Iphone wont update any apple geniuses here.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i bought a 2nd hand iphone 6 which was factory reset and running Ios 9.3.5, The phone says you have an update available, Ios 12.3.1 but the button is grey so i cant click it. in small print underneath it says you need to connect to itunes to install update (Im running windows 7 32bit) So i find itunes for windows 7 and install.
after installation i click the phone icon and click check for updates and it says your phone is up to date (will check again on so and so date) but when i check my phone it says you have an update available ok.

So after googling and reading a few posts they say Itunes needs to be updated so i check for updates nothing happens, i read a few more posts you need to use apple software update ok. So i check for updates and i needed to update a few things so after i do all this, restart both phone and laptop I still cant get itunes to download, I tried through chrome/firefox browser and Imyphone program Im starting to think i got a dodgy phone or my laptop is blocking something.

Any suggestions ?

How fucking hard is it to update a phone so much fucking bullshit. with android i never had trouble will go back to the store tomorrow and see if he can show me what im doing wrong.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly, but has the iPhone itself got enough charge? Usually updates are greyed out when you haven't got battery above a certain percentage.

Other thing could be that iOS update downloaded may have something wrong with it. You can remove it and download it again hopefully following the below:
  1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
  2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps.
  3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update.
  4. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS update.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly, but has the iPhone itself got enough charge? Usually updates are greyed out when you haven't got battery above a certain percentage.

Other thing could be that iOS update downloaded may have something wrong with it. You can remove it and download it again hopefully following the below:
  1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
  2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps.
  3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update.
  4. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS update.
I cant download from phone says i need to connect to Itunes to download and when i download update with itunes the top right download icon just keeps spinning I left it for an hour and still spinning without starting download.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant download from phone says i need to connect to Itunes to download and when i download update with itunes the top right download icon just keeps spinning I left it for an hour and still spinning without starting download.
That's where my genius ends lol. I'll stick to my trusty Samsung Galaxy S10+.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would you buy a second hand iPhone 6

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I prefer android just thought would try iphone for a change.
iTunes is the single biggest piece of malware out there. Do yourself a favour while you still can and return that iPhone. I hope you didn't pay anymore than $80 for it.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you buy a second hand iPhone 6
My android phone was pick pocketed and the country im in is expensive for electronics so i bought a cheap phone until im back in oz.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
iTunes is the single biggest piece of malware out there. Do yourself a favour while you still can and return that iPhone. I hope you didn't pay anymore than $80 for it.
$180.00 after conversion rates and that was cheap for here. had new battery and new screen.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Factory reset the entire thing, sync with iTunes as a new device (update to latest iTunes first), and then see if you can push the update from iTunes to the phone.

You may not be able to upgrade directly from 9.3.x to 12.3.x (might be the issue).

Note warnings about v12.x performance: https://www.gottabemobile.com/9-things-to-know-about-the-iphone-6-ios-12-1-update/

Also make note that you will be unsupported soon as iPhones normally only support 5 OS releases. So IOS v13.x or v14.x will be the last any 6x device supports.

See: https://www.techradar.com/news/ios-13-features

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory reset the entire thing, sync with iTunes as a new device (update to latest iTunes first), and then see if you can push the update from iTunes to the phone.

You may not be able to upgrade directly from 9.3.x to 12.3.x (might be the issue).

Note warnings about v12.x performance: https://www.gottabemobile.com/9-things-to-know-about-the-iphone-6-ios-12-1-update/

Also make note that you will be unsupported soon as iPhones normally only support 5 OS releases. So IOS v13.x or v14.x will be the last any 6x device supports.

See: https://www.techradar.com/news/ios-13-features
I thought that 9.3 to 12 would be the problem but wont start downloading will just sit on waiting to download i tried downloading 10 through firefox and chrome but wont download either turned off firewall and tried so im hoping there is something with my pc that is blocking apple server.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Genius and Apple in the same sentence? :p

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i downloaded the file with chrome on my iphone but says i need ios 11 to install google drive to save file hahahaha will download from android phone and save to my pc then try to install.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So i downloaded the file with chrome on my iphone but says i need ios 11 to install google drive to save file hahahaha will download from android phone and save to my pc then try to install.
Hahaha never a dull moment!

Can't you send the file over via bluetooth or iTunes with IOS v9.35? Can you even inplace upgrade IOS?

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha never a dull moment!

Can't you send the file over via bluetooth or iTunes with IOS v9.35? Can you even inplace upgrade IOS?
No file was saved to cache. Eventually chrome worked on my notebook I just had to leave it for an hour trying to connect to server took 3 minutes to download after that.