada, SWA and we would have won 14 to 0.

Go Dogs

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dwz
2. Okonbur
3. Hoppa
4. Montoya
5. Smith
6. Foran (if injured cogger)
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Nappa ( probably won't back up as the game is 2 days after origin.)
11. Rfm
12.chn
13. Jackson
14.brown
15. Ogden
16. Sue
17. Fulalo
Lewis hasn’t played in weeks and the games he played in first grade this year were diabolical. No thanks.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres a left of field one.
Lewis in the centres inside Montya tighten up defence on that side of the field.
Hoppa in the centres inside Smith (or even swap the two around and put Hoppa on wing).

1. DWZ
2. Montoya
3. Hoppa (inside Smith)
4. Lewis (inside Montoya)
5. Smith
6. Wakeham (Foran will surely be out)
7. Cogger
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Ogden
11. Jackson
12. CHN (but needs to improve on defence - 27 tackles 9 missed today!)
13. RFM

14. Elliott
15. Napa
16. To'omaga
17. Sue

Source?
Bring back Holland and partner with smith.. wasn't Holland drastically the best centre in the nrl not long ago.. Where did I read that article again?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay needs to bite the bullet, name Lewis lock, halves of foran and cogger and keep it that way for the rest of the year....Lewis has the makings of a wade Graham and he is crap at centre seen him play there wasted there

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Nick Meaney
02. Reimis Smith
03. William Hopoate
04. Morgan Harper
05. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
06. Jack Cogger
07. Keiran Foran
08. Ofahiki Ogden
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Renouf To'omaga
11. Josh Jackson
12. Corey Harawira-Neara
13. Aiden Tolman

14. Brandon Wakeham
15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
16. Sauaso Sue
17. Dylan Napa

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bring back Holland and partner with smith.. wasn't Holland drastically the best centre in the nrl not long ago.. Where did I read that article again?
End of last season,last 6 games had best stats of any centre in NRL.This season Pay changed him to left centre and we can’t score more than 2 tries a game.Then he ,Lewis and Martin were dropped and blamed for defence problems.Obviously wasn’t the problem as we still concede triesdown that corridor.Pay refuses to reunite him and Smith.

Banned
Reaction score
Wait up, the team first has to win the fucking BYE.
With their current form, there is no guarantee that will happen!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know when the bye is releasing their team to face the Bulldogs?

Or are we going to cop a 2 point penalty later in the season for something trivial?

Reactions: 086

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He did that in 5 games
Lewis by far more effective than Cogger. Just no comparison. People here want to blame him for 2 kicks out on the fool and several losses in a team that JT or Cooper Cronk couldn’t of saved. Ease up you blokes. Watch the whole game and just momentarily drop your fixation with hating certain players and you may actually have an unprejudiced view of them. As poor as Lichaa has been this year, last week he was far better than Any of JMK’s performances this year and was very important in our teams performance. It is for this reason he deserves to retain his spot for next game. Likewise Hopas best position and most effective for the team is Fullback (Even one of the greatest Fullbacks of all time in Darren Lockyer firmly asserted this last week) and should be playing there.

Our best team moving forward which I say objectively without holding any prejudice views is:

1. Hopa
2. Okenbour
3. DWL
4. Holland
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Ogden
9. Lichaa
10. Tolman
11. CHN
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Napa
15. Fualalo
16. Eliott
17. Sue

18. To’omaga/Smith

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ is the best fullback we have at the club
Send Darren Lockyer an email and argue about it with him. I’m done. I know you have a far better eye for this stuff than him. What experience or qualifications does he have anyway which would make his assertions credible? He’s a nobody.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis by far more effective than Cogger. Just no comparison. People here want to blame him for 2 kicks out on the fool and several losses in a team that JT or Cooper Cronk couldn’t of saved. Ease up you blokes. Watch the whole game and just momentarily drop your fixation with hating certain players and you may actually have an unprejudiced view of them. As poor as Lichaa has been this year, last week he was far better than Any of JMK’s performances this year and was very important in our teams performance. It is for this reason he deserves to retain his spot for next game. Likewise Hopas best position and most effective for the team is Fullback (Even one of the greatest Fullbacks of all time in Darren Lockyer firmly asserted this last week) and should be playing there.

Our best team moving forward which I say objectively without holding any prejudice views is:

1. Hopa
2. Okenbour
3. DWL
4. Holland
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Ogden
9. Lichaa
10. Tolman
11. CHN
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Napa
15. Fualalo
16. Eliott
17. Sue

18. To’omaga/Smith
Injury report on website suggests Foran and also Lewis unlikely to play the game after the bye. I think the best team in the circumstances could look like this:

1. Meaney
2. Okenbour
3. DWZ
4. Holland
5. Smith
6. Hopa/Nu Brown/JMK
7. Cogger
8. Ogden
9. Lichaa
10. Tolman
11. CHN
12. RFM