Gilded
Reaction score
Senior Dogs want more respect shown to Pay's regime
Author
Alicia NewtonNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 26 Jun 2019, 06:00 PM

Share on social media
Canterbury stalwart Aiden Tolman has labelled criticism of Dean Pay's coaching ability as "unfair" and credits the Bulldogs coach for bringing an old-school mentality back to the club.

The Bulldogs pose the worst figures for attack and defence after 14 games of the Telstra Premiership which has seen pressure begin to mount on Pay, who extended his deal by a further 12 months in a show of faith by the club in March.

Speculation around Pay's future began to surface again following the side's fourth consecutive loss a fortnight ago to the Roosters.

"I think it is unfair, Dean is our coach moving forward and they've re-signed him for another year after this one," Tolman said on Wednesday.

"I think he's brought that Bulldog attitude back. He's an old player, with the change of the board that's come on board.

"I loved Des as a coach and I'm not there to bag anyone out but Dean has brought in what he wants to do and what he thinks the Bulldogs is.

"There's been a lot of pain over the last two years and Dean is trying to fix it in the way he thinks is going to work.

"That's who the players want and who we see as coach but you can understand this year our performances haven't been up to scratch so you have to take it too."

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman.©Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Tolman is the most experienced player in the Bulldogs line-up and will notch up his 250th NRL appearance against the Sharks on Sunday.

He's been around long enough to ride the wave of coaching changes and innuendo at Belmore.

"I suppose that's happened here for the last four or five years," Tolman said.

"It's not new to a lot of the guys here but when you're losing games the pressure does build. That's professional sport and you've got to understand that's what happens.

"Only the people within these walls can change that starting with us as players, the coaching staff and support staff.

"We're the only ones that can turn it around. You can let the pressure build and it can take hold of you and that will be the end of you."

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson ran a similar notion to the media on Wednesday, putting an end to any suggestions the players were struggling to adapt to Pay's coaching ways.

"I'm sure to Deano [the speculation is unhelpful] but as far as I'm concerned and the players are concerned to start with we're all behind Deano," Jackson said.

"He's a fantastic coach and great for this place. He's really good for the players, gives us confidence and prepares us really well.

"Three months ago he signed on for another year so as far as I'm concerned and the club is concerned Dean will be here for the next 12 months."
LOL, fuck off Tolman

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why don’t they show some respect to the thousands of loyal supporters like myself who purchase membership in good faith early in the season hoping to see some kind of footy played and being competitive.
Instead I sit in that Kennel until full time no matter what showing my support
I call that respect for my club.
Far out mate, you’re a brave man to sit through that shit we serve on the field week after week. Eventually when we do get better and maybe one day win a premiership it’s the supporters like you who deserve the GF win more than anyone!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For some strange reason I respect the players opinion more than us (me included) wankers on TK. If they didn’t want to say anything bad, against the coaching staff, then they could have easily dodged the interview. Of course it’s just not feasible that the coaching staff are doing the best job possible, makes more sense for them to just to flat out lie. Far more logical to believe the undisclosed sauces (sic) on TK.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For some strange reason I respect the players opinion more than us (me included) wankers on TK. If they didn’t want to say anything bad, against the coaching staff, then they could have easily dodged the interview. Of course it’s just not feasible that the coaching staff are doing the best job possible, makes more sense for them to just to flat out lie. Far more logical to believe the undisclosed sauces (sic) on TK.

Go Dogs
Yeah man!!! We’re actually going to disclose our sources on a public forum...geeeezz

Go Dogs

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing back the old school mentality??
This bloke Tolman still hogs the ball on the fourth tackle.
Please find a new club or better yet, retire....

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some strange reason I respect the players opinion more than us (me included) wankers on TK.
Good to hear mate .. acknowledgement is the first step

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You guys realise they have to say positive or neutral things about the club/coach? It doesn't mean deep down they believe it.
Why should we be positive about a coach who isn’t making a good attempt at picking teams etc

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why should we be positive about a coach who isn’t making a good attempt at picking teams etc
I know I have supported Dean Pay in the past. I also know he hasn't achieved that much.
But to achieve anything with this rabble of a team would be impossible for any other coach.
The team is full of over paid under achievers. There will be a clean out, and I cant wait for that to happen.
Even though some players are classed as internationals, they are hardly performing like internationals.
There is no effort. The coach can only do so much.
Like I have said before, you cant win a Melbourne Cup with a camel. Thats what some want from Pay.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't read a lot into this article. As mentioned by others already the players aren't going to burn their bridges even if they've got information that Pay will be leaving.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey Tolman pay some respect to the ruck and get the fuck out of it on the fifth you fucking spud you and your mates are part of the worst bulldogs forward pack of all time and are the last ***** that should be demanding respect for pays systems or the way you play
Fuck right off

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I work with ass kissers like tolman, and yes they normally get perks and leg ups for tongue bashing the bosses asshole.. so I wouldn't be surprised if tolmans career is based on sucking up to coaches.. hasler had a chub for him also

• 2012 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach's award
  • 2013 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach's award
  • 2017 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach's award

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Hey Dean why do you call yourself twin turbo??

Go Flogs

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whole place is under performing, for all the close losses that could of gone the other way and the improvement as a side that comes with time we have gone backwards.
Gotta defend for the 80 or the spoon is headed to Belmore and Pay is under the pump.
Society is a disgrace and someone has gotta inspire.

MR SS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Someone block this guy he fucking burnsssss meee.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Aiden Tolman has labelled criticism of Dean Pay's coaching ability as "unfair" and credits the Bulldogs coach for bringing an old-school mentality back to the club.
Old school mentality like this?

upload_2019-6-26_22-24-33.png