10 Paul Vaughan
14 Dale Finucane
16 Cameron Murray
17 Wade Graham

Last edited:

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Nathan Cleary isn't ready in time for State Of Origin 3 there is talk of the possibility of Mitchell Pearce as a replacement. Is Pearce the best option? In my opinion, no. He had several years as NSW half back and, even though up against the best Queensland teams, wasn't able to get the wins when needed. So many times poor options where taken and games that seemed winnable slipped away. If selected, is this going to play on his mind and adversely effect his game. How would it effect other players in the team? How would it effect their confidence in him? Maloney got NSW the win in origin 2 and deserves the role of dominant half. Would Pearce be able to fit in with this scenario? The talk before Origin 2 and Maloney was selected was that Pearce wanted to control the team. Pearce had some good games with the Knights before Origin 1, but since then his form has slipped. In his last game NRL Fantasy Coach lists him with 7 missed tackles. Pearce can be a very good player at times. He won one Premiership with the Roosters and played with Maloney there. However, so many times he seems to struggle in the big occasions. Wasn't this a major reason the Roosters bought Cooper Cronk?

Who are the alternatives? - Wade Graham did a good job when Cleary came off in Origin 2. Jack Wighton plays in the halves at the Raiders but only this season from my limited knowledge. He has potential but at present seems likely to come up with an error at a crucial time. Chad Townsend from the Sharks has played with Maloney and won a premiership with him. He always seems very calm and composed.

If Cleary can't play it will be very interesting to see who the selectors come up with as his replacement. It will also be crucial to NSW's chances of success in Origin 3. Lets hope Cleary is able to play or if not the selectors get it right with a replacement.

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
State of origin and Mitchell pierce should never ever go in the same sentence again.

End of story

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I believe Pearce was always one of our best in those tough years. He was just an easy scape goat, which as a Halfback is fair enough.

In saying the above, I do believe NSW has to move on. Graham did a great job in the 5/8 role in Game II and Maloney seems to play his best when he's in charge.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pearce has been the form half of this years competition and streets ahead of Nathan Cleary.
A Pearce and Maloney combination would be dominant.
Joey Johns himself would not of won a series against the dominance of Queensland on his own so I don’t blame Pearce for that.
He has matured as a player and would compliment Maloney well.
Wade Graham is too valuable as a bench player.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Pearce has been the form half of this years competition and streets ahead of Nathan Cleary.
A Pearce and Maloney combination would be dominant.
Joey Johns himself would not of won a series against the dominance of Queensland on his own so I don’t blame Pearce for that.
He has matured as a player and would compliment Maloney well.
Wade Graham is too valuable as a bench player.
I dispute that. The Blues came so close on many occasions against the dominance of QLD. In 8 of those series, Mitchell Pearce played halfback in 4 of them. If it was a Joey-Johns-Like halfback playing, we would've won a few.

Cleary should be picked because of his form with Maloney - plane and simple.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pearce clearly doesn't want to play Origin anymore. He was essentially picked for games one and two but he declined because he had minor injuries which didn't prevent him from playing for Newcastle and any other would have played through if selected.

He obviously can't handle the scrutiny and pressure and doesn't want to deal with the backlash anymore.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Pearce clearly doesn't want to play Origin anymore. He was essentially picked for games one and two but he declined because he had minor injuries which didn't prevent him from playing for Newcastle and any other would have played through if selected.

He obviously can't handle the scrutiny and pressure and doesn't want to deal with the backlash anymore.
Sauce?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I dispute that. The Blues came so close on many occasions against the dominance of QLD. In 8 of those series, Mitchell Pearce played halfback in 4 of them. If it was a Joey-Johns-Like halfback playing, we would've won a few.

100% The whole blame can't and shouldn't be laid at Pearce's feet but the amount of times he came up with a dumb play can be - some players skills just don't convert to Origin.

I guess people expect Cleary to come out and break the game open... He's not that guy, but he is a high 80% goal kicker, potentially one of the better general play kickers and a strong defender. If he works on his playmaking and continue improving he could be our long term 7.

Wahesh

Reaction score
100% The whole blame can't and shouldn't be laid at Pearce's feet but the amount of times he came up with a dumb play can be - some players skills just don't convert to Origin.

I guess people expect Cleary to come out and break the game open... He's not that guy, but he is a high 80% goal kicker, potentially one of the better general play kickers and a strong defender. If he works on his playmaking and continue improving he could be our long term 7.
I also think a lot of people expected him to be a player like his father - they are nothing alike (acknowledging that Wayne was a lock).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When Keary was ruled out for game one, Pearce was next in line. He said he couldn't play so they picked Walker. Same with gane two, they were going to pick Pearce but he pulled out so they picked Maloney. It was widely reported both times and Fittler confirmed as much.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

For starters the OP was running with the scenario that Cleary wasn’t ready for game 3.
For what it’s worth if Cleary is in fact good to go then I would stick with him too.

Regarding your Joey Johns claim I think you are being a little optimistic there.
Out of 4 series of Mitchel Pearce playing halfback I don’t think one player would make such a difference as to entirely switch the series result on a few occasions.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Queensland squad for Origin III

Will Chambers, Daly Cherry-Evans (c), David Fifita, Dane Gagai, Matt Gillett, Tim Glasby, Ben Hunt, Felise Kaufusi, Moses Mbye, Josh McGuire, Michael Morgan,
Cameron Munster, Corey Norman, Corey Oates, Joe Ofahengaue, Josh Papalii, Christian Welch

Wahesh

Reaction score
For starters the OP was running with the scenario that Cleary wasn’t ready for game 3.
For what it’s worth if Cleary is in fact good to go then I would stick with him too.

Regarding your Joey Johns claim I think you are being a little optimistic there.
Out of 4 series of Mitchel Pearce playing halfback I don’t think one player would make such a difference as to entirely switch the series result on a few occasions.
Well the thing is that Pearce never was an Origin-type player. We gave him a few goes and lost every series. Then 2014 comes, we replace the halves and put a different pair in (Reynolds and Hokko) and bang! We win. Pearce returns in 2015… and we lose again!

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Their forward pack sucks. It they can't get wrestlemania, they are in for another pumping LOL.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Fittler doesn't pick Klemmer it would be even more proof that all of the coke and pills have rotted his brain.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That Queensland squad is pretty weak. They were up against it as it was and even more so with Ponga out. I'm glad Welch made it and Ofahengue makes a difference. They miss Arrow a lot though...

Norman will have to have a great debut for them to be any chance. Hunt defending for 80 minutes at hooker again though is a liability.