Supporters to form a rival ticket?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Anthony Griffin with Asst Coach of Pay/OBrien/Demetriou
You really are set on Griffin aren't you? Considering the talent he had at the Broncos (not renewed to let Bennett back) plus the support network he had at Penrith (sacked for Cleary) and the lack of premierships I just can see why you have such a hard on for him. Bellamy moved him on when he was assistant at Melbourne and more recently Gould moved him on from Penrith. Them's 2 pretty good judges of coaching ability. He's got a decent win loss record in the regular season, but his finals' record isn't that great. TBH I'm just not sold on him.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The new coach must be able to oversee the compiling of a virtually totally new roster and will need to be very experienced and calculating.

The pressure to succeed will be immense cos the knives will be out. It must be someone who has the total respect of the players, press, fans and Board, with leadership qualities and great man management to get a new team to gell. So the systems must be tried and true and very successful.

There's very few who fit that bill.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The new coach must be able to oversee the compiling of a virtually totally new roster and will need to be very experienced and calculating.
The pressure to succeed will be immense cos the knives will be out. It must be someone who has the total respect of the players, press, fans and Board, with leadership qualities and great man management to get a new team to gell. So the systems must be tried and true and very successful.
There's very few who fit that bill.
And even fewer who are available.

If we are to change the coach for 2021 then I'd like to see us at the very latest pick and sign the one we choose mid 2020 and give Pay the news, both with NDA's until after the regular season. That way he has couple of months to work out who he wants (players and staff) with no pressure of actually coaching week to week. Then a couple of months to sign the ones up that he can before the pre season training starts. That gives a full pre season working with the new players and the new coach. it'll never work that way, of course.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And even fewer who are available.

If we are to change the coach for 2021 then I'd like to see us at the very latest pick and sign the one we choose mid 2020 and give Pay the news, both with NDA's until after the regular season. That way he has couple of months to work out who he wants (players and staff) with no pressure of actually coaching week to week. Then a couple of months to sign the ones up that he can before the pre season training starts. That gives a full pre season working with the new players and the new coach. it'll never work that way, of course.

Go Dogs
It's hard to see Pay arresting this decline and holding on after the end of this season for mine.

We'll know more after the next few games whether Dean can get on track.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You really are set on Griffin aren't you? Considering the talent he had at the Broncos (not renewed to let Bennett back) plus the support network he had at Penrith (sacked for Cleary) and the lack of premierships I just can see why you have such a hard on for him. Bellamy moved him on when he was assistant at Melbourne and more recently Gould moved him on from Penrith. Them's 2 pretty good judges of coaching ability. He's got a decent win loss record in the regular season, but his finals' record isn't that great. TBH I'm just not sold on him.

Go Dogs
1. He's got the best career winning percentage of any available coach at the moment.
2. He doesn't come with baggage.
3. He knows several of our ex Panthers players.
4. He has rebuild and finals experience.

Griffin has got fucked over twice.

Broncos shafted him to bring Bennett back.
Panthers shafted him ironically for the same reason. Gould all but had Bennett lined up and coming to the Panthers, hence let Griffin go, but the Pathers board put foot down and demanded Cleary in order to keep Nathan at their club.

Hence also why Gould left the Panthers. He'd had enough.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Lichaa is even remotely being considered for a new contract, I'm resurrecting this thread.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes let's organise to stand against the current Board in the February 2020 elections. Surely we could compile a viable alternative including well respected ex-players, administrators, sports people, prominent fans and members. Maybe that possible threat will get the current board more proactive to turn this sinking ship around?
Now the lunatics wanna run the asylum. FMD

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of people might not remember this, but when Lichaa wasn't re-signed by Des, he started playing well. For 3 games he killed it and EVERYONE here was asking for him to be re-signed. Now, those same people are calling for his head.

Hypocritically hilarious.
Not everyone and I'd appreciate you to afford a retraction in order to not associate me with the mentioned decision!

As for Pay, the board can manage a dignified exit for him and sincerely hope they bother to do so and both he and they find a role within the club that he's more suited towards, as he deserves some respect both as a player and also willing to step in that handle the poisoned chalice that no other wanted!
He does need to go though.

As for the board, their role is separate from day to day runnings, yet there are multiple reports/whispers of regular micro-management, which is never a good thing at that level.
The best thing they can do, is seek to repair the rift between the two tickets and bring in those that were good at their job, whilst stepping aside to welcome them in.
The Andersons and Moores would be well advised to exhibit some humility and admit wrong decisions were made in the past, starting by admitting running the club in an 70's-90's style will NEVER work in the modern era.

Another thing for perspective, if there was a relegation system, it would be our reserves/CC that replace us this season, who are at the top of the table!
The reserves would give our FG a run for their money and actually probably result in an upset the way our FG are playing.
There is a future, all you have to do is look at the lower grades.
We are in the top 8 in 4 lower grades.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not everyone and I'd appreciate you to afford a retraction in order to not associate me with the mentioned decision!

As for Pay, the board can manage a dignified exit for him and sincerely hope they bother to do so and both he and they find a role within the club that he's more suited towards, as he deserves some respect both as a player and also willing to step in that handle the poisoned chalice that no other wanted!
He does need to go though.

As for the board, their role is separate from day to day runnings, yet there are multiple reports/whispers of regular micro-management, which is never a good thing at that level.

Another thing for perspective, if there was a relegation system, it would be our reserves/CC that replace us this season, who are at the top of the table!
The reserves would give our FG a run for their money and actually probably result in an upset the way our FG are playing.
There is a future, all you have to do is look at the lower grades.
We are in the top 8 in 4 lower grades.
Wrong to say EVERYONE