News Canterbury Bulldogs veterans Aiden Tolman and Josh Jackson back besieged coach Dean Pay

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not exactly an interesting article at all, but I just had to post it for the title. DT have given Tolman a new Lebanese name

https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/997f43b14720b41f3e3e61b9af43623e

Canterbury Bulldogs veterans Aiden Tolmana and Josh Jackson back besieged coach Dean Pay

June 26, 2019

AS journalists gathered at Belmore morning, Canterbury’s media boss called Josh Jackson and Aiden Tolman into a brief huddle before sending them back to front questions.

Which was unusual, given the pair are two of the Bulldogs’ most senior players and haven’t been seen this season receiving last-minute coaching on how to handle a media grilling.

However, only an hour earlier, The Daily Telegraph’s sports editor-at-large, Phil Rothfield, had told Macquarie Sports Radio that coach Dean Pay, whose contract was extended until the end of 2020 back in March, could be gone in the next six weeks.

With the club anchored at the bottom of the ladder and facing a wooden spoon finish, Pay’s future is uncertain.

Josh Jackson and Aiden Tolman were called into a brief huddle before sending them back to front questions.

Following the unusual pre-media pep talk, veteran forward Tolman was quick to back Pay.

“Obviously we support Dean and he’s our coach and moving forward, he’s signed until the end of next year,” he said.

The pressure on Pay has only amplified in recent weeks. The Bulldogs have now lost four straight games and have conceded 74 points in two weeks against St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters.

Tolman conceded the playing group needed to own their unfavourable results and poor performances on the field.

“The results we’ve had over the past fortnight... he’s not on the field. He’s not the one playing the game. the responsibility has got to be on the players as well,” he said.

Dean Pay is under incresing pressure
“We’ve got to work collectively as a group and it’s only the people inside these walls that can fix it. That’s starting with the players, the coach, the support staff and every body else involved.

“I mean, everyone is under pressure not just Dean. That’s the nature of the sport.”

Then it was captain Josh Jackson’s turn to defend his coach.

“To start with, we are all behind Deano, he’s a fantastic coach,” Jackson said. “He’s great for this place, he gives you a lot of confidence and prepares us really well.

“About three months ago he signed on for another year, so as far as I’m concerned Dean will be here for the next 12 months.”

The Bulldogs take on the Cronulla Sharks at ANZ Stadium this weekend and Tolman believes it’s the perfect opportunity for his side to get back into the winners circle.

“We’ve all got to be better. What better way to do it than on a Sunday afternoon against quality opposition in the Sharks,” Tolman said.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Fuck reading it but is Tolmana a relation of Tolman's from Fiji or something?

I remember all these articles coming out before Des got the flick! Infact I think Tolmana did one too.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay has full support of the canterbury board;)
We all know how that ends.....

Doginator

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tolman to help your coach please note: When attacking 10 metres out on the 4th tackle FFS get out of the way

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman to help your coach please note: When attacking 10 metres out on the 4th tackle FFS get out of the way
Jacko to help your coach please note:
Go and have surgery. This seasons done and dusted anyway. Come back next year as the Jacko of old

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Tolman must be the biggest brown tongue in the history of sports.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well you dont hear players publicly bagging their coach..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No player I've ever heard of in professional sports has ever bagged their coach before they move on. I've seen plenty of players do so after the coach moves the player on. It's just another excuse to vent at players though. It's getting more annoying to see the fans constantly venting than seeing the team lose.

It's not like expectations were high during the pre-season. Hopes might have been, but generally the expectations were low. Now that those low expectations have become a reality people are carrying on like spoiled brats because reality has set in.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
No player I've ever heard of in professional sports has ever bagged their coach before they move on. I've seen plenty of players do so after the coach moves the player on. It's just another excuse to vent at players though. It's getting more annoying to see the fans constantly venting than seeing the team lose.

It's not like expectations were high during the pre-season. Hopes might have been, but generally the expectations were low. Now that those low expectations have become a reality people are carrying on like spoiled brats because reality has set in.
I think the reasons are a little more then people not being realistic. Yes people knew what to expect but somehow the team and Coach haven't even met those low expectations. How can you really defend the chopping and changing every week, the poor playing favourites and the lack of individual improvement from players and Coach. The player's need to stay out of the press and it seems to be the only thing they do now because we all know they never turn up game day. You need to climb off your high horse mate we should be a bit better then what we are.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Plenty of players bag their coach once they've been moved on?? Really? Just say it.. You're talking about Ennis aren't you?

If Ennis hadn't started the ball rolling we'd still be playing desball

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score

I personally knew this was going to be a shit season, I also knew we were easy spoon favourites. What I can’t understand is picking piss poor players when there are others not getting a chance, players getting picked out of position and favouritism. Fuck that.
A good coach would put the broom through the place. Players like tolman, Elliot, cogger,
Holland, Montoya, Etc, should be told to try and find another club as they don’t have a future at the bulldogs.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am so fed up so sick and tired of their politics and political correctness !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In response to everyone. I am not defending anybody. I'm just sick of the constant whinging. People whinge about everything from players, coaching staff and the board. It's gotten very old and it's virtually useless. Changes that need to be made won't be hurried along regardless of the level of whining people do.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dean Pay's leadership group is defending him, no surprises.

At the end of the day our leadership group is the worst in the comp. We need more leaders in the spine. Our attack hasn't fired for years because our best players have been forwards.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Plenty of players bag their coach once they've been moved on?? Really? Just say it.. You're talking about Ennis aren't you?

If Ennis hadn't started the ball rolling we'd still be playing desball
That famous frozen song comes to mind.