Wakeham??

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get that but this is the perfect year to blood him ,off the bench whilst foran is fit but i just think he will surprise you
Fair enough, I'd rather he be playing full games in reggies then getting a few mins off the bench at hooker in NRL.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who would you play in the halves with Cogger if Lewis, Foran and Brown are still all injured in 2 weeks? I don't think Pay's got much choice but to use Wakeham if that's the case. Maybe Hoppa to 5/8?
I agree with what you're saying, there might be no choice.

My worry is more about how Pay intended to use him if Foran was fit for the full game yesterday.

Was he going to use him as a hooker, sub him in for Cogger?

If he's used in the wrong way it won't be a good thing at all.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Waiting for some of the most outrageous statements like we got for Lewis

"I truly believe he has all the trademarks to be a future superstar of the game"

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Waiting for some of the most outrageous statements like we got for Lewis

"I truly believe he has all the trademarks to be a future superstar of the game"
I got called dumb by a guy claiming Lewis would play for QLD and Aus the week before he was dropped lol.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure your right. You get the player to focus on skills etc, and the weight will come. But it's far better to get that confidence around the field first. Plenty of guys like Thurston, Preston Campbell, jamie soward who were very small when they started. Some bulked up but not by that much. The key was that they were introduced to first grade slowly.
I think when Thurston started, players while they were big they were not bigger than those of today's players. In fact on average players have increased their weight by 30kgs compared to the past 10 or so years in most positions and collisions have become far greater. Look at Thurston in his last couple years, he was playing busted because so much was thrown at him in defense and had busted shoulders but like a true legend he kept up his standards. I don't think many if any players can do what he did so comparing Wakeman to Thurston, hmmm I don't think so.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm not sure your right. You get the player to focus on skills etc, and the weight will come. But it's far better to get that confidence around the field first. Plenty of guys like Thurston, Preston Campbell, jamie soward who were very small when they started. Some bulked up but not by that much. The key was that they were introduced to first grade slowly.
Alfie Langer.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wakeham will be fine he has all the skills and will only get better.
Remember he's only 19 its not all about his size its technique.
Like all the great little blokes perfected Thurston,Johns,Langer,Campbell playing above their weight.

fr333k

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
His defence isn’t anywhere near ready for nrl, he can’t defend in Canterbury cup
I just hope pay doesn’t ask to much of the young bloke before his ready
What's worrying is, Pay was going to use him as a sub for Lichaa... if he cant defend.. shows how dumb pay really is.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think when Thurston started, players while they were big they were not bigger than those of today's players. In fact on average players have increased their weight by 30kgs compared to the past 10 or so years in most positions and collisions have become far greater. Look at Thurston in his last couple years, he was playing busted because so much was thrown at him in defense and had busted shoulders but like a true legend he kept up his standards. I don't think many if any players can do what he did so comparing Wakeman to Thurston, hmmm I don't think so.
Considering jt only retired last year and could still cut it size aint everything in league yes he needs to gain muscle

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I get that but this is the perfect year to blood him ,off the bench whilst foran is fit but i just think he will surprise you
Off the bench would be perfect to blood him if he keeps showing his potential. He could be a super sub, even though Pay has NFI how to use bench.

If Foran is injured then yeah play him if no one else available.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off the bench would be perfect to blood him if he keeps showing his potential. He could be a super sub, even though Pay has NFI how to use bench.

If Foran is injured then yeah play him if no one else available.
Unfortunately, for Pay, off the bench meant putting him as hooker to replace Lichaa.

Only reason he played in the halves is because Foran got injured.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looked very nervous with a few of his kicks but in the back end of the second half he hit the best bomb that I have seen a Bulldog kick in a long time. It actually had enough hang time to be legitimately dangerous.
Best part was how critical he was with himself after those kicks.. kidknows he can do much better. I'm so hoping his our next Polly once he bulks up.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham will be our hooker...done

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
His debut performance was dare I say it... a little bit Aaron Groomish.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im happy Wakeham got a run, but if Martin wasnt released what would have happened?

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wakeham is the most natural looking halfback that we have.

Still very green, though with the right coaches and development around him, he should be a mainstay in the halves.

Cogger is improving and i think this kid would make a good hooker in a couple of years once he bulks up and gets those shoulders hardened. He strikes me as a Ben Hunt type of player where they would be much better hookers than halves