News George Burgess facing long suspension for eye gouge (UPDATE: 9 match suspension)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
South Sydney front-rower George Burgess is facing one of the longest NRL suspensions in years after his eye-gouging charge was sent straight to the judiciary.

The match review committee met this morning and found the incident was too serious for a grading.

Burgess gouged veteran Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah in the match at Bankwest Stadium last night.

The Souths prop missed the opening three rounds of the competition this year because of a four-week gouging suspension in a Test match against New Zealand last year.

Raiders forward Hudson Young was banned for five matches earlier this season for gouging.

Burgess could be facing at least double that penalty considering his priors.

In the early stages of Thursday’s match Farah was pulled down just short of the tryline and Burgess pressed down on his face around the eye area.

Burgess could be in trouble.

He was put on report by referee Adam Gee.

North Queensland’s Josh McGuire has also faced the judiciary on gouging charges this year.

McGuire escaped suspension, although he did have to pay a $3350 fine.

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett did his best to hose down the incident but admitted Burgess put himself in a bad position.

Burgess is facing a lengthy suspension. Picture by Phil Hillyard.
“Obviously there was a hand on the face there,” Bennett conceded.

“I can’t definitely say it was an eye gouge or what it was.”

“There was just no need to put himself in that position.

“I’m not condemning him for it in the sense I don’t know whether his fingers actually made contact with the eye or not.

“But the point is it was just totally unwarranted.”

South Sydney lost the match 14-9 and Burgess suffered a hip injury later in the game.

League legends Andrew Johns and Johnathan Thurston called for a lengthy suspension to stamp out the practice.

“Back in the wild west days you eyer gouge someone you’d get 18 months for it,” said Johns.

“If they’re going to be consistent he’ll get four weeks.”

Burgess was found guilty of a gouge in a Test match last season.
Thurston called the move “a low act” and said harsher measures had to be taken.

“Imagine if he scratches his eye, he’d lose half his eyesight,” said Thurston.

“If they’re going to deter anyone from doing it they need to throw the book at him.”

Burgess has yet to comment on the gouge, but after his similar effort on Watene-Zelezniak he claimed such play was not part of his game.

“It is not in my makeup as a rugby league player and never has been,” Burgess tweeted.

“I sincerely apologise to anyone who thinks bad of me after seeing the footage.

“I accept the punishment but I will never accept that I gouged a fellow players eye intentionally. I have too much respect for the players I play with and against.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/de441f1500da798b180d64a0b463303f

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no way he can say it wasn't intentional.
The movement of the fingers around his eye and then pressing down once it is found is undeniably deliberate.
Given Hudson Young got 5 weeks for a first incident and this is George's second occurrence within 12 months, he should get 8 weeks (5 weeks with 150% loading - rounded up) as a minimum.
Rub this shit out of the game it has no place.

How McGuire the grub has been caught twice this year and only got fines baffles me.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Footage disagree's with his "not deliberate" comment that's for sure. Examples need to be made after a spate of grubby and very dangerous things of late, just wish the NRL wasn't rigged and they would do it no matter who the player is.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s done Souths a favour, ill disciplined, immobile and hands like feet, offered something in their premiership year but it’s been a downhill slide since. I’m sure Uncle Wayne is working on a way of getting rid of him and Tom without upsetting Sam

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s done Souths a favour, ill disciplined, immobile and hands like feet, offered something in their premiership year but it’s been a downhill slide since. I’m sure Uncle Wayne is working on a way of getting rid of him and Tom without upsetting Sam
Skeletor: "OK, that's it I'm sick of your shit burgess, both of you can piss off to another NRL club or back to the uk".

(Sam burgess talking like he's got three dicks in his mouth as always) "phruts mullclig tri hair danyne maddi scrumph, nil gort lew oure"

Translation: "that's bullshit, you can't let my brothers go, I'll cry straight to papa crowe, he'll sort you out"

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This should be him done for the year, hopefully he gets smashed.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
South Sydney front-rower George Burgess is facing one of the longest NRL suspensions in years after his eye-gouging charge was sent straight to the judiciary.

