Brandon Smith/Harry Grant

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can't "sack" players, both parties sign the contract and both must abide by the terms of the contract. For sure we can pay them and not play them, but that just wastes salary cap space.

Go Dogs
And the board can sack any **** they want. Look at bellamy.
Your so full of shit my eyes hurt.
I bet your mother wanted to tap u on the head !

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who "the current coach" is didn't piss off Stimson or DWZ, that's a fact, it actually happened, it didn't cost us signatures. Whereas you are simply guessing that it maybe just might piss off some unknown player at some undetermined time in the future. You're speculating, crystal ball gazing, whilst I am stating facts, I'm sorry if you can't see the obvious difference. Perhaps we can continue this discussion when you actually have some facts, something that has actually happened, to back up your assertions.

Go Dogs
Yeah I know it didn't
Piss them off...go to a club who just signed me for overs and no expectations as we are cellar dwellers who clearly mistakenly accept complacency as success

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think turbos are completely out of the question. Our club with the new way we manage cap versus.
Des hasler the master of back ended contracts lol. I cant see us out bidding desies scams.
He will just pay them in 2027. Simple.
Exactly this. Manly will back end the Trob bros big time. Both will get 8 to 10 year contracts. 6-13 is the magic formula Dessie uses for an 8 year deal. That is, say they settle for $1m pa each, then year 1 they each get 60% of that on the cap. Year 2, 70%, Year 3, 80%, etc, etc, Year 7 they get 120% and year 8, 130% with rachet clauses as well to incorporate a % of the increase in the cap each year.

Hasler and the previous board did this ad nauseum at the dogs, such that we ended up with ridiculous commitments of the Beast on 800k in his final year, playing mostly Reggies because he couldnt get fit. By back ending and including a rachet, clubs can tie up their superstars and stockpile them. Fuck investing in junior players, let other clubs do that, players will want to come to the successful club for unders to be coached by the successful coach.

The fact the NRL sit on their hands and allow this is the joke.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly this. Manly will back end the Trob bros big time. Both will get 8 to 10 year contracts. 6-13 is the magic formula Dessie uses for an 8 year deal. That is, say they settle for $1m pa each, then year 1 they each get 60% of that on the cap. Year 2, 70%, Year 3, 80%, etc, etc, Year 7 they get 120% and year 8, 130% with rachet clauses as well to incorporate a % of the increase in the cap each year.

Hasler and the previous board did this ad nauseum at the dogs, such that we ended up with ridiculous commitments of the Beast on 800k in his final year, playing mostly Reggies because he couldnt get fit. By back ending and including a rachet, clubs can tie up their superstars and stockpile them. Fuck investing in junior players, let other clubs do that, players will want to come to the successful club for unders to be coached by the successful coach.

The fact the NRL sit on their hands and allow this is the joke.
Let me make sure I get this right, just asking questions;

The registered contracts with the NRL show different amounts to what the players actually get paid?

There is no large backloading of the contracts, just ratchet clauses for the Salary Cap increases, which, as long as they are reasonable, would comply with the no backloading requirement?

When the contracts are added up each year the team stays under the salary cap for that Year?

What happens when the salary cap auditor compares the players contract with the players tax return?

Is there a discrepancy or does the player commit tax fraud and lodge a false tax return?

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What happens when the salary cap auditor compares the players contract with the players tax return?
I'm not even sure the salary cap auditor can look that closely into things. Most likely just at the payments and TPAs the clubs are dispensing to the players.

I'd be very suprised if they actually have direct access to players personal financial details (like the ATO do). Will have to get in touch with an ex player mate of mine and ask him if this was ever the case when he played.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not even sure the salary cap auditor can look that closely into things. Most likely just at the payments and TPAs the clubs are dispensing to the players.
I'd be very suprised if they actually have direct access to players personal financial details (like the ATO do). Will have to get in touch with an ex player mate of mine and ask him if this was ever the case when he played.
It's relatively new (negotiated in 2017) and included in the current NRL contracts, for both tax returns and bank accounts. I don't know the exact terminology but it requires the NRL to demonstrate that they have a reasonable suspicion that a breach in the salary cap has occurred. It was raised by the police strike force Nuralda in 2016 when they were investigating NRL players and betting corruption.

In other sporting codes the process is for the governing body to request certain aspects from the players tax return and bank accounts, they are commonly provide and certified by an accountant (CA or CPA). I'm not aware of anyone simply handing over their tax return in total.

Go Dogs

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldnt mind that Brandon Smith in the blue n white.

Would definitely bring mongrel and passion to the majority of the pussycats currently in our squad

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldnt mind that Brandon Smith in the blue n white. Would definitely bring mongrel and passion to the majority of the pussycats currently in our squad
Cameron and Brandon Smith won't leave the Storm. Nor will Harry Grant.

Harry will learn under Brandon and Cameron and when Cameron retires take over as hooker with Brandon probably moving into the back row or lock.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cameron and Brandon Smith won't leave the Storm. Nor will Harry Grant.

Harry will learn under Brandon and Cameron and when Cameron retires take over as hooker with Brandon probably moving into the back row or lock.
But why would B Smith want to go from spine money and prestige to 2ndrow?

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's relatively new (negotiated in 2017) and included in the current NRL contracts, for both tax returns and bank accounts. I don't know the exact terminology but it requires the NRL to demonstrate that they have a reasonable suspicion that a breach in the salary cap has occurred. It was raised by the police strike force Nuralda in 2016 when they were investigating NRL players and betting corruption.

In other sporting codes the process is for the governing body to request certain aspects from the players tax return and bank accounts, they are commonly provide and certified by an accountant (CA or CPA). I'm not aware of anyone simply handing over their tax return in total.

Go Dogs
Tax returns would in most cases show more income than what a player is getting paid by a club.

For example. Player X. Has alot of development properties. He has to declare his net income for that property.

Now think about the building game. A club can in MANY ways discretely help player X develop his investment property without inflating his NRL contract

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tax returns would in most cases show more income than what a player is getting paid by a club.

For example. Player X. Has alot of development properties. He has to declare his net income for that property.

Now think about the building game. A club can in MANY ways discretely help player X develop his investment property without inflating his NRL contract
I want Folau's property investments investigated :grinning:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

I can only assume the income is split into where it comes from, that would be normal protocol. So if a players earns investment income this year and didn’t buy/build the property this year or declare it last year then how did he come by an investment property to earn income from ie; what income did the original money come from? If he borrowed it then show us the loan? Remember the auditor has access to his bank account/s as well.

Not saying it’s impossible but forensic auditors are not stupid, are highly trained and have plenty of experience in finding this sort of shit. Of course brown paper bags are hard to trace, but the amount is limited until it becomes obvious by the ongoing splashing of cash.

Go Dogs