The match review committee met this morning and found the incident was too serious for a grading.

Burgess gouged veteran Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah in the match at Bankwest Stadium last night.

The Souths prop missed the opening three rounds of the competition this year because of a four-week gouging suspension in a Test match against New Zealand last year.

Raiders forward Hudson Young was banned for five matches earlier this season for gouging.

Burgess could be facing at least double that penalty considering his priors.

In the early stages of Thursday’s match Farah was pulled down just short of the tryline and Burgess pressed down on his face around the eye area.

Burgess could be in trouble.

He was put on report by referee Adam Gee.

North Queensland’s Josh McGuire has also faced the judiciary on gouging charges this year.

McGuire escaped suspension, although he did have to pay a $3350 fine.

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett did his best to hose down the incident but admitted Burgess put himself in a bad position.

Burgess is facing a lengthy suspension. Picture by Phil Hillyard.

“I’m not condemning him for it in the sense I don’t know whether his fingers actually made contact with the eye or not.

South Sydney lost the match 14-9 and Burgess suffered a hip injury later in the game.

League legends Andrew Johns and Johnathan Thurston called for a lengthy suspension to stamp out the practice.

“Back in the wild west days you eyer gouge someone you’d get 18 months for it,” said Johns.

“If they’re going to be consistent he’ll get four weeks.”

Burgess was found guilty of a gouge in a Test match last season.
Thurston called the move “a low act” and said harsher measures had to be taken.

“Imagine if he scratches his eye, he’d lose half his eyesight,” said Thurston.

“If they’re going to deter anyone from doing it they need to throw the book at him.”

Burgess has yet to comment on the gouge, but after his similar effort on Watene-Zelezniak he claimed such play was not part of his game.

“It is not in my makeup as a rugby league player and never has been,” Burgess tweeted.

“I sincerely apologise to anyone who thinks bad of me after seeing the footage.

“I accept the punishment but I will never accept that I gouged a fellow players eye intentionally. I have too much respect for the players I play with and against.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/de441f1500da798b180d64a0b463303f
There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Burgess should have been sent off!!!!
What do you have to do in today's game to be sent off???? A penalty is just not good enough!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Burgess should have been sent off!!!!
What do you have to do in today's game to be sent off???? A penalty is just not good enough!
It’s a bit ridiculous isn’t it! You get more punishment during a game for holding down too long in a tackle then being knuckle deep in someone’s eye socket.....

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny Edwards with the wasting time tactics.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
8-12 weeks for that with no pay.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly I believe it should be 12 weeks. Send a strong message this sort of thing will NOT be tolerated.

When will they sit for this one?

I can see one of three scenarios unfolding here.

SCENARIO 1:
Public believe it should be: 10-12 weeks.
NRL give him (given Souths are NRL darlings): 4 weeks.

SCENARIO 2:
NRL give him: 8 weeks.
Souths argue punishment
NRL fold and give him 4 weeks.

SCENARIO 3:
NRL give him: Whatever.
Souths bring up McGuire as an example.
NRL drop all punishment and fine him.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Obviously Bennett wasn't watching close enough and his comments are just plain dumb.. The club would have looked at the incident straight away on replay. There is NO doubt that it was deliberate and that it was an eye gouge.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Squirrel grip, eye gouge, what is next for the grubby Barge-Arse twins?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a bit ridiculous isn’t it! You get more punishment during a game for holding down too long in a tackle then being knuckle deep in someone’s eye socket.....
Its more then just ridiculous, its fucking disgraceful!!! There are not many worse offenses in the game. It's totally deliberate, and could seriously affect someone's longterm eye sight!
Referees are fucking cowards these days. When was the last time you saw someone sent off??